Chris Paul & Pure Point Guards

Options
Cigarello Slim
Cigarello Slim Members Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
So CP3 is being thrown under every bus around town and it led to an ongoing debate I've been having with the homies....

Can a pure point guard be the best player on his team and lead them to a title?

Some argue the best player has to have that killer instinct to put the ball in the basket, but at the same time I think it's just as valuable to have a player who's unselfish and willing to find the best look.

Thoughts?

Comments

• ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wouldnt give CP any credit for making Blake better he has a great work ethic and that's kinda taking away from his desire to want to be great ? was puttin up 20 and 10 without him
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Of course.

One thing I like about bball over football is that every player in the game is required to play offense and defense as well as several other things that they may not be the best at.

Chris Paul is a great PG. He has a lot of talent around him offensively and I feel like he maximizes it. However, they're not nearly as good defensively. And Doc Rivers gets too much credit as a coach.

Great players will lose in the playoffs and fall short of championships - they ALL have. Period. Team game.

The only thing that's unacceptable is being a so-called superstar but your team is struggling to make the playoffs at all.

I will say this tho -- from a strategic standpoint - you're only doing the defense a favor by limiting how and where your offense comes from. I don't give a ? if you got a John Stockton type PG or a Westbrook type -- if the defense knows that the entire offense flows thru ONE person, it makes half their job easier.

Like being a QB on a football team with no run-game. If the D knows that you *have* to pass, it makes it easier to key on. OKC knew this and capitalized defensively.

If I was DOC, I would've allowed more ISO's with Jamal Crawford and Griff instead of trying to force all the glory and responsibility on Cliff Paul to feed everybody.

I guarantee Cliff Paul would take a ? on the "best pure PG" narrative title he has to still be alive in the Playoffs right now.
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris flop ain't make Blake better

he average 23 and 12 before Paul.
  • Jonah 2.0
    Jonah 2.0 Members Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jonah 2.0 wrote: »
    Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson don't count ? was 6'10.
  • Jonah 2.0
    Jonah 2.0 Members Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    Magic Johnson don't count ? was 6'10.

There is no discussion of "Pure Point Guards" w/out Magic.

• [Trillmatic]
    [Trillmatic] Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cp3 has been the best point in the league for years. They lost the series to OKC duE to defensive breakdowns and unfortunate calls from the refs. Chris is undersized in today's league and that hurts his ability to be a scoring threat. The fact that he was out those weeks with the shoulder injury actually helped the clips learn how to play with out CP's playmaking ability being present. It was a ? send. At the end of the day, CP is your favorite PG's favorite PG lol. Dude is a monster straight up.
  • ericb4prez
    Options
    Paul size has nothing to do with him not being a scoring threat he jus dont wanna get buckets for whatever reason lol
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    didnt that ? avg damn near 20 though? how much more do you want from a pg?
  • mikelewis
    mikelewis Members Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Not a title, but I recall Jason Kidd and the Nets. That team was terrible before he came over through that trade in 2000. In two years, that team were in the NBA Finals.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Chris Paul has both. He's a pure point guard with a killer instinct, similar to a lot of the great PGs before him. Chris Paul's weaknesses are he can't go left comfortably, he flops too much, and he's too short to guard bigger guards.

He won't ever win a ring as the best player on his team, because there are way better players out there with just as much or more help.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options
    DaBull wrote: »
    Chris flop ain't make Blake better

he average 23 and 12 before Paul.

He didn't make him better, but he made him more dangerous. People underestimate how much easier it is to score or shoot off of a good pass.

In sum, CP3 made the Clippers about 10 times better, and took pressure off of his teammates. All Blake did was work on his jumper, so now he plays more like a SF and can somewhat stretch the defense. The problem is Blake still hasn't matured defensively, and they will continue to lose until Blake learns how protect the basket with his insane athletic ability.

• ericb4prez
    Options
    Blake defending the paint has nothing to do with them losing
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cp3 just need to score earlier in playoffs games if he was a pure pg he wouldnt never.let that warriors series go 7 or the okc go 7
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    is the underlying assumption that a "pure point guard" can't score over 30 a game or take over in crunch time?
    if that the case, I disagree with the definition.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Funny how only one out of the 4 remaining teams has a "unanimously respected pure PG."

The rest of the great "pure PG's" out chea fishing with a Schoolboy Q hat.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options
    Cp3 just need to score earlier in playoffs games if he was a pure pg he wouldnt never.let that warriors series go 7 or the okc go 7
    Or Blake can learn how to play defense like every other 'superstar' big man in the league.

• T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    O.G. wrote: »
    Can a pure point guard be the best player on his team and lead them to a title?

isaiah.jpg

That's the first person I thought of.

Isiah was a beast
  • Cigarello Slim
    Cigarello Slim Members Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I probably should edit that title to refer to todays game, we know what Zeke & Magic did.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mikelewis wrote: »
    Not a title, but I recall Jason Kidd and the Nets. That team was terrible before he came over through that trade in 2000. In two years, that team were in the NBA Finals.

Yea but the East was horrendous back then. Basically it was a "Who wants to get slaughtered by the Lakers this year?" award
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Define pure point guard... we know you're not referring to a combo guard but elaborate on the pure point position... n/h
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Define pure point guard... we know you're not referring to a combo guard but elaborate on the pure point position... n/h

Really ? ? No ? ? For what...
  • Focal Point
    Options
    coop9889 wrote: »

Don't blow my high... live a little ? it's a running joke
  • Focal Point
    Options
    Parallel wrote: »
    coop9889 wrote: »

Don't blow my high... live a little ? it's a running joke

Nh

Ether... :-(