Anxiety Medication

Options
KLICHE
KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
For years now been dealing with anxiety. My work life is ok, get bad anxiety any time of the day no matter what I do, but my social life I feel it is debilitating as I find it hard to go out and not get nervous, anxious, and people can see that I am uncomfortable and to be honest been a few years since I have really gone anywhere without feeling like ? .

I have been considering trying medication..

ANyone here used any medications for anxiety and if so, what did you feel like and did it help??

Comments

• RAPH
    RAPH Members Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Making a Killing: The Untold Story of Psychotropic Drugging - Full Movie (Documentary)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDlH9sV0lHU

Over half of the people that commit suicide in the United States are prescribed to psychotropic drugs. (Ex: Paxil (Paroxetine), Zoloft (Sertraline), Prozac, Wellbutrin (Bupropion), Effexor, Seroquil, Ultram (Tramadol), etc.)

Don't do it.
  • KLICHE
    Options
    RAPH wrote: »
    Making a Killing: The Untold Story of Psychotropic Drugging - Full Movie (Documentary)

Over half of the people that commit suicide in the United States are prescribed to psychotropic drugs. (Ex: Paxil (Paroxetine), Zoloft (Sertraline), Prozac, Wellbutrin (Bupropion), Effexor, Seroquil, Ultram (Tramadol), etc.)

Don't do it.

Don't do it.

I wholeheartedly appreciate your feedback and going to view this now! I had heard of some bad ? as a result of meds and liver damage being the least to worry about. Thanks man!

• RAPH
    edited May 2014
    Options
    KLICHE wrote: »

Don't do it.

Don't do it.

I wholeheartedly appreciate your feedback and going to view this now! I had heard of some bad ? as a result of meds and liver damage being the least to worry about. Thanks man!

No problem, I considered taking antidepressants years ago but I changed my mind after observing a few friends of mine take them and their conditions only became worse over the years.

I've suffered from depression, anxiety, and panic attacks in the past and fortunately I was able to overcome them all without any prescription drugs whatsoever. If I can do it, you can do it.
  • KLICHE
    Options

Don't do it.

Don't do it.

No problem, I considered taking antidepressants years ago but I changed my mind after observing a few friends of mine take them and their conditions only became worse over the years.

I've suffered from depression, anxiety, and panic attacks in the past and fortunately I was able to overcome them all without any prescription drugs whatsoever. If I can do it, you can do it.

Likewise I have the bouts of depression, anxiety and panic attacks.

I think these can be overcome by other ways, training yourself to deal with those feelings before they arise.

Only thing that stand out to me is what can be for those with say Schizophrenia, or say the bi-polar. My sis has bi-polar issues, and she would flip out when the mood seemed to change. But I know medication she takes has been just as bumpy a ride. When they were once tweaking the meds up and down she cried saying she could her voices in her head, and felt like jumping in front of oncoming traffic. ? was either equally as bad with meds or even WORSE. Now she seems to cycle them on and off by her psychiatrist and then hits the gym alot and finds it gives some release. But one thing she hasn't been able to control or keep under wraps is OCD and this mood of always being right and in charge. Just seems with everything around her she has to be in control and dictate what we all do. At times gets damn right rude and abusive and I walk out or say ok had enough and leave.

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    On the real there's a book called "optimum nutrition for the mind", you might learn a thing or two about your diet and how it's affecting your mind
  • TruthSerum777
    TruthSerum777 Members Posts: 66 ✭✭
    Options
    Use medication as a last resort for anything you're dealing with. Here's a couple home remedies that are very helpful and simple. The aroma of an orange is known to reduce anxiety. All you have to do to get the benefits is peel an orange and inhale. You can also drop the peel into a small pan or potpourri burner. Cover with water and simmer. When heated, the orange peel will release its fragrant and calming oil.

Orange juice. For a racing heart rate associated with anxiety, stir 1 teaspoon honey and a pinch of nutmeg into 1 cup orange juice and drink.

