Anybody ever seen this map of NFL fandom?

Options
The Lonious Monk
The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in From the Cheap Seats
528895_10151382327948415_1568495614_n.png

http://knowmore.washingtonpost.com/2014/01/31/this-map-shows-which-counties-support-which-nfl-teams/

It's pretty surprising. Like just looking at my home state SC, I would think it would be split between CAR and ATL fans. It's random as hell for the state to be mostly PIT fans.

Comments

• coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And lol @ there literally being nothing but PIT fans in hawaii
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Pretty accurate. Also explains why they'll probably never be a NFL team in OKC despite football being more popular in OK than basketball. Cowboys country like a muhfugga.

Scust.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    damn the Jets just have Queens
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Cowboys Country ? !

Vince-McMahon.gif
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alot of steeler fans in Dallas and fans of other teams also...just not by the masses.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I'd really like to know why the Steelers are so big everywhere. It can't just be because they are winners. There are quite a few teams with multiple championships that aren't nearly as popular.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    I'd really like to know why the Steelers are so big everywhere. It can't just be because they are winners. There are quite a few teams with multiple championships that aren't nearly as popular.

Nah, it's because they're winners. Bandwagons that have since turned into mobile homes and some have become actual brick and mortar homes, lol.

The Cowboys and Steelers are the most popular on that map. Not a coincidence.

They're also one of the few teams that have had sustained success and won multiple championships or at least been a contender in multiple eras. (not to mention they're the top two teams in overall SB championships.)

So you have old cats that grew up watching the Steel curtain in the 70s, their sons rooted for Neil O'Donnell and Rod Woodson, and their grandsons jumped on the bandwagon with Big Ben, Bettis, etc.

Bandwagoners can mature into real fans. Nothing wrong with that. But they are bandwagoners. No doubt.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Yeah, but the 49ers have won just as much as Dallas and they don't have the same level of bandwagoning. And the Bears were big in the 70s for the same reasons as the Steelers, but they don't have the same bandwagon fans. On top of that, this data was generated recently, so if it was just about winning, you'd expect the Patriots to have much more representation on that map than they do.
  • O.G.
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Bears were never big in the 70's. Maybe in Cicero but not nation wide. Lol.

As for the Steelers popularity, i always say that people love blue collar teams. They rep the working man. It does not hurt that they are winners.

• caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea, this was posted in the nfl thread around this time last offseason.

It seems like a new one cause I dont remember the Saints colors that spread out.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    O.G. wrote: »
    Bears were never big on the 70's. Maybe in Cicero but not nation wide. Lol.

As for the Steelers popularity, i always say that people love blue collar teams. They rep the working man. It does not hurt that they are winners.

Bears are nowhere near as popular. Just in and around Illinois. That other blue is NYG.

It's just front running, plain and simple. If it grows into something genuine - fine. But it is what it is.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Damn, said Bears and was thinking Dolphins. The Dolphins won a couple championships in the 70s, and the Steelers won 2 or 3. So if it's just a matter of winning legacy, you'd think the Dolphins would have a few more holdovers too.
  • O.G.
    Options

Damn, said Bears and was thinking Dolphins. The Dolphins won a couple championships in the 70s, and the Steelers won 2 or 3. So if it's just a matter of winning legacy, you'd think the Dolphins would have a few more holdovers too.

Growing up even back then I felt the Dolphins were good but not respected. The teams I remember as dominating the 70's were the Steelers,Cowboys,Raiders and Vikings. Steelers vs Cowboys was like Celtics(Steelers) vs Lakers(Cowboys). The Raiders were the Steelers thorn in the side kinda like what the Pistons were to the Celtics. While all that was going on the Dolphins were winning but were getting no love. Even in their undefeated season they were actually underdogs for the super bowl. lol. As far as the Dolphins fanbase of the 70's it's hard to explain bcuz a lot of old people went to Florida/Miami to retire so who knows where they really were from.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Growing up even back then I felt the Dolphins were good but not respected. The teams I remember as dominating the 70's were the Steelers,Cowboys,Raiders and Vikings. Steelers vs Cowboys was like Celtics(Steelers) vs Lakers(Cowboys). The Raiders were the Steelers thorn in the side kinda like what the Pistons were to the Celtics. While all that was going on the Dolphins were winning but were getting no love. Even in their undefeated season they were actually underdogs for the super bowl. lol. As far as the Dolphins fanbase of the 70's it's hard to explain bcuz a lot of old people went to Florida/Miami to retire so who knows where they really were from.

Word!!! pops was big on mean joe greene back in the day. Greene was from a country ass town called elgin, pops knew alot of people who grew up with joe greene...back in tha G he had the jersey/t-shirts all that.He hated the cowboys and he too was born n rasied in the heart of cowboy country.I just never really liked the cowboys didnt even know what all the hype was about with them.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/05/12/upshot/basketball-map.html?_r=0#5,44.106,-99.567

^^^^ Interactive map of NBA fandom. You can hover over it with your cursor and it will show percentages of fandom in every damn county in America. dope.

LoL @ all the Lakers bandwagoners. All up in Arkansas and Tennessee n' ? .
  • Heavy In The Game
    Heavy In The Game Members Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    damn we run NY and NJ and we got small parts of CT AND PA

we might even have some more too

GIANTS !!
    ? the cowboys

oh yea and this^^^
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/05/12/upshot/basketball-map.html?_r=0#5,44.106,-99.567

^^^^ Interactive map of NBA fandom. You can hover over it with your cursor and it will show percentages of fandom in every damn county in America. dope.

Damn, my state is full of bandwagoners. lol They are all on Pittsburgh's nuts in the NFL and on the Lakers and Heat for the NBA.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was a bandwagon Laker fan. I damn sure wasnt going to be a Mavericks fan. I even cheered some for the Pistons back in the because of Joe Dumars. Until they played the Lakers.