Lebron or Kobe. Who has more skills?

luke1733
luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in From the Cheap Seats
I know this thread had to be made already, but I didn’t see it.
Which player is more skilled? (No MJ references allowed)
If I had to pick one for my team it might be Lebron. Kobe’s my favorite and I think he is more skilled than Lebron (and I don’t think Lebron’s skills are close to Kobe’s although Lebron has skills), but if I had to build a team and the choice was between those two it would be Lebron due to his personality, playing style, abilities to play defense, rebound and make plays, and his team chemistry along with getting teammates involved in the game by playing unselfishly.

When it comes to individual talent, Kobe is on another level. Sorry, to all the young NBA fans who did not see Kobe in his prime and to all the Kobe haters that waited 15 years boycotting the NBA and Kobe, but this is who he was. I would pick Kobe over Lebron for fourth quarters, or for that player who can single handedly win a game (without passing) or even possibly a championship. I would pick Kobe if I need a player to literally coach other players and hold them accountable and discipline other players. I would pick Kobe for overall skill set without a seconds hesitation compared to Lebron.

Here’s where Lebron wins: Lebron is better than Kobe in many physical areas such as ability to grab more rebounds and physically force your way through defenses by simply using his bodies mass to move players out. Lebron is far superior to Kobe in dunking (Kobe wasn't bad at dunking, he won the dunk contest, but Lebron is better). Mentally Lebron is better at naturally getting his team involved by willingly passing them the ball unselfishly, stat wise he is pretty much in all categories superior to Kobe (this says a helluva lot in his favor), his defense is better than Kobe (Kobe in his prime was a good defensive player but not as good and versatile as Lebron is at guarding almost anyone), Lebron’s physical size is better than Kobe’s.

Here’s where Kobe beats Lebron:
Kobe dribbles far better than Lebron, Kobe spins quicker than Lebron, Kobe shoots better than Lebron, Kobe’s post moves are far superior to Lebron, Kobe’s coaching other players on the floor is better than Lebron, Kobe’s read on defenses is better than Lebron (i.e. his IQ is higher), Kobe’s foot work is better than Lebron, Kobe’s fadeaway is better,Kobe drawing out plays on the sideline is better, Kobe handles double teams better than Lebron if he doesn’t have to pass through it, Kobe’s cross over is better, Kobe’s teardrop is better, Kobe’s left hand shooting and dribbling is better, Kobe’s shake moves are better, Kobe’s headfake pump shots are better, Kobe’s ability to bring his team back from losing 30 point games single-handedly to win them, Kobe’s killer/assassin instinct is or was better.

Now, to the untouchables: Point is if your feet are turned the wrong way, Kobe knows immediately a move that he can do that is unstoppable for you because your feet would cross the wrong way and make you incapable of going in his direction. If your shoulders are slumped then he knows how to lean over you or through you to split a defense like a Tony Parker. Lebron doesn’t know this stuff as good as Kobe. Other example is, if you like going to your right to drive the bastketball or if you like to play corner shots like a Ray Allen or Richard Hamilton then Kobe knows this and used to (he’s gotten lazy on defense recently) force you out of your offensive game by not allowing you to go to your strengths as an offensive player, if the opposing team calls a certain play then Kobe knows that play the other team called and how to counter it. Kobe is a student and teacher of the game. Lebron is still learning things that Kobe came to the NBA already knowing. The scary thing is Lebron is learning and getting better. Kobe already knew the stuff and therefore was a know-it-all.
Most can’t read basketball like chess when it comes to strategy and players’ tendencies. 90% of Lebron’s game is facing you face to face and trying his hardest to get that first step on you to blow past you. This literally is pretty much what you get from Lebron. If you can keep him in front of you and if you are close to his height to affect his shot then Lebron is beat (problem is this is almost impossible because of his speed and strength) and taken out of his game. Lebron has a jumpshot, and I’ve seen it enough to know it is deadly, but it is relied on by his ability to slash. If he can't slash then his jumpshot somehow is off. Really, look at Lebron's game. All he's doing is pulling straight up for a J or running past a player in a straight line as fast as he can. This is 90% of his offensive game. We've been seeing that done in the NBA for years.

Kobe was unstoppable because he has a myriad of moves like a rolodex that he could and would use based on your defense. Lebron pretty much does the same thing. Lebron runs past you as fast as he can and uses his shoulders. Lebron pulls up for a jump shot if he has space. Lebron puts his back to you and sometimes (every now and then) will attempt a turn around fadeaway. That’s the end of Lebron’s offense.

