Educating Peter

Options
illestni99ainne
illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2014 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Watching this on HBO right now. Very interesting.

Educating Peter is a 1992 American short documentary film directed by Gerardine Wurzburg about Peter Gwazdauskas, a special needs student with Down's syndrome, and his inclusion in a standard third grade classroom in Blacksburg, Virginia. It won an Academy Award at the 65th Academy Awards in 1993 for Documentary Short Subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq5Jm7uYxt0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Have any of y'all had special needs children, or have one in your family? Open discussion.

Comments

• taylornathaniel
    taylornathaniel Members Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Options
    I actually saw this movie in one of my graduate classes last year I received my MS in special education. This movie here is not realistic compared to the the Urban schools. This clip here is just so right, in regards to kids are not acting up, being disruptive, etc. Anyway, it is a sad and hard situation to have a child with a certain type of disability.
  • illestni99ainne
    Options
    very hard to deal with. Would need a strong support system, I couldn't even imagine having to raise a special needs child.
  • illestni99ainne
    Options
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I actually wanted to work wit special needs children. Their outlook on things happen to be more pleasant than "regular" children. It's like they don't see the sad but more so the happy in things. I think we can all take a page out of their book cause they don't feel bad for themselves like we "normal" people do.
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Piyonce wrote: »
    I actually wanted to work wit special needs children. Their outlook on things happen to be more pleasant than "regular" children. It's like they don't see the sad but more so the happy in things. I think we can all take a page out of their book cause they don't feel bad for themselves like we "normal" people do.

...awwh .
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    wow i remember this. took me back. i just know peter didnt give a ?
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Piyonce wrote: »

If the looks don't do it, this would ? at a beauty pageant.