How come the media isn't covering the Ukraine right now...

Elzo69Renaissance
Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2014 in The Social Lounge
Manifest destiny is alive and well

Comments

• Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After Crimea, more and more parts of Ukraine have been attempting to join Russia by all means necessary
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because it's not that big of a deal right now.

That's their problem for now, not ours.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im starting to realize that @vibe is one of the biggest trolls on this forum.
  • VIBE
    not even close, but I'll take it
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VIBE wrote: »
    not even close, but I'll take it

maybe I took it too far...but u r nonetheless
  • VIBE
    nah, my views and opinions are unpopular, but that doesn't make me a troll.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its been on cnn all day... along with that damn plane (smh give up) and that ferry...
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont want peeps to be scared of WW3
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Because media rather worry about a plane that has ? to do with USA except for 3 people
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    because it's immediate effect has not reached the USA as yet.
    the implications are flying under the radar, not to alert American citizens of its impact
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    because the united states and the european unions is taking a MAJOR L
  • mixtapedude
    mixtapedude Members Posts: 154 ✭✭
    they are covering the ?
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MzKB wrote: »
    the implications are flying under the radar, not to alert American citizens of its impact

ok so why was it on the news 24/7 a few weeks ago?
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How come the media isn't covering Chicago right now?
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CracceR wrote: »
    MzKB wrote: »

ok so why was it on the news 24/7 a few weeks ago?

was is the key word
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Afghanistan is pretty ? because Americas "gifts" bought with lobby money from Halliburton the NRA so they can buy weapons from weapons manufacturers
    so, yeah, the fact that you tossed the NRA in there makes it likely we can assume you don't know what you're talking about.

• janklow
    So the NRA doesn't lobby for gun control or have a vested interest in the production and distribution of American branded and produced weaponry being sold internationally?
    i think the NRA lobbies AGAINST gun control. but no, i don't think they're lobbying for "production and distribution of American branded and produced weaponry being sold internationally."

it sounds more like you're buying into some ? NRA BOOGEYMAN story that confuses both what the NRA does and what kind of money they throw around.

then we get the whole "invaded Afghanistan to seize gas and oil" thing which is a rant that seems unsupported, but also doesn't have anything to do with the weird NRA tangent.
    I know what I'm talking about, if you don't think so, that's your opinion but it doesn't make mine any less informed simply because my views don't jibe with your views.
    what i'm saying makes your views uninformed is not that you disagree with me but that the content itself is wrong. it's stereotypical "the NRA is EVIL" nonsense.

take Halliburton: they lobby for a conflict in which they directly profit from the ensuing contracts? makes some sense. but the NRA is not making the arms you're discussing; in that case, it would make sense for the ACTUAL COMPANIES to lobby the government. which they do, to win arms contracts, without having the NRA do it for them. the NRA isn't a gun manufacturers lobby.

and then, of course, many of these companies benefiting are not actually "American-branded weaponry," presuming we're talking about small arms, since the NRA doesn't typically spend much time discussing armored vehicles or artillery or anything along those lines.

• janklow
    I'm not saying the NRA is evil. However the mass production and higher profit margins that can be obtained from the sale of high end rapid rifles is an interest of the NRA.
    maybe we should stop here and you can explain to me what "high end rapid rifles" are. oh, and again, how the NRA manufactures firearms... since they don't.

they're not selling me a bedside table revolver or an "assault rifle" because they both manufacture OR sell guns. and i read gun control as what the term means.
    The NRA and it's members do fund PACs and SuperPACs. It is not a lobby per se-
    so, yeah, the NRA does lobby and doesn't just raise funds for PACs. the PVF is their thing and they've run it for a while to, oddly enough, argue for gun rights. not sure what the NRBA thing is.
    As for the expanding marketshare issue, they are marketing live ammo guns to kids... even though there are still regular incidents of school shootings every year...
    what the hell are "live ammo guns?" let's also consider that since children cannot actually BUY guns, they're probably not marketing to kids. but again, they're not making or selling guns, so they're not the ones marketing guns anyway.
    this is doubling down on the main market because they've not seen profits from trying to sell Afghanistan on the American way, in fact they are profiting from the black market weapons reselling they are doing in regards to funnelling American supplied weaponry to terrorist and militant factions like the Mujahideen, Taliban, etc.
    okay, let's hear about some of this American-supplied weaponry the Taliban's been funneled by the NRA that they're using. because it seems like the Taliban got their start with Pakistan-supplied arms dumps and has gone from there to continue to use Combloc-style weapons.

i know you're pushing this unrealistic conspiracy theory because "NRA IS EVIL" but i think we're just seeing that you're not that familiar with the NRA.
    Now, I'm substantiating my argument here with relevant citations-
    actually, the argument here is all the NRA stuff and you're not substantiating it with anything as far as i can tell.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cuzzo lost credibility when he stated Fallujah was a testing ground for radioactive weapons.....then mentioned the regret of using depleted uranium shells SMH

