Is JOHN STOCKTON the greatest point guard of all time??

Options
Lustchyld
Lustchyld Members Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in From the Cheap Seats
Never won a ring, but had a HOF, stellar career. Cases could be made for several PGs (Magic, Isaiah, Kidd, Nash, etc.). What yall think?

Is JOHN STOCKTON the greatest point guard of all time?? 60 votes

4 sho
10%
nycest_1Rampage12ericb4prezdakidfrankietha bausezerocool 6 votes
nahhhh....
85%
MillzOGalmighty breezeinfamous114usmarin3aneed123the ghostbigduece69d.greenJusDre313themadlionsfanR.D.bigbird_1dneez0228gman82CJwaterproofCutler 26 INT's LOL!DOPEdweebzGlockLesnar So ILL 51 votes
Don't make me choose
5%
PanchoYoSanchoA$AP_A$TONLustchyld 3 votes

Comments

• DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    nahhhh....
    Magic isiah...
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? board as ?
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no but a very effective and efficient one
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah but hes inthe penthouse of pointguards in the HOF though
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nahhhh....
    Him and Nash are big byproducts of the system they were in imo. I just feel like dudes like Magic, Isiah, etc would be great anywhere in any system.
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    nahhhh....
    Kidd>>>Stockton

In his prime could give you a triple double any night, a better defender and carried the NEW JERSEY NETS to the finals twice, with Kenyon Martin as his 2nd best player
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nahhhh....
    John Stockton was the system. He was a all around great PG. My thing is he had one of the greatest PF to play with him.

Magic and Isiah Thomas were better PG but they also had each other to gauge their talents. John Stockton really didnt have a (media) rival, per se. Gary Payton, Kevin Johnson, Tim Hardaway, were his counterparts (I know I missed some).
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nahhhh....
    Top 5
  • dakidfrankie
    dakidfrankie Members Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    4 sho
    i pick 4sho because that's the first time i seen it in a poll..so yeah
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Him and Nash are big byproducts of the system they were in imo. I just feel like dudes like Magic, Isiah, etc would be great anywhere in any system.

SHUTUP
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ58GpdwC10

Stockton is slept on.He was a white chris paul(without the floppin).He hit this crucial jumper to save the jazz season they were down 1 with 7 seconds left in the game and down 2-1 in the series.
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nahhhh....
    Magic then Oscar Robertson
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nahhhh....
    Stockton has many strong points. Unselfish, never got hurt, played FOREVER, a knockdown shooter, and was a relentless houdning (albeit ? ) defender. But he gets overrated alot IMO because of his assist record and longevity. At his peak, he couldn't take over games or lead a team like other PGs of his time. I mean, in his prime was he really that much better (or better at all), than Payton, KJ, both Hardaways or even Price? I don't see a huge difference, just that he played longer and also played with arguably the goat PF when it comes to stats.. My problems with Stockton are as follows, and I hope a Stockton supporter can break them down...

- Always a second option

-Never seemed to take over games, just played in the "flow" (he never scored over 35 points in a game ever, thats just insane)

- Jazz lost 8 or so first round matchups in the postseason

- While he has the assist record, I don't think he was a better passer than Magic, Kidd, Nash, or even Bird to name a few. Made the sound fundamental passes but never really wowed me with his playmaking

- Has some clutch moments, but a lot of choke jobs in the playoffs... A lot times the Jazz would be dying for some points down the stretch, and Malone would be forced to try and take over. Malone got the heat for being a choker, but Stockton would rarely assert himself in the last minutes of games
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    edited May 2014
    Options
    nahhhh....

Don't do this b.

And hell na John Stockton aint the best PG, he's not even top 5 b.

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KamPushMe wrote: »
    This ? board as ?

You saying OP looks like this?

000013h4
  • Kellmill
    Kellmill Members, Writer Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Isaiah is the best point guard but he's definitely one of the all time greats and I have no problems with him being Top 5 all time. He wasn't a prolific scorer but he could get everybody on the court looks and was one of the smartest dudes ever to play the game
  • Jonah 2.0
    Jonah 2.0 Members Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nahhhh....
    Magic.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nahhhh....
    I can't even think of one epic Stockton moment. Magic had that game 6 when he played center, Isiah had that 40+ point playoff game, etc. What was Stockton's epic moment?
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    WHAT?! The Cheap Seats ain't got no love for John Stockton, and his all time passing?? Y'all don't love us him?
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    4 sho
    I can't even think of one epic Stockton moment. Magic had that game 6 when he played center, Isiah had that 40+ point playoff game, etc. What was Stockton's epic moment?
    Helping Malone have the second most points in NBA history???

• zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    4 sho
    Yes....he is the GOAT pg of all time....tough defender as well
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    4 sho

"John stockton sends the utah jazz to the nba finals"