Stephen King's 'It' Moves From Warner Bros. To New Line

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
stephen_king_it_cover_a_p.jpg

The long road to re-adapt Stephen King's novel It has taken another turn.

Warner Bros. has been developing a big-screen take for five years, and in 2012 it hired Cary Fukunaga to direct two films produced by Roy Lee, Dan Lin, Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg.

But just as Fukunaga is coming off HBO's True Detective, the project is leaving Warners -- sort of.

In a rare move, It is shifting to the studio's New Line division. Insiders say that as New Line prepares for a June move from West Hollywood to Warners' Burbank lot, the siblings are drawing clearer distinctions about the types of movies they make.

New Line will now take the lead on horror, bringing the company back to one of its roots. It was once known as the House that Freddy Built due to the long-standing success of the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise. Horror is now having a resurgence at the company -- the emphasis is less slashery and more thrills and chills -- as evidenced by last year'? The Conjuring.

And It is a horror play. The story follows a group of kids called the Losers Club who defeat a creature called It. Years later, the creature returns and the club, now adults, have to band together again even though they have no memory of the first battle.

The plan is for the first movie to tell the kids’ story and the second movie to focus on the adults.

It will be overseen by the division's Walter Hamada and Dave Neustadter, with Warners vp production Niija Kuykendall helping.

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Saw the first movie when i was 4. Traumatized me. still kinda creeps me out. Cant wait to see what they do with the remake.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hopefully it ain't no 4 hour movie
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It top 5 scariest creatures. Hopefully they take this movie somewhat serious.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Movie still creep me the ? out, can't stop watching tho.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    iron man1 wrote: »

I read awhile ago that the first film was made for TV. 2nd film is going to be Rated R and straight Horror. Hope they do good.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I had this movie on DVD for years and I haven't watched it yet.gotdamn movie like 3 hours
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man most of these remakes have been wacc lately but if a good director gets a shot at this it could be goat
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That book was super long, biblical length. It's way more ? up than that ABC mini series though. So ? up that even if it's R rated they still have to make some big changes. I think a movie that could do it a little more justice could actually work though.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    I read the book in highschool. Definitely better than the movie.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Dont know who i would want to play Pennywise these days. The dude from the original movie did an awesome job imo.
  • gdatruth2.0
    gdatruth2.0 Members Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    That book was super long, biblical length. It's way more ? up than that ABC mini series though. So ? up that even if it's R rated they still have to make some big changes. I think a movie that could do it a little more justice could actually work though.

lol
    there is one episode spefically I can never imagine being depicted on the big screen

• gdatruth2.0
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Dont know who i would want to play Pennywise these days. The dude from the original movie did an awesome job imo.

she is a suggestion I read online
    453px-Tilda_Swinton_Cannes_2013.JPG
  • gdatruth2.0
    Options

she is a suggestion I read online
    453px-Tilda_Swinton_Cannes_2013.JPG

? terrifying. She aint even in make up yet either.

yeah i could see her pulling it based on the direction they want to go or based on homie's performance in True Detective he might be an interesting choice

yellow-king-true-detective-episode-3.png

he was basically a depiction of a very similiar character in a different story
  • Cocoa_Butter
    Cocoa_Butter Members Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I loved IT even though it scared the hell outta me when I was younger. If this remake stays close to the book, my childhood fears will probably return tenfold.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They all flooooooaaat!
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? had a ? shook of storm drains for years.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

lol
    there is one episode spefically I can never imagine being depicted on the big screen

what?
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    iron man1 wrote: »

I read awhile ago that the first film was made for TV. 2nd film is going to be Rated R and straight Horror. Hope they do good.
    It was made for TV, The Stand was made for TV also, think that book's even longer than It. There was also a made for TV version of The Shining that come out in the late '90s I believe that was supposed to be more faithful to the book since Stephen King hated Stanley Kubrick's version.

Now, The Eyes of the Dragon is a King novel they need to make a movie off of. That ? was ? , anybody else read it? If you like the Game of Thrones books you'd like it.
  • gdatruth2.0
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »

lol

what?

typo on my part meant scene

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

lol

what?

I thought you were talking about
    when the girl lets the boys run a train on her to help keep the monster at bay during the childhood section

that ? is definitely not making it into this movie.
  • gdatruth2.0
    Options

lol

what?

I thought you were talking about
    when the girl lets the boys run a train on her to help keep the monster at bay during the childhood section

that ? is definitely not making it into this movie.

yeah thats what i was referring. Know what that ever sees leaves the page in any context.

• texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's some other crazy stuff that happened in the book?