DU shells are standard tank ammunition..........DU shells were used in the Gulf War, so why act like they were being tested recently

plus Fallujah was an urban fight, not too many tanks were even involved in the fighting...........I was there personally in 2003 and 2004
  • janklow
    I never said the NRA is evil. However if you want to deny the lobbying power of the NRA after I have provided links to prove it, okay. But I provided my evidence even if you deny it.
    you have not provided "evidence" for everything you have claimed, so, yeah. also, please, there's a reason why you're running with the anti-NRA conspiracies.
    Do the NRA make guns? No. However are their beneficiaries gun manufacturers keepin the organisation afloat? Yes. The link between the NRA board and American gun manufacturers is not new news.
    would you like to demonstrate how the gun manufacturers are "keeping the NRA afloat?" because this is one of those things you have claimed WITHOUT showing evidence for.

it's a 5+ million member organization that gets a lot of its clout from mobilizing membership. take a look at the money spent in the recent Colorado recall(s): the NRA got outspent by outside-the-state anti-gun groups, and yet this is the group you're claiming is swollen with "gun manufacturer money." doesn't add up.
    If I am a stockholder/board member in Bushmaster and can invest in the NRA to lobby the government in the commercial retail market so you can buy rapid fire assault rifles, I'm going to make sure my best marketing agency is espousing the info I want to keep selling what I make my dividends off. I control the marketing, the law of the land and make it so those both see me get higher dividends from higher sales.
    one, you can't "invest" in the NRA.
    two, "lobby the government in the commercial retail market?" do you have any idea how firearms are ACTUALLY regulated in the US? or ANY passing knowledge of American laws that relate to firearms?
    three, again with this "rapid fire assault rifle" ? that tells me you're not really knowledgeable about the topic you're railing against. can we get some firearms knowledge before we get the rants against them?
    Now, let me explain this in another way for you... let's say I sit on the board for Universal Studios. I got my tenure, I'm a board member, serious investor. Do I have to greenlight every movie? No, but my money goes towards the production budget for movies made by directors who then sell then films to international retailers. Replace Universal Studios with NRA/Bushmaster board members, the NRA with a director, gun shows as the distributor. I profit whether I greenlight everything or not because I'm a prime investor.
    so here's where this IMMEDIATELY falls apart: you have to make Universal Studios equivalent to "NRA/Bushmaster board members," even though these are two totally separate and different groups. then you're comparing movies to guns and the NRA to directors even though THE NRA DOES NOT MANUFACTURE OR SELL FIREARMS.

? analogies repeated do not become better with repetition.
    As for high end assault rifles, I mean guns that can fire multiple bullets a second and cost hundreds of dollars. Why would I sell you the cheap solution if I can sell you the fancy tricked out high end model? ? , that's basic used car salesman logic.
    a lot of guns, well beyond "high end assault rifles," cost "hundreds of dollars." the most expensive guns out there are probably the high-end sporting guns you're not freaking out about. any decent gun of ANY type costs "hundreds of dollars."

but okay, you're not familiar with what guns cost. "fire multiple bullets a second?" either you're one of these people that thinks ? FULLY-AUTOMATIC WEAPONS are being swapped for handfuls of cash at gun shops, or you're just throwing out some crazed description of mundane guns that you think sounds terrible.
    I can't even believe I have to explain that. I'm the one not familiar with the distinction between firearms or NRA regulation? Alright.
    yeah, you are. i'm the one that's familiar with guns, you're the one using weird phrases like "live ammo guns" that imply you don't know what you're talking about.

FYI, another phrase in this category is "guns that fire bullets with shells you that will go through things."
    So how do you sell guns to kids? Market to kids so they ask their parents.
    the closest thing i've seen that would seem to be "marketing to kids" would be manufacturers licensing their products to games, but this seems more a combination of designers wanting to do that themselves and targeting more of a young adult demographic. but since you brought this up with a "school shooting" context, your implication is that gun manufacturers are marketing to THOSE kids and that, in turn, their parents are buying them those guns. seems a little off.
    I see no sources, no citations, no articles, not statistics.... just you saying I said something I didn't.
    you're the one in here making crazed conspiracy theories that you should support.

showed proof that the NRA donates to politicians? this is not something anyone disputes; you'll note that i have talked about the NRA lobbying. what you CLAIMED was this borderline unreadable quote of "Afghanistan is pretty ? because Americas "gifts" bought with lobby money from Halliburton the NRA so they can buy weapons from weapons manufacturers to put in the hand of peace keeping forces like Academi now troops are pulling out even though the region is unstable." there has been nothing advanced to support THAT.