Lebron might end up getting more rings than Kobe and being overall greater in stats, but Kobe was ill and if you didn’t see him when he was doing that stuff then it’s hard to explain. I’d say the difference between Kobe and Lebron is like Shaquille versus Olajuwon or Tyson to Ali. In my opinion Olajuwon was more knowledgeable and more skilled but Shaquille more dominant due to size. In Lebron’s favor he has far more skill and the disparity is much tighter with Kobe than the comparison of Shaq versus Olajuwon but still he ain’t equal to Kobe’s skill. In fact I think Dwyane Wade is more skilled than Lebron and Chris Paul.
I’d still pick Lebron on my team over all of them, but I had to make a point that I think Kobe as an individual talent and trade/skill is better than Lebron and probably forever will be. I just have to repeat that 90% of Lebron’s game is facing you up and trying to get the first step to blow past you. He has skills, there’s no denying he has skills, he just isn’t on the level of the Kobe with his skills (and I defined skills as dribbling, spinning, etcetera). For me to say that he is would be a lie and an insult. It’d be like me saying Kobe is better than Lebron at getting his team involved by passing them the ball and willingly trying to set his teammates up.
I know they play two different positions one is a true SG sometimes S/F and the other a true SF sometimes PF. That’s not the point being made. Anyways, I'm enjoying watching Lebron's greatness and it does hurt to see Kobe descend. Oh, well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpuswrs-Svg

Comments

• rico_ENS
    rico_ENS Members Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭
    stat wise lebron gonna be the best ever and to be fair his basketball iq is better than kobes and plays better team defense whereas kobe is better on-ball defense and skill wise not even close....

i miss that ? mamba bruh, league aint een the same without that ? takin his 'you can't guard me shots', n u think he wouldve passed up the shot lebron had last nite? nah bruh not even double teamed...

• zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kobe is a better FT shooter.....
    As skip would say...bron passed up the shot last night...was afraid of getting fouled and having to nail 2 FTs......

I am tired of bosh taking the last shot....if its not lebron...ride or die with wade
  • luke1733
    edited May 2014
    e650 wrote: »
    this sounds like a kobe dickriding thread
    Yo, whatever man. What's crazy is how you the first one to post on my thread yet say what ESPN talks about is wack.Somebody else probably going to write feelings. I did give too many props to Kobe for him to be another man. I admit fault on that. I did have a point though, and I gave analysis I ain't hearing on tv about what it is to be a skilled player. Typically Big guys in the NBA don't come close to touching the skills of smaller ballers. You'll never see on the average a Hibbert dribbling and contorting his body like a Tony Parker. Main point I'm on was on skills. No more credit to Kobe, but these Miami slash Lebron riders are annoying too and I had to point out that the kid Lebron ain't really special when it comes to the skills category. We mainly looking at Magic Johnson's extreme height advantage as a PG of yesterday paralleled in Lebron to body size, muscle and height with other players in his position today along with the physical capability-- to athletically move like a Vince Carter (although Lebron has more skills than Vince). Skills to me were like Olajuwon, Tony Parker, Gary Payton, Dr.J. Westbrook is basically like a good comparison in skills to Lebron. All he does is use his first step and a jump shot. His offensive arsenal of how to get a shot off seems nothing special to other players I've seen in the NBA today or yesterday. I'd basically say Westbrook and Lebron are identical minus the height,again and for the last time--(since I ain't gonna hog my own thread--which means I ain't gonna respond to every comment made on here)LBJ excels at willingly getting the team involved and wanting others to succeed genuinely.
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    luke1733 wrote: »
    Kobe shoots better than Lebron

oh?
  • zerocool
    Let me break it down so we can end thread...kobe has the jordan killer instinct. ...LeBron has the magic johnson killer instinct. .....LeBron has grown to develop the jordan killer instinct. ....but he will always have the magic in his game....
  • zerocool
    Parallel wrote: »
    zerocool wrote: »
    Let me break it down so we can end thread...kobe has the jordan killer instinct. ...LeBron has the magic johnson killer instinct. .....LeBron has grown to develop the jordan killer instinct. ....but he will always have the magic in his game....

Awesome post. Thread will definitely be ended now. Thanks for this.

Your welcome sir
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know what...this is actually a pretty perplexing question.

