We've been misled by a False World Map for 500 years....

Options
Melqart
Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in The Social Lounge
peters_projection_map_article_header.jpg

As we now know the Earth is round. Therefore, the challenge of any world map is to represent a round Earth on a flat surface. There are literally thousands of map projections and each has certain strengths and corresponding weaknesses but the one your now picturing in your head most likely isn’t the area accurate representation. The more accurate representation of land mass is the Peters Projection Map seen here:

PETER’S PROJECTION WORLD MAP

peters-projection.jpg

I find it absolutely astonishing that this information was not presented to me during education and studying Geography, the differences are overwhelming. Here’s a direct representation of the previously assumed factual map with the real flattened version:

peters-projection-comparison-world-map.jpg

THE TRUE SIZE OF AFRICA

The map shows how Africa (30,3 million km²) is larger than the combination of China (9,6 million km²), the US (9,4 million km²), Western Europe (4,9 million km²), India (3,2 million km²) and Argentina (2,8 million km²), three Scandinavian countries and the British Isles (map gives no surface for these last two areas).

The Peters Projection world map is one of the most stimulating, and controversial, images of the world. When this map was first introduced by historian and cartographer Dr. Arno Peters at a Press Conference in Germany in 1974 it generated a firestorm of debate. The first English-version of the map was published in 1983, and it continues to have passionate fans as well as staunch detractors.

Africa-true-size-peters-projection.png

This map was featured in “The West Wing,” but map dishonesty is anything but fictional. Check out this clip to get an accurate look at the size of Africa and explanation as to why it’s been like this:

http://youtu.be/n8zBC2dvERM

Favoured by National Geographic if one 2D representation of the world is to be used in the media and integrated into education then perhaps this, the winkel tripel projection is the most accurate because it displays both curvature and a truer land mass:

wold_map_1-1024x682.jpg

Source: http://livelearnevolve.com/peters-projection-world-map/

Wow... Eurocentric deception knows no bounds... this is crazy. everything we know is a lie. thoughts?

Comments

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In before the lock
  • Melqart
    Options
    huey wrote: »
    thought we knew africa was big as ?

maybe in numbers, but when the principle world map that formed our view of the world is flawed, then thats not worth mentioning?
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anyone with a brain knows. I don't know what OP's point is.
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Repost thread.
  • Melqart
    Options
    Repost thread.

youre right, my fault haha
  • Melqart
    Options
    mods you guys can delete the thread since it was made a year ago.
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If your geography teacher was worth a ? you already knew how map projections work
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meroe wrote: »
    Repost thread.

youre right, my fault haha

You should know better kid
  • _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    Options
    Interesting...I knew there were inaccuracies, but...interesting
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    just going to say that i got taught this in public school decades ago
  • _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    Options
    I was taught this in middle school, but we didn't have the actual Peters Projection Map...knowin about it and being able to actually (finally?) visualize it decades later is...something
  • Melqart
    Options
    Well if yall approve, then ? it i guess lol :) honestly my main reason for posting it was the west wing clip but so far not one of yall have even mentioned it hahahaha
  • Melqart
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    just going to say that i got taught this in public school decades ago

Sadly never got taught this here in LA... and I was in honors through out my entire grade school. then again LAUSD is ranked one of the absolute worst school districts in the country
  • Mainstream_rap_sucks
    Mainstream_rap_sucks Members Posts: 210
    Options
    so just to be clear you're literally saying that the map was deliberately altered by europeans to make africa look smaller to further hold back the black man because nothing says race superiority like who's continent holds more square mileage.

wow... afrocentric victim playing knows no bounds
  • Rubato Garcia
    Options
    so just to be clear you're literally saying that the map was deliberately altered by europeans to make africa look smaller to further hold back the black man because nothing says race superiority like who's continent holds more square mileage.

No one said that but you. Nice straw man though.
  • Mainstream_rap_sucks
    Mainstream_rap_sucks Members Posts: 210
    Options

No one said that but you. Nice straw man though.

someone didnt read the first post or watch the video attached.
  • Rubato Garcia
    Options
    Read the first post in its entirety, didn't watch the video
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Sadly never got taught this here in LA... and I was in honors through out my entire grade school. then again LAUSD is ranked one of the absolute worst school districts in the country
    go go Maryland

better than another state at something somehow

• (ob)Scene
    (ob)Scene Members Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The video actually says hold back third world nations. Why you so intimidated by the black man?
  • Sir Lurkalot
    Sir Lurkalot Members Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    who still look at maps anyway?!
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

maybe in numbers, but when the principle world map that formed our view of the world is flawed, then thats not worth mentioning?

Not really. People would be just as unable to pick important places out on the right map as they are on the wrong map, so what difference does it make? And it's not like everyone didn't know about this. We learned in my high school that any 2D map of a 3D object was a flawed depiction of reality.
  • Melqart
    Options

Not really. People would be just as unable to pick important places out on the right map as they are on the wrong map, so what difference does it make? And it's not like everyone didn't know about this. We learned in my high school that any 2D map of a 3D object was a flawed depiction of reality.

Well clearly i wasnt the only one who didnt know about this specific projection. and its a "the More you know" kind of thread. who really cares besides that.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I never said you were the only one that didn't know. You asked whether it was worth mentioning. I'm saying "No" because the people who need accurate maps know the difficulties attached to making maps while a large portion of people who don't need accurate maps can't even use the one they have properly.
  • lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Those crackers!