What kinda Rap Music will u raise your kids on?

Options
MoneyLuver
MoneyLuver Members Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in The Reason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9mlvF2hPCs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

First of all this a classic, my man Face laid down a vicious 16 and Eiht did his thing.

But the video doe. ? went perfect for the song. The editor gets much props on this 1

But it got me pondering a troll. See, I'm all about authenticity no matter what, even if it quote-unquote doesn't sound pretty. I like to get to the bone marrow of the ? and won't settle for less.

Since some ? all of a sudden wanna act like they ain't down with them being them no more becuz some new New York ? did an interview and called ? weirdos. I wanna test this "new found" perspective on life. I wanna see how tru they really are to their word. Lets see em be too cool for school - double entendre

Now if the Thread backfires its all good. To me it'll prove that The IC is a Twilight Zone and even some of the ? sayin its a Twilight Zone live in a Twilight Zone. And it'll prove that "keepin it 100" is really just a term used in the same way a 30 year old says "I'm grown". Meaning of course you're Grown at 30, but are you really "Grown"?

@Sion says he prefers that his kids grow up idolizing ? like in the above video and not dudes like them Emo Mid-Western ? (for lack of better words). He'd rather have them watch videos like "N 2 Deep" by CMW instead of "Day And Night" by Kid Cudi.

So my question is, who do u prefer your kids grow up idolizing besides Christ? Me personally, I say I'll play it by ear and see how they turn out a little bit on their own before I start to try to groom them. But what about You?

They'll be exposed to everything so ima just expose em to it all, ? it. That way i'll be able to have the last word becuz everything they'd want from Society they got in me and thensome + ill beat that ass if they get outta line. So best believe my son(s) will be spoonfed Mac Dre's "How I Got This Name" at a young age. No sysin it, just vibin wit it

But what about You? Would u rather prefer them admiring the Chance The Rapper ass ? or the Lil Bibby ass ? ?

Remember, you can't really have it both ways, they'll gravitate to one more than the other even if they're a fan of both. One demographic will definitely have more influence over the other. Its possible that if they're a fan of "Chance" they'll die as Suicidal Virgins. Its possible that if they're a fan of a "Lil Bibby" they'll die a Homicidal Nymphomaniac

Dorky_girl-e1283939183728.jpg

or

26afc27f5389b96266ef4d885552fbc8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPLEu2N58GU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Comments

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Will be tough for anyone considering the actual age of the person making the baby + the woman + the actual era the kid grows up in. I will do my best to put my child(if I ever have one) on to what HIP HOP(not just rap music) is all about.

I remember when I was in High School and at that time looking back at it now, imo It was Hip Hop at its prime as far as quality/mainstream(96-00). U can call my bias, thats fine. My pops is an old school Funk/Soul/RnB ? but ? with the whole Dre/Pac/Snoop ? so he never had a problem with me listening to what I did cause all I did was just enjoy the music and didnt incorporate anything that was going on in the music at home or anywhere else for that matter(at that time of course). When I see my younger siblings now( I got a brother thats 27, 18, 16 and a couple sisters younger than that LOL) thats when things get tricky. Thats their whole lifestyle since theyve known about music pretty much especially with me being around, at least for the older ones. My peeps are older meaning they not on their back like they were with me + social media + having MUCH older siblings already involved in the culture whether they like the music I listen to or not its still rap music and theyve all already been accustomed to this "lifestyle" so to speak.....

With that said I'd try my best to have them listen to good music but no telling when and how that goes until it comes considering all the circumstances.
  • MoneyLuver
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Sion I agree with you for the most part. You're wrong about Wale tho, and I ain't just sayin that becuz I'm from around the same place.

My only conflict is what road will they travel? If they idolize the 50 Cents, will they be more susceptible to violence and other feloneous activities? Verses them idolizing the OddFutures and having them want to expand their imagination and become something The World idolizes?

On one hand they learn Survival Tactics and on the other they learn Possibility
  • MoneyLuver
    Options
    I knew u had it in you @Stew.

But question, who do they emulate (your younger siblings)?
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ima raise my own damn kids
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Goat for mac dre tho
  • MoneyLuver
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »

They're not always going to do what you tell them to do and they won't always take your advice. Other people will have just as much influence as you and sometimes more at one point or another.

