Homeboy Sandman: "Black People Are Cowards."

Options
cobbland
cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2014 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Black People Are Cowards

Homeboy Sandman
5-Homeboy_Sandman_304.jpg

Filed to: DONALD STERLING
HOMEBOY SANDMAN
RACE RELATIONS
SPORTS
BASKETBALL
Today 11:17am

hrsnhf8x86ovugn0gsvi.jpg

In light of the recent decision by a professional basketball team, comprised of mostly black players, to respond to their boss basically saying “I hate ? ” by turning their shirts inside out the next day at work, I have come to the decision that I agree wholeheartedly with the owner of the Los Angeles Clippers, and I too do not want black people invited to my events.

It’s not for the same reasons that the Clippers’ owner doesn’t want black people invited to his events. To be honest I don’t really know what his reasons are. Perhaps he recently tuned in to an FM “hip hop” station and after hearing song after drug, sex, and violence-laden song decided that it might be a good idea to keep some distance. Perhaps his media conditioning spans beyond music, encompassing the gamut of stereotype-enforcing media, (media championed and praised by blacks, where the most rich and famous ? are praised and idolized as examples of black “success”). Maybe he’s been hanging out with George Zimmerman, and they’ve been watching Love & Hip Hop, and Basketball Wives, and the Tyler Perry collection, and Katt Williams and Kevin Hart performances (anybody catch that Kevin Hart movie with the ex-rapper who used to have a song standing up against police brutality playing a police officer? Where Hart delivers the line that Zimmerman had no doubt heard a thousand different times in a thousand different ways, shifting his psyche to the point where he could be authentically terrified of someone just because they were black . . . “you’re white. You don’t fight.”)

No, I’m lucky enough to spend enough time with black people to recognize that we’re not the base form of human life that we continue to support ourselves being portrayed as (though admittedly, it definitely rubs off on us. A lot. So much so that it’s very puzzling to comprehend how we could blame anyone who doesn’t get to spend much time with us for fostering a wildly skewed perception. What can people know but what they see?). No, I don’t want black people to stay away from my events because I believe them to be uncivilized, or ignorant, or anything like that.

I don’t want black people at my events anymore, because black people are cowards.

In all the history I’ve ever studied, in all the fiction I’ve ever read, I am hard pressed to find an example of cowardice to rival the modern day black American, and nobody wants to be surrounded by cowards right?

What if lions break out of the zoo and start trying to eat everyone? What if aliens attack? What if the police department decides that they want to grab their batons and blow off some steam? Are cowards really the type of people that you want to be surrounded by?

Not me.

qvbbvnrvzvcixzg9qsws.jpg

That’s why I don’t want black people at my events anymore. Athletes that could refuse to perform until a killer is arrested, even until a killer is convicted, who instead opt for taking a picture where they all have their hoods on and then carrying on with business as usual: I don’t want to be surrounded be these clowns. If you’re black, or white, and you go back to work after finding out that your boss is grossed out at the idea of being in the same vicinity with any black person except for the cutie he’s sugar daddy to, I’m pretty sure you’re not who I want in my corner during crunch time. Real crunch time. Life crunch time.

Comments

• cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Our enemy isn't white people. It's people who value greed more than human life. Racial division is one of their oldest weapons, and media is their latest. We mustn’t forget how young this weapon is. I didn’t grow up using the Internet. The television itself isn’t even 100 years old. The idea of global celebrity, and global transference of ideas and perceptions of culture, has never existed the way it does today. Just as Howard Beale prophesized in Network in 1976, we’re up against “the most awesome ? damned propaganda force in the whole Godless world.”

We’re going to have to step it up.

If you’re down to step it up, let’s step it up. Let’s boycott. Boycott was the foundation of the Civil Rights movement. Do you believe that a cable network exists solely to manipulate the perception of black people? Stop watching it. Don’t put up a post one day praising the episode of Boondocks that never aired and then spend the next day tweeting the entire BET awards. That doesn’t make any sense.

Let’s step it up. If every NBA player who wanted to stand up against racism vowed not to play until the Clippers’ owner resigned, it would be announced that he resigned before you were finished reading this. If he didn’t want to, someone would make him. If we boycotted every night spot that spins music about how much we love killing each other and taking and selling drugs, every single one of them would have new DJs by next week (don’t even get me started on these new DJs. The new drug dealers. Admitting that they know what they’re giving people is bad for them but caring more about getting paid). I went to DJ Spinna’s Michael Jackson/Prince party at SRBs last night and there was more dancing and mirth and free love in that place than every hip hop party in NYC in the last 10 years put together. So when people tell you that we need ratchet nonsense to dance, they’re gaming you. Don’t be so gullible. Don’t act like black people only found out how to have fun when we lost our connection to our own human decency.