Scoring skill obviously = Kobe, but skills as in fundamentals of the game-passing, defense, bball IQ, etc i'd go with Lebron.

s/n...Annnnd this is why Mike is the Goat as if we needed any other confirmation. He was the perfect ngga synthesis of both scoring skill and all around skill.
  • S2J
    Kinda related: even though elite players are usually ? coaches, i can see Lebron coaching one day. He knows the game even minus athleticism. Just maybe not shooting as much.
  • zerocool
    S2J wrote: »
    Kinda related: even though elite players are usually ? coaches, i can see Lebron coaching one day. He knows the game even minus athleticism. Just maybe not shooting as much.

Coaching. .. .? Bron is gonna OWN a team.....this ? talking about coaching.....smh
  • S2J
    zerocool wrote: »

Coaching. .. .? Bron is gonna OWN a team.....this ? talking about coaching.....smh

Of course he will. But he's not gonna go from playing to corporate overnight.

For 1, you have to wait for a team to even be available to buy it. And Lebron James is not buying the Milwaukee Bucks or Utah Jazz. Even Jordan had to wait years for the right opportunity in Charlotte and Bron money aint long as Mike's and it wont ever be, even 20 yrs later w/ inflation and higher salaries.

2) The love of the game is what makes dudes want to coach. Its the closest thing to the competitive rush. and the innate need to teach, which PGs instinctively have. Hence most former player coaches are PGs. Lebron's mind-set is a PG.

So i can see it happen, didnt say it WILL happen, but he'd be a knowledgable coach and i could see him with the desire to do so, unlike others who CLEARLY would never be coaches i.e. Kobe, Dwight Howard lol, etc.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kobe is a better shooter and ball handler than Bron. That's where it ends.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ima go with the player that average more

Assist
    Steals
    Blocks
    FG%
    3pt%

In the regular season and playoffs.

So ima have to go with

LeBron James

? these so called skills. Dude gets the job done.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ppl say he's shoots better the LBJ.

Them shooting numbers don't lie.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In terms of every aspect, Lebron might be the best all around player in NBA history. Driving, passing, rebounding, defense, etc.

If he wins at least 2 more rings, I dont see how anybody's not gonna be able to at least argue him being up there with MJ.
  • luke1733
    You know what...this is actually a pretty perplexing question.
    Thanks. I see more action on this than some other threads; yet some are hating/whining to take a sports observation down. Seems like we have an overwhelming number of Heat fans and they pretty hot at anyone daring to analyze or critique the King's game.
    It's a relevant sports question, I thought. People always wanna mention who's better, but let's talk about different aspects of a player. I think saying Lebron is great goes without saying; the same as Kobe. Maybe if I would have mentioned Lebron and Durant then people wouldn't be threatening the thread
    Scoring skill obviously = Kobe, but skills as in fundamentals of the game-passing, defense, bball IQ, etc i'd go with Lebron.

s/n...Annnnd this is why Mike is the Goat as if we needed any other confirmation. He was the perfect ngga synthesis of both scoring skill and all around skill.

• aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only thing Kobe does better than Bron is shoot jumpers and free throws. Bron is a better facilitator/passer rebounder
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ehh I refuse to debate.

Seem like people all have their idea of what skill is.

Lebron being physically opposing isn't a skill.

His consistency is what makes him great though. The fact that he will give you damn near 30 6 and 6 every night on 50%+ is astounding.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • e650
    e650 Members Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Only thing Kobe does better than Bron is shoot jumpers and free throws. Bron is a better facilitator/passer rebounder

Ill give Kobe better man on man defense tho too. He has quicker feet on d, to lebrons credit for a ? his size he does a good job.

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    e650 wrote: »
    this sounds like a kobe dickriding thread
    You wanna blow in lebrons ear so bad

• blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Ppl say he's shoots better the LBJ.

Them shooting numbers don't lie.

Magic shot a higher FG% than Bird but it's clear as ? Bird is the better shooter same thing with Kobe and Lbj... Only thing lebron has on Kobe is Defense and only by a lil bit b/c he plays transition D better....
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    Ehh I refuse to debate.

Seem like people all have their idea of what skill is.

Lebron being physically opposing isn't a skill.

His consistency is what makes him great though. The fact that he will give you damn near 30 6 and 6 every night on 50%+ is astounding.
    This

He's the only dude who can put up a 30 pt triple double and nobody notices. ? comes effortlessly to him.
This discussion has been closed.