Yo, how in da fukk did MARK JACKSON lose his head coaching job???

Comments

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    harrison barnes is not better than iggy, he had one short period when iggy got hurt where he played well this season, thats it. iggy job was not to score on that team lol

and i agree that the situation of mark jackson being fired is complete ? , but not racism.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea that whole taping convos is weird AF like what was the purpose
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    harrison barnes is not better than iggy, he had one short period when iggy got hurt where he played well this season, thats it. iggy job was not to score on that team lol

and i agree that the situation of mark jackson being fired is complete ? , but not racism.

Andre iguodala is a ? . Ok, maybe not a ? , but to get paid that much...and if he's not there to score wtf is he there for smh He's so overrated. No one needs his unecessary extra passes and so so wing defense

Barnes was comin into his own last year they completely stifled his growth and we (yall) probly wont see how good he is until he gets the starting job at another team...and i'll b right there to say told you so
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Dion Waters for Harrison Barnes?
    Who says no

I read somewhere that kyrie wanted them to draft Barnes in the first place
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lmaoooo Barnes is good where he at....He's not gonna give you more than Iggy.......Barnes is super average but I would gladly give up waiters for him
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    S2J wrote: »

Andre iguodala is a ? . Ok, maybe not a ? , but to get paid that much...and if he's not there to score wtf is he there for smh He's so overrated. No one needs his unecessary extra passes and so so wing defense

Barnes was comin into his own last year they completely stifled his growth and we (yall) probly wont see how good he is until he gets the starting job at another team...and i'll b right there to say told you so

he's there to defend, be the glue guy, and play point forward. curry, lee, and thompson are the main 3 options b4 him, he's also hit several clutch shots this year. barnes didnt start coming into his own until near the end of the season last year, he was supposed to be the scoring punch off the bench this year but struggled until iggy got hurt and struggled again the whole season after iggy came back.
  • S2J
    ^^^Barnes last years playoffs as a ROOKIE>>>> Iggy's playoffs AND reg season as a seasoned vet and "glue guy"

And how tha ? u sign a free agent as a glue guy?!?! Lmaoo Thats supposed to b a guy been around, does the little things, not 1 of the highest paid guys on the team. Udonis Haslem is a glue guy...Iggy cant offensively or defensively play the 4 as well as Barnes, and thats the best GS has ever been, wih Barnes at the 4, when they SHOULD have beat SA
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited May 2014
    ^^^Barnes last years playoffs as a ROOKIE>>>> Iggy's playoffs AND reg season as a seasoned vet and "glue guy"

he should have been able to carry it over and become 6th man of the year then lol

iggy has been around and does the little things, one of those things is free up curry to play off the ball, iggy doesnt even play the 4, thats david lee's position. barnes doesnt have near the all around game that iggy does.
  • S2J

he should have been able to carry it over and become 6th man of the year then lol

iggy has been around and does the little things, one of those things is free up curry to play off the ball, iggy doesnt even play the 4, thats david lee's position. barnes doesnt have near the all around game that iggy does.

I meant been around and do the little things on the same team for years. I've never heard a team go out and get a guy with the purpose of being a glue guy. You grow into that. And you DAMN sure dont pay him 14 mill to do so. Like, Trevor Ariza is a glue guy. Cmon

To put it in perspective, Iggy and Al Jefferson make the same amount of money. Think about that for a sec. Imagine GS with Al instead of Iggy. They dont need Iggy. At all. Iggy is not a PG. Their best line up in the last 2-3 yrs is a team w/ an actual backup PG (Jack)to move Curry off ball, not a BS point forward.

Barnea cant be 6th man of the yr b/c Iggy is a bll dominant SF, Klay takes mins at the 2, Bogut and Lee so he cant play the stretch 4. Theres no time for him. Iggy is their biggest mistake, trust me
  • S2J
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    Not to mention his stance on ? 's. And I think somebody in that front office is openly ? .

Wooow. @Lamontbdc were u guessin or did u already know? B/c you were right
    Lacob, of course, gave Jackson his first job and hired Welts, the first openly ? executive in professional sports.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2065541-steve-kerr-faces-challenge-to-win-over-players-upset-over-mark-jacksons-firing
  • S2J
    Steve Kerr Faces Challenge to Win Over Players Upset About Mark Jackson's Firing

Ric Bucher

Sometimes what is not said—or tweeted—speaks the loudest.

Since the Golden State Warriors announced Tuesday that Steve Kerr had been hired as their new head coach, replacing Mark Jackson, there has yet to be a welcoming tweet, interview or anything else seen or heard from one of the players.

That, one of them said, is not by accident.

"That is out of loyalty to Coach Jackson," said the player, who requested anonymity. "It has nothing to do with Steve. Just meeting him when he worked our games, he seems like a nice guy. It has to do more with how Coach was done. Guys loved Coach Jackson. They'd run through a wall for him. It hasn't really set in that he's gone and someone else has been hired."

There is far more to the resentment over Jackson being fired after 47- and 51-win seasons than a coach popular among his players being let go because of his relationship with ownership and/or management. If it was only that, it would be reasonable to expect that all Kerr needs is time to convince the team he is equally worth their allegiance. He certainly has the pedigree for it, at least by today's standard that actual coaching experience is not necessary: former player, extremely affable, bearer of five championship rings and a disciple of two of the most successful coaches in the last two decades, Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich.

The players' pointed silence is about Jackson, despite their pleas that he be retained, getting axed less than 72 hours after their season ended with a first-round Game 7 loss on the road to the Los Angeles Clippers. It's about Jackson, as a first-time coach, having to settle for a four-year, $8 million deal, while Kerr, a first-time coach, signed a five-year, $25 million package, totally guaranteed. It's about the vast majority of the players and staff sharing Jackson's Christian faith and attending services to hear him preach at his non-denominational church, while knowing that Kerr developed a similar bond with team owner Joe Lacob over two decades of shared golf and venture capital interests.