Hope this helps.
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Your basically falling for the mental health label if you start getting prescriptions from doctors for this stuff. That label can lead to some bad stuff like them committing you to facilities against your will. Your not alone with whatever your feeling. Falling for the myth of mental illness is not the answer.
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why not try some relaxation/breathing exercises? Your condition sounds mostly physiological to me.

http://www.hws.edu/studentlife/counseling_relax.aspx

I downloaded these .mp3 files and I've used them since I took an Abnormal Psychology course 3 years ago as an undergrad. My teacher sent us this link.
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I had a severe bout with anxiety earlier this year, the best advice and the best thing you can do is remember- its mind over matter.

It influenced me so much that I decided to start a non-profit organization to help others deal with anxiety, depression and stress.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was on abilify and some other stuff but stopped taking them last year.All of them have side effects depending on the person.

They make you really sick when you stop taking them too as your body starts to reject them.

As someone suggested, try other things and only use them as a last resort.The truth is I still had/have anxiety even while on meds.

You have to learn how to manage it, because it is all mental.I am better than before, but not because of meds.
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds like social anxiety disorder, or social phobia. If that's the case, check out the "Treatment" section after clicking the link. I have that, and apparently, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) can be the safest and most successful solution. I don't like meds at all. That's the cheap, expensive, and dangerous way out.
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2ludg.gif

I don't think he wants to smoke ? rubato but thank you much
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Same issues depression, anxiety, depersonalization all that. I can fight it off mentally for a while but cant hold it off and it always sets back in. What makes it worse is that in social settings you get even more self conscious cuz you know you looking like an uptight weirdo smh
  • KLICHE
    Options
    G.Avant wrote: »
    Same issues depression, anxiety, depersonalization all that. I can fight it off mentally for a while but cant hold it off and it always sets back in. What makes it worse is that in social settings you get even more self conscious cuz you know you looking like an uptight weirdo smh

Bruh, you summed me up! EXACTLY

? been bothering me for over a decade. And at times before I'd drink alcohol then go out, as felt it got me relaxed and calm but even that stopped after years of abusing it. So now don't drink it.

I just feel jittery, then tense, and start breathing heavy, at times just got to walk out, but last couple years haven't gone out except in the day for basic ? and work.
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    G.Avant wrote: »

Bruh, you summed me up! EXACTLY

? been bothering me for over a decade. And at times before I'd drink alcohol then go out, as felt it got me relaxed and calm but even that stopped after years of abusing it. So now don't drink it.

I just feel jittery, then tense, and start breathing heavy, at times just got to walk out, but last couple years haven't gone out except in the day for basic ? and work.

I get headaches in social scenarios I guess cause I be focusing so hard to fight that ? . Been dealing with it for like 6 years now but starting to get better, dont really want to see anybody bout it cuz its such a stupid fear to have, so Im just gonna beat it on my own.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I had these same issues but i chucked it up to the fact that i don't coalesce with people much. I don't like conversing and yelling to get attention in a crowd with music blaring. I can barely hear after nerve damage out of one ear anyway. Things started getting redundant and people started showing their weaknesses or at least i started noticing them more. I also noticed my weakness compared to other people and I'm not comfortable with exposing myself to people like that because i find that people use things like that against you. This is especially so when you have a skill set that they desire to take advantage of.

I also don't have a lot in common with people anymore and find that people don't discuss broader topics or the topics are too focused on industries that I'm not a part of. It really showed when one day, i was with a group of friends in someone's loft and everyone there knew how to draw and had an impromptu drawing session (even the girl i invited to hang with me. I can barely doodle and even though i enjoyed watching, i felt completely out of my element because i wanted to be a part of it, which isn't a good feeling. Basically, I'm a loner and give people my presence in small doses. I can work better one on one but even that gets to be a pain. ? , i barely like spending time with myself. I gotta find more hobbies to keep me distracted. It doesn't help that i have such an erratic and unconventional background.
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    Sounds like social anxiety disorder, or social phobia. If that's the case, check out the "Treatment" section after clicking the link. I have that, and apparently, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) can be the safest and most successful solution. I don't like meds at all. That's the cheap, expensive, and dangerous way out.