You gotta be smarter than "you". No funny ? but i don't even have children and i kno that. ? iz trill out here my ?
  • MoneyLuver
    Options
    Goat for mac dre tho

These bloggers ain't hip doe. They just kno Radio, TV, & Amazon Snippets
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    MoneyLuver wrote: »
    I knew u had it in you @Stew.

But question, who do they emulate (your younger siblings)?

My 27 y/o brother which is probably not the best thing that couldve happen to them unfortunately considering our family situation. I moved out when he first got into HS and I was only able to do so much to him but he always listens to me nowadays when I have something to say about anything lol. As far as music goes, Im not really sure what the youngins are into like that cause I dont get to see them too often. Almost sure they're radio freaks like most High Schoolers are. I dont have the typical family tho. My peeps are oooold to have kids in High School lol
  • MoneyLuver
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Tru. But I have to say High Schoolers aren't really into Radio. Unless you're talking about the Artists that have the songs on the Radio/TV

When I was coming home from work tonight, Parliament's "Knee Deep" came on. That song still gives me the chillz til this day. I say that to say the age old cliche "age ain't nothin but a number"

This might be a clip from a movie but its so real: its only 1 minute long btw,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmS8EijNWeU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol, raising kids. ? i'm black.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    99 jams will raise those hoodlums.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wtf is happening in here? Lol
  • Noble Al Lee
    Noble Al Lee Members Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Generally I try to keep it positive/lighthearted and as swear-free as possible. I like old slick rick jams and redman tracks, the funnier ones. Alot of lupe, tribe & de la.

But I had her in the car and 2 chainz "A-rod" came on. The melody of how he sang the hook was on some pied piper ? tho becuz now she randomly be saying "wocking to the park like ay yah. Sosin to the park like ay yah..."
  • Lincoln
    Lincoln Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    You'd rather let your kids idolize to Kid Cudi, Whale, Drake, Danny Brown over the above ?

• KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I tell you what I WON'T raise my kids on.. Lil Wayne & Birdman..

My son try kiss my mouth, I'ma slap that kid upside is head
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

• Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No Wale or Cudi will be played around any children of mine. If I have a daughter she can bump Drake if I have a son it will have to be in moderation
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Public Enemy
    Wu Tang
    Phonte
    MF Doom
    Nas
    Some Jay

...select songs and radio edits
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I took my 5 year old daughter to see the Cold Crush brothers live at Crotona Park in The Bronx. And on another occasion I took her to see the Zulu Nation Anniversary in Harlem.

But now that she's a teenager her favorite rapper is Nicki Minaj.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just because kids listen to a rapper don't mean they gonna do what the artist is rapping about. Like you can't say if a kid listens to Danny Brown or kid cudi he gonna most likely be a weird druggie.

Ima put my kids on to all kinds of music though. Ima save my iPod and in 13 years when kids gonna be like what's a iPod? Ima pull that ? out and have them listening to the music of today and the last yrs or so
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    On this issue I'd pull a kanye and say rap would have no place in my home.
    ? rap.
    When them lil muhfuckas get of age, just like I did with my lil bro, I'll put em on some ole school public enemy type ? and let em know the classics if they're interested.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just like parents used to do with Jazz, soul, etc... you teach your kids about the entire history of the art form.... music is timeless (real music). a lot of old school is ok for kids to hear... as they mature, introduce them to newer stuff...
    I will never endorse the limp wrested self destructive ? ever.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my 3 oldest kids are 20, 17, and 16...my fav rapper is jay z and my wife's fav is nas so they heard a lot of jay and nas growing up. she is more into conscious hip hop than i am so she played a lot of krs, public enemy...she big on the roots too. i listen to the drug rap. we both like the 80s rap and her collection ? on mine lol.

didnt make a difference though cuz as a teenager my daughter was crazy about the new boyz and my son is heavy into lil b...smh. we dont judge them...long as they have fun with the music it is what it is.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    my kids will listen to whatever they want , i aint part of their generation and wont force ? on them.

just good values

this, bolded is more important than forcing or barring music on kids based on wat kinda dudes they are outside of music, some of yall puttin more emphasis on image and fashion than how the music may actually sound to the kid
  • MoneyLuver
    Options
    my kids will listen to whatever they want , i aint part of their generation and wont force ? on them.

just good values

this, bolded is more important than forcing or barring music on kids based on wat kinda dudes they are outside of music, some of yall puttin more emphasis on image and fashion than how the music may actually sound to the kid

But popularity is influential. We can't pretend that Hip Hop doesn't leave an impression on an individual. That's ignorant if u do