Benefits or pay?

Options
THOT PILGRIM
THOT PILGRIM Members Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
Alright guys, I'm in a pickle.

I'll be graduating in about 8 mos. Not too long after that, I'll be coming up on my 1 year anniversary at my current job.

I don't want to be a job hopper, but I'm considering leaving. I really, REALLY appreciate the opportunity I've been given, but the more I research, the more I realize that the benefits here suck ass.

I'm currently part time and I was considering going full time but they've done away with tuition reimbursement and loan repayment. They've also done away with the 90/10 insurance plan (Obamacare nixed that)...they only offer 60/40 and that kinda sucks. However, its the best paying facility in the area.

There's another hospital that's kind of ? but they're really desperate for nurses so their benefits are GRRREEEAT. I did one clinical rotation there and it is pretty obsolete. They offer good insurance, an $8k sign on bonus for 2 years (not that major to me but it is a plus), tuition reimbursement OR loan repayment (not both). The pay is comparable with where I am, not quite as good, but the benefits make up for it.

I like my staff. I'm super comfortable and acclimated. But the benefits are doo doo grits and I neeeeeeed loan repayment at this point.

I'm afraid of signing on to a hospital for 2 years that is kinda obsolete, then running the risk of not liking it and being stuck for 2 years and having to pay all that ? back if I leave. But the benefits are errythang.

What do you guys think? What would you do? Stay put or take the risk and get the benefits?

Comments

• High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Personally I'd go with pay.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Darth Sidious
    Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options

The Affordable Care Act had nothing to do with them offering you ? benefits. Most employers who say that would have given you ? benefits to begin with. Now they can blame a president they don't like. Win/Win

image.php?type=T&id=23304

• THOT PILGRIM
    Options

I was thinking the same thing until I saw my student loan statement earlier today

I was looking like a chick the day after she takes her sew in out. Self-confidence low than a mufugga.
    Cumulative Loan Information as of 17-APR-2014
    Subsidized $21,640.00
    Unsubsidized $18,116.00

:((

Now, I've heard through the grapevine that the other facility will pay up to 25k of that.
  • THOT PILGRIM
    Options

The Affordable Care Act had nothing to do with them offering you ? benefits. Most employers who say that would have given you ? benefits to begin with. Now they can blame a president they don't like. Win/Win

Don't twist my thread into an ACA argument.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was thinking the same thing until I saw my student loan statement earlier today

I was looking like a chick the day after she takes her sew in out. Self-confidence low than a mufugga.
    Subsidized $21,640.00
    Unsubsidized $18,116.00

Now, I've heard through the grapevine that the other facility will pay up to 25k of that.

i've seen way worse
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What ever is best for your family/child if your a single parent

If you have neither get the Monties
  • THOT PILGRIM
    Options

Subsidized $21,640.00
    Unsubsidized $18,116.00

i've seen way worse

Me too, but in the grand scheme of things, it can set me back financially for a while if I let it linger.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sound like you made your decision.
    Go get those benefits.
  • Darth Sidious
    Options

Sorry, you started down the road, 'Obamacare nixed that'. I decided to tag along and now you don't want to play anymore.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/11/obamacare-canceled-health-insurance

The Real Story Behind the Phony Canceled Health Insurance Scandal

In 2009, when President Barack Obama first promised that people who liked their insurance coverage would be able to keep it under the Affordable Care Act, he overlooked one critical fact: Many of the health policies that Americans like are terrible insurance plans that were created to scam consumers.

When Malkin got her cancelation notice, she went on the Twitter warpath. She later wrote a piece for the National Review slugged, "Obama lied. My health plan died." Malkin had a high-deductible plan from Anthem Blue Cross that doesn't meet the minimum coverage requirements created by the ACA. So she has to get a new plan on the state health exchange. Malkin blamed Obamacare for destroying the individual insurance market.

I am done now. My advice is don't take advice on your career and financial planning from the Ill Community. Research on your own or seek a professional. Nobody knows all the details of your life necessary to make that kind of decision. This is the last place on earth I would come to if I were considering a change of jobs. lol

But, if you just want attention, carry on.

• THOT PILGRIM
    Options
    EasyAce wrote: »
    Places that are desperately in need of help, are that way for a reason. Think about what they have to offer and why at the same time they don't have anyone.