GOAT for the CBT drop. I'm going to be trained to administer this therapy over the next couple of years. I've read research on it and it's efficacy with anxiety, mood, and affective disorders. It uses a variety of cognitive and behavioral techniques, with the behavioral techniques introduced first. So the participant is introduced to ways of alleviating the physiological symptoms first before moving on to negative thinking. CBT works best with acute to mild/moderately severe cases of anxiety and depression.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been dealing with gad for the past 2-3 yrs. Asked my doctor about medication cause it got real rough (like 5-6 anxiety attacks a day) he strongly suggested that I don't use any medication since psychotropic drugs are among the most addictive. His suggestion was marijuana. Unfortunately for me I was certain that smoking was causing my anxiety attacks so that was a no go. We looked into different breathing techniques, keeping myself calm when having an attack, and I can't speak for anyone else but I would have attacks before falling asleep for the night so my doctor suggested lying down on the floor or the latest surface nearby with no lights, TV or any noise for 5-10 minutes just lay flat on your back. Worked amazingly for me, after a few months I stopped having attacks before bed altogether. Fast forward a couple years and I've went from having attacks 5-6 times a day to once or twice a month. You just have to remember its all in your head. Talking about it with people around you or a professional if you can afford it isn't a bad idea also.
  • KLICHE
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    I had these same issues but i chucked it up to the fact that i don't coalesce with people much. I don't like conversing and yelling to get attention in a crowd with music blaring. I can barely hear after nerve damage out of one ear anyway. Things started getting redundant and people started showing their weaknesses or at least i started noticing them more. I also noticed my weakness compared to other people and I'm not comfortable with exposing myself to people like that because i find that people use things like that against you. This is especially so when you have a skill set that they desire to take advantage of.

I also don't have a lot in common with people anymore and find that people don't discuss broader topics or the topics are too focused on industries that I'm not a part of. It really showed when one day, i was with a group of friends in someone's loft and everyone there knew how to draw and had an impromptu drawing session (even the girl i invited to hang with me. I can barely doodle and even though i enjoyed watching, i felt completely out of my element because i wanted to be a part of it, which isn't a good feeling. Basically, I'm a loner and give people my presence in small doses. I can work better one on one but even that gets to be a pain. ? , i barely like spending time with myself. I gotta find more hobbies to keep me distracted. It doesn't help that i have such an erratic and unconventional background.

Thanks for sharing this! From 18 to at least 28 I would drink and drink and then when the alcohol kicked into gear I felt I could finally handle the anxiety. But then the drink became a problem for me big time.

I find similarly that when in a group the conversations get so redundant as you said and everyone seems a carbon copy of the next with no thoughts of their own that I switch off. And some anxiety due to frustration I think on my part. When i work in the street withmy job in telecommunications and am doing labor work, or say out grabbing soem food, and I catch someone looking at me my nerves start to build and although never been a violent person I feel like when it is really really bad that I'd almost lash out with like "wtf are you looking at". OR in instances where people like to stare, I say hi, but they just stare blank and happens alot, then I try laugh it off in my mind, like am I really seeing this. But often people who have been around me say what is this person staring at, and I'm minding my own business and they seem to gawk at me like they have an issues. So that to me put to rest the idea that I was paranoid.

• KLICHE
    Options
    s.free wrote: »
    I've been dealing with gad for the past 2-3 yrs. Asked my doctor about medication cause it got real rough (like 5-6 anxiety attacks a day) he strongly suggested that I don't use any medication since psychotropic drugs are among the most addictive. His suggestion was marijuana. Unfortunately for me I was certain that smoking was causing my anxiety attacks so that was a no go. We looked into different breathing techniques, keeping myself calm when having an attack, and I can't speak for anyone else but I would have attacks before falling asleep for the night so my doctor suggested lying down on the floor or the latest surface nearby with no lights, TV or any noise for 5-10 minutes just lay flat on your back. Worked amazingly for me, after a few months I stopped having attacks before bed altogether. Fast forward a couple years and I've went from having attacks 5-6 times a day to once or twice a month. You just have to remember its all in your head. Talking about it with people around you or a professional if you can afford it isn't a bad idea also.

