htc one m8

Options
whatevathehell
whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
Got this phone recently. My only problem with it is that the phone is nice looking I refused to buy a case for it...now I got a couple dings and chips on it but I still love it...Ive had samsungs for the past couple years and while I have been highly satisfied I am in love with this phone.

8\

http://www.cnet.com/products/htc-one-m8/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LTQG4M--m8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqxihJqszok

Comments

• Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Glad you did this thread I'm debating on this phone, the new Galaxy S, and the Note.

I know the Note probably does more than both, but I'm not crazy about hauling something nearly the size of an iPad mini around in my pocket.

I like my Galaxy 4 the only thing I don't like about Samsung devices is that they don't have great antennas therefore the reception sufferers in rural areas.

Touch Wiz is annoying as well.

I'm really interested in that HTC One as far as cell phone reception and user interface.

I also have read HTC stops sending out updates to their devices is there any truth to this?

• whatevathehell
    Options
    I dont
    Crude_ wrote: »
    Glad you did this thread I'm debating on this phone, the new Galaxy S, and the Note.

I know the Note probably does more than both, but I'm not crazy about hauling something nearly the size of an iPad mini around in my pocket.

I like my Galaxy 4 the only thing I don't like about Samsung devices is that they don't have great antennas therefore the reception sufferers in rural areas.

I'm really interested in that HTC One as far as cell phone reception and user interface.

I also have read HTC stops sending out updates to their devices is there any truth to this?

I dont know about that and youre the first Ive heard with it...the updates that is. Ive only had the phone for 2 weeks now though. What do you mean like android updates?
  • Crude_
    Options
    I dont

I dont know about that and youre the first Ive heard with it...the updates that is. Ive only had the phone for 2 weeks now though. What do you mean like android updates?

Yes, HTC is reportedly notorious for not updating their older devices and if you are anything like me I keep my devices the entire two years through my contract so updates are important to me.

Articles all over Google about them not updating their phones.

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HTC has gotten better. I had the Thunderbolt and that phone got one update and then was forgotten. I have the DNA now and we just got the Android 4.2.2 update. So, if you're trying to keep a phone for 5 years or so, you're probably out of luck, but other than the Nexus line, few phones continue to get updated that long after they come out these days. If you just expect to get updates throughout the 2 year contract, you should be ok with HTC.
  • Crude_
    Options
    I got this phone last weekend and all I can say is wow.

The device is crafted beautifully.

I almost hated to put a case on it, but I wasn't about to play Russian roulette with my device's physical appearance.

The Sense UI that comes on the HTC One is very fluent and runs the Android OS very well with no lag whatsoever.

HTC makes things rather simple as far as navigating through the device, notification center, and toggles.

Another thing that I liked is that the standard HTC One came in 32 gigs instead of the more traditional 16 like most other smartphones offer for their entry level memory.

Generally half of that 16 gigs is taken up by system features and preloaded bloatware most of the time.

This phone's stand out feature would probably be BlinkFeed.

I feel so so about this particular feature, because I wish HTC would let you consolidate all the feeds into one.

I don't like having seperate BlinkFeeds for Facebook, Instagram, sports news, and world news. It would be much cleaner to give the user the ability to consolidate all those feeds into one.

BlinkFeed is a nice concept though, but needs some refining.

This phone might not be as trendy of an option for the more average smartphone user.

HTC doesn't pack it's smart devices with all the bells and whistles of say a Samsung.

The reception and call quality of the phone has been better than other Android phones I've had as well.

The camera can leave something to be desired in some low light photos; the camera on my GS4 was much better.

With that being said though if I wanted to take superb studio quality photos I'd invest in an expensive DSLR camera and I wouldn't be depending on my phone to take those type of images.

For what I do which is taking pics and sharing them to social media such as Facebook and Instagram the camera will suffice although for some more heavy users that are into photo editing and the works this will be a big draw back of this phone.

The battery on this phone can last easily 8 hours or more with moderate use that's a lot better than it was for my old GS4 although reports are saying the GS5 battery lasts slightly longer than this one.

Other than the issue with BlinkFeed which really isn't much of an issue I really can't complain about the phone.

This phone runs Android OS smoother than any other phone that I've owned.

I would say this is the best phone I've owned to date and I've pretty much owned every phone that's out other with the exception of LG and Sony (they just recently got in the smart phone game).
  • whatevathehell
    Options

I almost hated to put a case on it, but I wasn't about to play Russian roulette with my device's physical appearance.

yo I havent bought one yet and am starting to regret it...if you drop it which I have done a few times it will ding, nothing major but with that beautiful metal chasis any imperfection catches my eye as soon as I pick it up.

• dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Been ? after this phone since it was announced. Hopefully buying the Glacial Silver version (since the Gunmetal Grey apparently shows up scratches too easily) in the next fortnight.
  • Crude_
    Options

yo I havent bought one yet and am starting to regret it...if you drop it which I have done a few times it will ding, nothing major but with that beautiful metal chasis any imperfection catches my eye as soon as I pick it up.

I got a case for it and put it on before I even left the Verizon store.

It won't come out of the case unless I'm putting another one on it.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Got the phone today in Glacial Silver and loving what I've seen of it so far. The only issue I've got so far with it is the camera which really does perform pretty poorly in direct light which in the age of smartphones with 4636353 bazillion megapixels is inexcusable. Apart from that the phone is tip top and sexy as uff.