I haven't been able to get any of their employees to be completely upfront with me about that though. All I get from them is "RUN GIRL! DON'T APPLY!!!"

But ? , the folks at my current employer say the same thing, lol.
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Benefits>thread
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dont be quick to leave there JUST yet.. Stack up as much as you can at the job you're at now.
    once you think you got all that you can get out of it. then you'll know its time to move on for the (better) benefits.
  • THOT PILGRIM
    Options

I am done now. My advice is don't take advice on your career and financial planning from the Ill Community. Research on your own or seek a professional. Nobody knows all the details of your life necessary to make that kind of decision. This is the last place on earth I would come to if I were considering a change of jobs. lol

But, if you just want attention, carry on.

If anyone wants attn, its YOU. You're bringing in sources to defend Obamacare in a thread that has nothing to do with it. Stop derailing.

And BTW @mods why yall letting threads get derailed around here?

I'm asking people with families what they would do if they were faced with this choice. I've consulted many professionals, I just want some objective opinions from fellow grown folks who may have student loan debt.

If you want to discuss ACA, please do so elsewhere. Or take it to my inbox. But don't do this ? in a completely unrelated thread.
  • Darth Sidious
    Options
    Okat Thot,

Lets really dig into what you should do here.

Can you start with some basic info.

1) Age?
    2) Occupation?
    3) Level of Education\Certifications?
    4) City\State?
    5) Current Salary?
    6) Martial Status?
    7) Dependents?
    8) Own or Rent your current residence?
    9) Savings\Investments?
    10) Debt
    11) Years at current job

this should do for starters..then I think we could really give you some insight into your question.

• 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I benefit when I get paid.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    Working at a ? hospital puts your reputation and license on the line

If they ? up .... They can take you down with them if you are in any position of power/supervisor

If you are not miserable at your current gig then stick it out until you find a better one .... the right one

That's what I did and it paid off ...... Literally
  • THOT PILGRIM
    Options
    Okat Thot,

Lets really dig into what you should do here.

Can you start with some basic info.

1) Age? 24
    2) Occupation? Nurse
    3) Level of Education\Certifications? BSN
    4) City\State? The south
    5) Current Salary? Enough to live comfortably and save.
    6) Martial Status? Married.
    7) Dependents? Uno
    8) Own or Rent your current residence? Renting and looking to buy in two years
    9) Savings\Investments? 2 months pay in the bank.
    10) Debt 40k in fed loans
    11) Years at current job <1

this should do for starters..then I think we could really give you some insight into your question.

• Darth Sidious
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Very good, can you be a little more specific about where in the south? A better idea of your salary would be helpful to know to compare against regional wages ( are you paid more or less than going rate for your experience/education)

1) Do you have any existing medical conditions that may require treatment? Does your Spouse? Does your Child?
    2) Planning additional children?
    3) Does your spouse currently have benefits that could be extended to you?
    4) Spouses occupation
    5) Years on the Job
    6) Spouses salary
    7) Spouses debt/assets combined with your own?

If you are looking to buy a house you will presumably need 20% down so maximizing your income would help with that goal.

You see where I am going here, you need the whole picture of you and your family, what are your goals and obligations.

• MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    Wtf is this ????

• Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you can afford to go then go. That tuition reimbursement gonna do you good. Now if you're head of the house then no.
  • Darth Sidious
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Thot, are you open to relocating?

Do you have any additional training or schooling to complete in the near term? ( within 1-5 years )
  • Darth Sidious
    Options
    MsSouthern wrote: »
    Wtf is this ????

This is a real discussion going on.

#RealTalk

• THOT PILGRIM
    Options
    Very good, can you be a little more specific about where in the south? A better idea of your salary would be helpful to know to compare against regional wages ( are you paid more or less than going rate for your experience/education)

1) Do you have any existing medical conditions that may require treatment? Does your Spouse? Does your Child?
    2) Planning additional children?
    3) Does your spouse currently have benefits that could be extended to you?
    4) Spouses occupation
    5) Years on the Job
    6) Spouses salary
    7) Spouses debt/assets combined with your own?

If you are looking to buy a house you will presumably need 20% down so maximizing your income would help with that goal.

You see where I am going here, you need the whole picture of you and your family, what are your goals and obligations.

Thats as much info as you're getting.. You want my pap smear results too breh?