Interesting you say this! Cause this week I am planning to buy weed. And never been a smoker, took a few tokes approx a decade ago and never got into it. But with me notwanting to try meds and heard all the horrific stories that can follow, I am going to see if I vape it just maybe on a Friday when I know I have the weekend off, and see how I feel and the following day if I feel any different. Some have told me they do it and not in large amounts or really getting high as ? , but find it really keeps them chilled and those rapid emotions in check. See how I go.
  • WYRM
    WYRM Members Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options

Thanks for sharing this! From 18 to at least 28 I would drink and drink and then when the alcohol kicked into gear I felt I could finally handle the anxiety. But then the drink became a problem for me big time.

I find similarly that when in a group the conversations get so redundant as you said and everyone seems a carbon copy of the next with no thoughts of their own that I switch off. And some anxiety due to frustration I think on my part. When i work in the street withmy job in telecommunications and am doing labor work, or say out grabbing soem food, and I catch someone looking at me my nerves start to build and although never been a violent person I feel like when it is really really bad that I'd almost lash out with like "wtf are you looking at". OR in instances where people like to stare, I say hi, but they just stare blank and happens alot, then I try laugh it off in my mind, like am I really seeing this. But often people who have been around me say what is this person staring at, and I'm minding my own business and they seem to gawk at me like they have an issues. So that to me put to rest the idea that I was paranoid.
    he needed to do more research and tell you to look for a strain with higher CBD and lower THC, the THC allegedly causes the psychosis associated with MJ, the CBD (Cannabidiol) counteracts/balances the medicine. CBD's are the way to go, just remember the THC is what mainly gets you "high" and you want to avoid that "if you are truly seeking treatment and not a high". Basically THC is for fun CBD is medicine.

I hear there is a strain called Charlottes Web, it has be approved in Florida for treatment of seizures and mainly in children. This legislation just happened recently. I beleive it's to sway the polls in November, why vote for medical marijuana if our state has already "approved" it. I beleive they are using it to draw the conservative voters to vote no on our medical mj bill coming up for vote.
  • KLICHE
    Options
    WYRMWYRD wrote: »

he needed to do more research and tell you to look for a strain with higher CBD and lower THC, the THC allegedly causes the psychosis associated with MJ, the CBD (Cannabidiol) counteracts/balances the medicine. CBD's are the way to go, just remember the THC is what mainly gets you "high" and you want to avoid that "if you are truly seeking treatment and not a high". Basically THC is for fun CBD is medicine.

Appreciate the feedback, because in all seriousness I know VERY little about Cannabis.

• RAPH
    Options

Don't do it.

Don't do it.

Likewise I have the bouts of depression, anxiety and panic attacks.

I think these can be overcome by other ways, training yourself to deal with those feelings before they arise.

Only thing that stand out to me is what can be for those with say Schizophrenia, or say the bi-polar. My sis has bi-polar issues, and she would flip out when the mood seemed to change. But I know medication she takes has been just as bumpy a ride. When they were once tweaking the meds up and down she cried saying she could her voices in her head, and felt like jumping in front of oncoming traffic. ? was either equally as bad with meds or even WORSE. Now she seems to cycle them on and off by her psychiatrist and then hits the gym alot and finds it gives some release. But one thing she hasn't been able to control or keep under wraps is OCD and this mood of always being right and in charge. Just seems with everything around her she has to be in control and dictate what we all do. At times gets damn right rude and abusive and I walk out or say ok had enough and leave.

Exactly the same time I begin suffering from panic attacks my best friend and roommate begin suffering from bouts of schizophrenia. We really feel that it was a spiritual attack on our household from all the weed heads and loose women we would allow in there.

My brother in law has heard voices too. I totally believe that all of these things are manifesting from demonic spirits though. I've personally experience sleep paralysis from when I was 4 years old, up until this very day. I believe that the heavenly Father can solve all these things, he surely has for me. I believe in the bible 100%, but I wouldn't recommend any mainstream religion, church, or denomination though.