Let’s step it up and not buy magazines pushing music designed to glamorize a lifestyle certain to land our youth in prison.

Let’s step it up and take off from work and stay home with our kids until these preposterous tenure rules are revoked from public schools and it’s the kids that can’t be fired, not the teachers.

Let’s step it and use social media to rally each other. Everybody knew about that woman who fired a warning shot and got 20 years (I hear she’s been released now. No thanks to us). Everybody knows about that woman who got however many years for leaving her child in the car while she went to a job interview. Every single week all over Facebook there’s a new video of someone catching a beating as bad as the one Rodney King caught, but I never see a post that says, “Share this if you’ll go on strike from work until these police officers are fired.” “Share this if you’ll strike until this woman is released.” “Share this if you won’t spend a single dollar until Troy Davis is released from death row and granted a new trial.” Can you imagine the impact that that would have? Everybody is always trying to act there’s no solutions.

There are plenty of solutions. We're just too cowardly to implement them. Worried about this discomfort or that discomfort, great or small, that might take place as a result. Having to find a new place to party. Or a new show to watch. Isn’t the discomfort of oppression enough? There’s plenty of solutions, just no easy ones, but if we can shift to courage instead of cowardice, there’s more than enough solutions to guarantee our success. Guarantee. Next time you’re complaining about how this country was built on us, take a second to think about the fact that it still is. If we want to, we can shut this whole place down.

So make a decision between cowardice and courage, and if you choose courage, step it up. Step it up in any of the myriad of ways that are available to us. I’ve named a few. Name a few more. Leave a few suggestions in the comments section. Call up your friends. Tweet. Facebook.

Then start doing them. If you can’t convince anyone to do them with you, do them on your own. Start right away because we’re running out of time. I hear some states are fining people for sagging their pants. I’d never sag my pants, but if we begin to allow people to be penalized simply for attributes that we’ve allowed to be associated with being black, we’re going to find the water getting even hotter very soon.

We’ve been cowards for a very long time. We have a lot of catching up to do. Let’s start right now.

For those of you who don’t want to step it up, do me a favor and at least unfriend me.

Homeboy Sandman is a recording artist on Stones Throw Records. He previously wrote for Gawker on the topic of police brutality.

http://gawker.com/black-people-are-cowards-1568673014
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not this ? again. let me get my Kumbyah flag out...hold on.
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • ReppinTime
    ReppinTime Members Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is he wrong?
    And in this nation thou shall find no peace.
    For the Lord will give thee a fearful heart, and languishing eyes, and a soul consumed with pensiveness
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with a lot of what he is saying, but I don't see to point of basketball players not playing for the Trayvon thing.
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Somebody get that ? a pic of tissue
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    brown321 wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of what he is saying, but I don't see to point of basketball players not playing for the Trayvon thing.

WOW...you IC negros never cease to amaze me. So protesting for Trayvon being murdered is not the same as protesting a Redneck that told his ? "not to bring any ? to the games?"

YOU HOUSENIGGERS ARE A TRIP/!
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that was ether.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't accept everything he is saying but I agree with a lot of it.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trayvon got killed, but why do people act like this only happens to black people? There are blacks killing innocent whites all the time.
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BoldChild wrote: »
    It's real easy for someone to say what they would do, when they're not in the situation themselves.
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blacks are not cowards.........

But we seem to think that everything is all good out here...........

? is gonna have to stand up and fight for everything they want in the U.S..........

Not much was accomplished during civil rights & white folks are reversing those laws from the 1960's everyday.......

i.e. affirmative action & the voting rights act..............

If a ? thinks that he is gonna get by without taking a stand or being an activist for something................

He is a fool.......

Borderline coward.............

• ElQueefo
    ElQueefo Members Posts: 71
    Options
    People become more cowardly when they think they have things to lose
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Options
    People need to stop over exaggerating about what they have to lose. 98 percent of people are average joes with poor social skills. People worried about losing their 9-5 slave job, FOH
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All "black" people arent the same. Plus, just cause some racist is losin it and lashing out insanely doesnt mean you have to play yourself. Racism is the racists problem.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Options
    Racism will always exist
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Same ole story ? not gonna do ? for a loonnnng time
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    white people are innocent?
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmao e makes good points but I wouldnt be suprised if he lost his (if he has any) black fanbase and I wouldnt be suprised if ice cube had words for him
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Got damn he bodied Kevin Hart