Should Hollywood produce more franchise cross-over movies?

Options
soul rattler
soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
What if studios like Marvel, Fox, and Sony came up with the perfect formula for contracts which would allow each studios' franchise to connect to one another on a film-by-film basis?

We saw it with Freddy and Jason as well as Alien and Predator. Even if it was for only one movie, would it be worth it to see some of the various roles that Brad Pitt, Dwayne Johnson, Jennifer Lawrence, Will Smith, Angelina Jolie, Johnny Depp, etc. interweave with one another?

For example, I made this joke about Tyrese:
Fact: Tyrese's characters from Baby Boy, Waist Deep, and the Fast & Furious is the same guy.

Yyvette gave birth to Jody's son, but then emptied out his account and dipped. That's when he and Peanut went into hustling. They recasted Game as Peanut and gave him another name, Big Meat. After escaping the country, he met Paul Walker's character while visiting Florida. The rest is F&F history.

It could help to introduce more talent into the existing popular actor pool by associating them with the biggest names.

Also, I need an excuse to post this video of the TMNT/Power Rangers cross over from the 90's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE-m0fA8MKQ

Comments

• dogfromduckhunt
    dogfromduckhunt Members Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Outside of superhero movies, depends on how far they take it.

Thought the AvP stuff was trash, but I did like how they crossed over by showing a xenomorph skull in the predators collection(thought they were doing something with blade runner to tie that in too). Star Wars/ET was trash in the prequels(mostly just because the cgi et's looked and acted like dogshit), but cool in E.T., when he recognized the Yoda mask. Trading Places and Coming to America was cool with the Duke brothers being broke.

Seems like it works best if its under the same person though. Henson, Tarantino, Whedon, etc.