Grantland: What if This is OKC's Last Shot?

Options

Comments

• O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    O.G. wrote: »

That will go down as one of the most franchise-altering decisons in NBA history.

brooklyn-nets-paul-pierce-kevin-garnett-071813.jpg

[img]http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2014/04/brooklyn-nets-bench-? .gif[/img]

Ehh, they went for the glory, gave their best shot at a title. Cant knock em.

OKC gambled and may be remembered for 1) blowin a potential dynasty, and 2) tradin away a perrenial all star and maybe the best player at his position going forward

But they are only 9 wins away from starting a new dynasty without Harden. Harden's playoff performances since the trade does not prove that OKC really needed him. Don't forget OKC was without Russ in the 'offs last year. Who knows how far they would have gone with him?

Harden is a #1 option now. He would be their #3 option. Big difference.

Think about that. James Harden is your THIRD best player.

Harden's name now is kinda bein drug thru the mud, for whatever reason, but no matter what people say, he's arguably the best SG in the league. 25, 5, and 5. Unguardable...and that would be their THIRD best player.

But.... without him they are STILL 1 game away from the west finals. There is no definitive proof that he is missed by OKC. If they were struggling to score points I could see where you are coming from, but they have not skipped a beat and arguably are better of defensively.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    SO in my feels right now.

If we would'a kept Bearded-Jordan we would've swept the clipset and won every game by 20. But nah, nikkas gotta struggle to win in 6 these days.

Smh.

All we had to do was pay that man errthang he wanted. That's it. When you go to the finals, all you gotsta do is keep your 3 best players and you'll automatically go to the Finals every year thereafter until one of them retires.

Fact.

Ask Spurs fans. Duncan, Parker, Ginobli = Like 10 straight finals appearances, B.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't blame Presti for resigning Ibaka because a 4/5 with the athletic, defensive, finishing and shooting ability of his are rare to come by. I do think maybe they should've amnestied Perkins (if they could) to try and keep Harden on the team or at least waited longer before making the trade to Houston, maybe waited until the end of the season.

I understand why they did what they did because their owner doesn't have the super deep pockets like some other guys do. As long as Presti is the GM and they can keep the core 3 of Durant, Westbrook & Ibaka.........I think they will be fine. A coaching change might be in order for them to get over the ? but the GM and scout department have a good eye for talent.

• Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In hindsight I don't see how you CANT look at the Harden trade as an L for OKC.

That said this article is ridiculously premature. And that comparison to the Kings is off base as well. Chris Webber was in his prime years, Divac was already a grizzled vet. Mike Bibby was made to look better than he was by Derek Fisher's terrible pick and pop defense. (Word to Troy Hudson who also briefly looked like quality NBA player in a playoff series vs the Lakers) their window was much smaller. 1-2 years at best. If Durant and Westbrook stay together, they still have a legit 7-8 year window.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    C webb ? up his knee and its was wrap

He saying russ or durant can turn into penny hardaway with one bad fall
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options

In hindsight I don't see how you CANT look at the Harden trade as an L for OKC.

That said this article is ridiculously premature. And that comparison to the Kings is off base as well. Chris Webber was in his prime years, Divac was already a grizzled vet. Mike Bibby was made to look better than he was by Derek Fisher's terrible pick and pop defense. (Word to Troy Hudson who also briefly looked like quality NBA player in a playoff series vs the Lakers) their window was much smaller. 1-2 years at best. If Durant and Westbrook stay together, they still have a legit 7-8 year window.

7-8 MORE years? ...B/c they been together 6....
  • S2J
    Options

That will go down as one of the most franchise-altering decisons in NBA history.

brooklyn-nets-paul-pierce-kevin-garnett-071813.jpg

[img]http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2014/04/brooklyn-nets-bench-? .gif[/img]

Ehh, they went for the glory, gave their best shot at a title. Cant knock em.

OKC gambled and may be remembered for 1) blowin a potential dynasty, and 2) tradin away a perrenial all star and maybe the best player at his position going forward

But they are only 9 wins away from starting a new dynasty without Harden. Harden's playoff performances since the trade does not prove that OKC really needed him. Don't forget OKC was without Russ in the 'offs last year. Who knows how far they would have gone with him?

Harden is a #1 option now. He would be their #3 option. Big difference.

Think about that. James Harden is your THIRD best player.

Harden's name now is kinda bein drug thru the mud, for whatever reason, but no matter what people say, he's arguably the best SG in the league. 25, 5, and 5. Unguardable...and that would be their THIRD best player.

But.... without him they are STILL 1 game away from the west finals. There is no definitive proof that he is missed by OKC. If they were struggling to score points I could see where you are coming from, but they have not skipped a beat and arguably are better of defensively.

Depends what you see as 'definitive proof'. To me, when i see KD avg 34 in a series, and RW avg 28...and the rest of the team avg 35...That's a PROBLEM.