And, yes, it's about Jackson and the vast majority of the roster being black and Lacob, president Rick Welts, general manager Bob Myers, assistant GM Kirk Lacob and Kerr being white.

"Guys are going to look at it from a race standpoint," the player said. "It shows what this was all about when they cut him as quick as they did. Guys question, 'Is this really about winning or is it about the way you want the place to look like?' "

The subject of race in the NBA has come to the forefront thanks to recorded comments by Clippers owner Donald Sterling that indicate he's fine with minorities working for him but not mingling socially with his personal assistant. While reviews comparing the NBA to Major League Baseball and the NFL generally earn the league high marks for diversity, it remains a point of contention for many players that rosters are 85 percent black while the rest of the league's other strata hold the reverse percentage.

Players far and wide were outraged by Sterling's remarks and the Clippers players turned their team-issued gear inside-out as a sign of protest before Game 4 of their series with the Warriors, but league sources say the Golden State team alone seriously discussed not playing the game.

Consider that a reflection of both how unified the Warriors are as a team and how strongly they feel about the upper ranks of the league harboring men who think as Sterling does.

Lacob, of course, gave Jackson his first job and hired Welts, the first openly ? executive in professional sports. Talk to the man, as I have, and there's no reason to believe he is prejudiced toward anything other than results that don't meet his lofty expectations.

But anyone able to have frank conversations with NBA players, as I have for more than two decades, knows that a vast majority believe there is an inherent aversion to coaches, administrators and players who are "too black." Whether it's the discomfort of being confronted by a different culture or a fear that it damages the league's marketability to mainstream, corporate (and mostly white) America, those players are convinced that discomfort/fear is behind the league's dress code, uniform and taunting rules and hiring practices.

Whether that belief is merited is the subject of another story; what matters here is only that there are Warriors players who hold it and will watch very closely to compare upper management's treatment of Kerr compared to Jackson this coming season.

The Warriors, collectively, are regarded as a high-character group and are almost certain to give Kerr every chance to show that he is the upgrade over Jackson that Lacob has promised.

Warriors players have been slow to publicly embrace Steve Kerr as their new coach out of loyalty to former coach Mark Jackson.

"There aren't any idiots in that locker room," the player said. "We have solid guys, great guys. I'm not saying he won't be able to win the team over. But that will be his biggest challenge. Can he take us to a place Coach Jackson couldn't? We were one basket away from going back to the semifinals a second year in a row. That means Steve has to get us to the conference finals or the finals. Guys are going to be very conscious of that. If you've known him for 20 years, why wasn't he on your list before this? Did he not want the job then? Coach Jackson changed the culture and this is how you do him? If this is your loyalty to Coach, what's your loyalty to me? I know it raised questions with all of us."

Kerr clearly has a leg up on "managing up and sideways," to borrow Lacob's phrase, better than Jackson thanks to his established friendship with both Joe and his son Kirk. Having worked in Myers' position, with Welts as a colleague, for the Phoenix Suns, also helps.

"Managing down," however, is where, by Lacob's own admission, Jackson showed a rare and unique talent. If the Warriors were a house divided last season and the coach represented the line of demarcation, not much has changed. The only difference is which side of the house needs the other side to change its mind about him.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel bad if Kerr gets caught up in that but ? gonna look real suspicious if warriors don't improve and Kerr keeps his job....which he will regardless

And I think things went sour when management took the assistant coaches side against Jackson for whatever reason
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Parallel wrote: »
    Did anyone ever explain how Steve Kerr became such a sought after coach?

Phil Jackson endorsement
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Damn didn't know Jackson got paid so little compared to Kerr smh
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? is a travesty. Mark actually was making the bay relevant. had bogut been healthy, it might be a different story
  • sobek
    sobek Members Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I was surprised he got fired too.. but, if it wasn't really a racial thing like some think. Id say just for the simple fact they couldn't get past the first round 2 years in a row.. Just my opinion tough.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    goldenja wrote: »
    Yeah, I was surprised he got fired too.. but, if it wasn't really a racial thing like some think. Id say just for the simple fact they couldn't get past the first round 2 years in a row.. Just my opinion tough.

They lost in the semifinals last year.
  • goldenja
    edited May 2014
    goldenja wrote: »

They lost in the semifinals last year.

oh.. well getting knocked the semi finals last year.sound like they were either going backwards or not going anywhere at all

• Peezy_Jenkins
    no way mark jackson gets fired off performance after taking a team to the postseason who couldnt even sniff the playoffs b4 him
  • goldenja
    no way mark jackson gets fired off performance after taking a team to the postseason who couldnt even sniff the playoffs b4 him

some owners don't have the patience I guess..
  • goldenja
    makes me wonder if stan van gundys gonna last in Detroit after 1 season.
  • S2J
    @Goldenja no offense but it sound like u havent followed the Warriors at all the last few yrs. U should read Ric Bucher's article above it will enlighten you
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    Not to mention his stance on ? 's. And I think somebody in that front office is openly ? .

Wooow. @Lamontbdc were u guessin or did u already know? B/c you were right
    Lacob, of course, gave Jackson his first job and hired Welts, the first openly ? executive in professional sports.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2065541-steve-kerr-faces-challenge-to-win-over-players-upset-over-mark-jacksons-firing

That article doesn't mention anything about there being a rift over dude being ? though. It just mentions that their GM is ?
  • banginscrew901
    banginscrew901 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark has already signed a contract with espn, he's going back to broadcast.

Did he trademark that saying mama there goes that man?