House Votes To End DEA Raids On Legal Medical Marijuana Operations

Options
Swiffness!
Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
WASHINGTON — The House passed an amendment late Thursday night to restrict the Drug Enforcement Administration from targeting medical marijuana operations in states where it is legal.

The 219-189 decision came on a bipartisan appropriations amendment spearheaded by California Republican Rep. Dana Rohrabacher and California Democrat Sam Farr. The amendment still faces several procedural hurdles before it is ratified, but this is the first time such an amendment has succeeded in the House.

The vote is an encouraging one for marijuana advocates, who say it shows the congressional pendulum is finally tilting in their favor.

“The significance of it is a symbolic importance,” said Dan Riffle, director of federal policies at the Marijuana Policy Project. “We are nearing a point now where the United States Congress is essentially ready to end marijuana prohibition.”

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jacobfischler/house-votes-to-end-dea-raids-on-legal-medical-marijuana-oper

“We saw ‘? Madness’ in the thirties, and it has come back to Congress here 80-some-odd years later,” Tennessee Democratic Rep. Steve Cohen said.

“Marijuana does not make people commit crime. It makes them overeat,” he added.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    About ? time!!!! I hope no one from the Obama administration tries to fight or veto this.....America is finally coming to its senses on medical marijuana. I'm more amazed many Republicans supported this, while Obama hasn't
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    We also gotta hope the Senate doesn't fight this either
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    “Marijuana does not make people commit crime. It makes them overeat,” he added.
    and this ? was said by a damn republican...
    some of these southern states saw that 10's of millions in 3 months and said "well maybe we were wrong about this whole weed thing."
    wait it sounds like a Democrat said that
    but really, decriminalization has been a bipartisan thing (to some extent) for a minute now, so we might actually see some progress on this front

• soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @kingblaze84..again you managed to bring President Obama into a discussion that has nothing to do with him...smh did that ? ? your sister on the first night and then dump her for Michelle back in the day?
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @kingblaze84..again you managed to bring President Obama into a discussion that has nothing to do with him...smh did that ? ? your sister on the first night and then dump her for Michelle back in the day?

Obama has a lot to do with this actually because Obama has failed to be an ally on the issue of medical marijuana, instead he's been one of the ? . Obama, being the ? made ? he is, has led a govt that has prosecuted more medical marijuana users than any other president in history. Obama can campaign hard and fight hard for ? rights but can't fight for the right of people to use medical marijuana? People with cancer have been locked up by the feds for using medical marijuana, and businesses have been shut down by the thousands because Obama's ? made ass has done NOTHING to help end the war on medical marijuana. I have facts and links on my side, so yeah, ? OBAMA. Even some Republicans are willing to fight to end the war on medical marijuana users and medical marijuana users.

By the way I don't have a sister lol
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    @soulbrother‌

This one's for you

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/01/20/1271081/-Obama-s-Big-Fat-Lies-About-Medical-Marijuana#

Obama's Big Fat Lies About Medical Marijuana

Back when he was running for president in 2008, Barack Obama insisted that medical marijuana was an issue best left to state and local governments. "I'm not going to be using Justice Department resources to try to circumvent state laws on this issue," he vowed, promising an end to the Bush administration's high-profile raids on providers of medical ? , which is legal in 16 states and the District of Columbia.
    But over the past year, the Obama administration has quietly unleashed a multi­agency crackdown on medical cannabis that goes far beyond anything undertaken by George W. Bush.

--Under the Controlled Substance Act, the president has the right to classify marijuana as something that doesn't have to be an arrestable offense. He also has the power to pardon people locked up for medical marijuana growth or use. Obama the COWARD and ? has done neither. ? that ? .
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @soulbrother‌

This one's for you

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/01/20/1271081/-Obama-s-Big-Fat-Lies-About-Medical-Marijuana#

Back when he was running for president in 2008, Barack Obama insisted that medical marijuana was an issue best left to state and local governments. "I'm not going to be using Justice Department resources to try to circumvent state laws on this issue," he vowed, promising an end to the Bush administration's high-profile raids on providers of medical ? , which is legal in 16 states and the District of Columbia.
    But over the past year, the Obama administration has quietly unleashed a multi­agency crackdown on medical cannabis that goes far beyond anything undertaken by George W. Bush.

--Under the Controlled Substance Act, the president has the right to classify marijuana as something that doesn't have to be an arrestable offense. He also has the power to pardon people locked up for medical marijuana growth or use. Obama the COWARD and ? has done neither. ? that ? .

You keep mentioning the Obama Administration but is it President Obama actually the one cracking down on medical marijuana as you claim. I follow politics daily and have yet to see or hear the president speak about using a heavy hand on marijuana.
  • Ockham's Hammer
    Ockham's Hammer Members Posts: 11
    Options
    But if it is approved during his presidency, medical and/or recreational he and his administration will get the cred. No hate towards the man "as a man", however he and his have no claims to cannabis law reformation.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    @soulbrother‌

This one's for you

You keep mentioning the Obama Administration but is it President Obama actually the one cracking down on medical marijuana as you claim. I follow politics daily and have yet to see or hear the president speak about using a heavy hand on marijuana.

Obama is standing in the way of progress on a very important issue for many Americans. Obama under the Controlled Substance Act has the power to declassify marijuana as a Schedule One drug and change it to a schedule that means no more arrests may be made. Instead, he's left it alone and has refused to pardon business owners who grow medical marijuana who have been locked up and many medical marijuana users as well. As a result, as many DEMOCRATS and Republicans have noted, Obama is standing in the way of progress. If he doesn't want to declassify marijuana, then he deserves all the criticism he gets on this issue. One is either a roadblock to success or gets out the way, he's chosen to be the roadblock.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    But if it is approved during his presidency, medical and/or recreational he and his administration will get the cred. No hate towards the man "as a man", however he and his have no claims to cannabis law reformation.

Yeah I don't hate Obama but I hate his stance on this issue. It's like he's forgotten everything he said while running for president in 2008.
  • UnderMiSensi
    UnderMiSensi Members Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    This is the greatest news I ever heard.......I'm so glad that I live in Cali.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They don't need to Raid anymore now that the NSA is in place. they'll just walk up and knock. dumb ? think they just got a victory over the white man. ? .
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2014
    Options
    twatgetta wrote: »
    They don't need to Raid anymore now that the NSA is in place. they'll just walk up and knock. dumb ? think they just got a victory over the white man. ? .

To be fair, NSA would still need a warrant to search anywhere, so what the House did is a small step in the right direction. Nothing close to a victory but if the Senate signs off and Obama somehow agrees to this, a positive step will be made. No more raids on cancer patients who need the care and the businesses that supply them is great progress, this issue hits home with me because my ex had cancer and marijuana saved her life (so she says). I was there when she quit chemo and I do believe her smoking marijuana is the reason she's alive today.