Everything else...the reg season success, the playof success w/out winning a ring...is fool's gold, which is why many people dont see a problem.
  • O.G.
    Options
    Depends what you see as 'definitive proof'. To me, when i see KD avg 34 in a series, and RW avg 28...and the rest of the team avg 35...That's a PROBLEM.
    Isn't that kinda the same PROBLEM the Lakers had with Shaq & Kobe?
    Everything else...the reg season success, the playof success w/out winning a ring...is fool's gold, which is why many people dont see a problem.
    Funny how you bring up regular season success and then wanna talk how Harden is missed in OKC. Completely forgetting that "The Beard" has been fresh skid marks in the playoffs. The core of that team is all young as hell. They still got plenty of time. Let's keep em on the Forman Grill a lil bit longer before we talk about their demise.

BTW, I'm not even a fan of OKC. I dont give 1/30th of a ? if they ever win a ring.

• greenwood1921
    Options
    Summer bunnies drive me craaazay.
  • S2J
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Isn't that kinda the same PROBLEM the Lakers had with Shaq & Kobe?
    Funny how you bring up regular season success and then wanna talk how Harden is missed in OKC. Completely forgetting that "The Beard" has been fresh skid marks in the playoffs. The core of that team is all young as hell. They still got plenty of time. Let's keep em on the Forman Grill a lil bit longer before we talk about their demise.

BTW, I'm not even a fan of OKC. I dont give 1/30th of a ? if they ever win a ring.

Shaq was a center---an unstoppable center, at that----big difference. His impact on defenses>>>>>KD and RW, so u could afford to surround those Lakers w/ lesser talent.

And Harden was what 21 when he disappeard vs Miami? His play this year in the playoffs i dont even care b/c, like i said, he's a #1 option now. He's gettin that spotlight. His name gettin dragged thru the mud, but if he's your 3rd option...

Just like as impt Bosh is to Miami's success as their 3rd option, he had ZERO points in game 7 last year and they won.
  • O.G.
    Options
    Shaq was a center---an unstoppable center, at that----big difference. His impact on defenses>>>>>KD and RW, so u could afford to surround those Lakers w/ lesser talent.
    OKC still has Ibaka tho. Last time I checked he was pretty good on defense.
    like i said, he's a #1 option now. He's gettin that spotlight. His name gettin dragged thru the mud, but if he's your 3rd option...Just like as impt Bosh is to Miami's success as their 3rd option, he had ZERO points in game 7 last year and they won.

But,but, but.. Harden did not want to stick around to be a 3rd option. He wanted to be a star. So now he is one in Houston and still building brick condos in the playoffs.

• S2J
    edited May 2014
    Options
    like i said, he's a #1 option now. He's gettin that spotlight. His name gettin dragged thru the mud, but if he's your 3rd option...Just like as impt Bosh is to Miami's success as their 3rd option, he had ZERO points in game 7 last year and they won.

But,but, but.. Harden did not want to stick around to be a 3rd option. He wanted to be a star. So now he is one in Houston and still building brick condos in the playoffs.

No no no, i mean his imact on opposing defenses, attracting doubles, getting shooters open, etc. You cant compare KD or RW's impact to Shaq.

Now if it was Harden's decison, nothin you can fault OKC with. But to my recollection it wasnt, they didnt offer him enough.

Like i said, people draggin his name thru the mud, but he's good. Houston is money w/ him, dwight, terrence jones, parsons, and there's rumors if they get rid of Asik and Lin they could sign Melo...or atleast another big free agent. Which is kinda the point Simmons is arguing. OKC is kinda stayin stagnant while other west squads are gettin better.
  • greenwood1921
    Options

Get out yo feelins, bruh.

If a nikka say 2+2 is 6, then it's 6. And if you disagree, you in ya feels, cuh.
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ibaka get that MRI yet
  • O.G.
    Options

Get out yo feelins, bruh.

If a nikka say 2+2 is 6, then it's 6. And if you disagree, you in ya feels, cuh.

LOl @ ? clicking feelings on YOUR post. (sarcasm is not browser friendly)

As for @S2J , I'm just helping nephew's thread have legs. I actually like reading his opinions on ? , Right or wrong. *shrugs*
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@O.G. well they won't have ibaka for the rest of the postseason
  • MR.CJ
    Options
    Max. wrote: »

@Max. last year it was westbrook, now its ibaka
  • O.G.
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »

It's over?
  • MR.CJ
    Options

It's over?

Belee dat
  • S2J
    Options
    Ibaka out smh Hmmm
    Just like we overrate youth and potential, we underrate injury luck, unfortunate breaks...and plain old bad luck

@greenwood1921‌ Fukin ? lol
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Damn if we would've kept harden Ibaka would be still healthy... Or better yet, Harden could've stepped up in Ibakas defensive role.

Dag, yo.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bill Simmons over-reacts to damn near everything and even though he made some points he also over looks the fact that OKC's core is still relatively young and they have some promising young role players on the bench that could be used as a sign and trade chips. Not to mention a few solid overseas prospects and multiple draft picks in this upcoming draft.

The front office of OKC has done a great job getting there core 3 players to build around and that is the hardest part of building a championship contender. Now they just need to get (if this isn't the right core) the right role players (maybe coach) to get them a championship. This team barring Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka injuries or internal strife is going to be good for a long time if the core 3 doesn't break up.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Da cutie-pies dey all know - they can always L-A-Y on my pil-lowwww.
  • Max.
    Options
    Max. wrote: »

@Max. last year it was westbrook, now its ibaka

Damn brah...
  • Max.
    Options