edited May 2014 in The Face Off Forum
Which album is better?

Nastradamus vs Blackstar 23 votes

Nastradamus - Nas
13%
supergangsterchompolletQpczyk 3 votes
Black Star - Mos Def and Talib Kweli
86%
dwade206black caesarachewon87nillerthekidhueyking hassanStewMECCA1000za'kissGlockLesnar CoolJoeIbexBobOblahNothingButTheTruthD.OriginalsaracenwireEther44magTsotsi Cape TownRevolver OcelotResurrect_God_Birth 20 votes

Comments

• Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YO WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU B?
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude, do you sit and really think of these woat threads or do the just come to you naturally .......
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just listened to Black Star yesterday for the first time in a while.

that is one of the best rap albums ever released. Every song is crazy.

Nastradamus is cool but no.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    I remember when Black Star came out. I saw them perform twice. As an elder that grew up in the Public Enemy/BDP Self destruction era, I felt like Black Star was for white hipsters. That's my opinion. I remember all of my white friends were saying Black Star was the greatest thing since sliced bread but I just didn't feel it. It seemed forced to me.

Not saying Nastradamus is/was better
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cant beat a classic
  • Tsotsi Cape Town
    Tsotsi Cape Town Members Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disrespectful
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't remember making this thread but I swear, every white hipster I knew preferred Black Star over Jay Z and DMX.

In fact, I was living in Boston at the time and Boston is backpacker central. There's a lot of college kids that, for whatever reason, prefer intellectual rap over club/gangsta rap.

It was sickening the way these white hipsters would ogle over Black Star. And then when that Talib Kwelis and Hi Tek album came out you would have thought it was the second coming of Jesus.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I don't remember making this thread but I swear, every white hipster I knew preferred Black Star over Jay Z and DMX.

In fact, I was living in Boston at the time and Boston is backpacker central. There's a lot of college kids that, for whatever reason, prefer intellectual rap over club/gangsta rap.

It was sickening the way these white hipsters would ogle over Black Star. And then when that Talib Kwelis and Hi Tek album came out you would have thought it was the second coming of Jesus.

Black Star was better than Jay & DMZ
  • Iololike
    Iololike Members Posts: 2
    I think the first one is better
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DA ? IS THIS ? ??
  • Iololike
    Iololike Members Posts: 2
  • za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I remember when Black Star came out. I saw them perform twice. As an elder that grew up in the Public Enemy/BDP Self destruction era, I felt like Black Star was for white hipsters. That's my opinion. I remember all of my white friends were saying Black Star was the greatest thing since sliced bread but I just didn't feel it. It seemed forced to me.

Not saying Nastradamus is/was better

White hipsters like anything indie, underground, counterculture, "intellectual" etc

But that's a bad reason to dismiss Black Star, which is fundamentally on some pro-black ? , even if white people with white guilt complexes wanna be "down". Rawkus era conscious rap is closely connected to the SoulQuarian/neosoul movement in the mid to late 90s, which all comes from left-of-center, largely college educated / art school blacks.

Ironically, Pitchfork only gave Black On Both Sides an 8.7, but among true hip-hop heads it was and is a classic (for reference, rapreviews gave it a 10 at the time, which is a site that doesn't really cater to the hipster set). I feel like hipsters got more on the bandwagon when Kanye West rolled around.
  • Ghastly
    Ghastly Members Posts: 121
    what the ? type of question is this??