Will Smith Drops Out Of Another Film

Options
2»

Comments

• Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    He's not even going to be in the next Independence Day.

The ? is going on?

like you really wanted to see that lol
    00713 wrote: »
    jay83 wrote: »
    Will Smith as a true villain? When is that going to happen?

Never.

Eventually. Just waiting for the right script & film imho.

(Face Off 2 with him and Denzel? lol)
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    After Earth got him shook. He don't know how to handle flopping. It'd never happened before.

Wild Wild West?

turning down the matrix for wild wild west would be one. lol

Nah, as terrible as it was, WWW still grossed $220 million.

Wrong choice, but can't call it a flop.

The budget for WWW was huge tho. The movie barely made back any profit if any. It was sort of a flop.
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    After Earth got him shook. He don't know how to handle flopping. It'd never happened before.

Wild Wild West?

The budget for WWW was huge tho. The movie barely made back any profit if any. It was sort of a flop.

170 million to make

it made 130 million domestic

got up to 220 when it went worldwide .

thank the asians. lol

• cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »
    Unfortunately, his collaborators on these films are the likes of DJ Caruso (Disturbia), Akiva Goldsman (Winter's Tale) and Shawn Levy (Night At The Museum). Are these the type of guys you want handling your return to A-List acting? Nobody would have noticed Smith's dodgy taste in directors if he hadn't turned down Django Unchained awhile back. Now, Smith's gotta f!ght his way back to center stage. It seemed like Brilliance would be the movie to do that, but it looks like it'll have to be something else.

Avika Goldsman worked with Will on "I, Robot" "Hancock" and "I am Legend" (as either a producer or screenwriter).

I still don't get why people are ? he passed on working with Tarantino? Do some of them want to see him "humbled" that bad?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    Lets get bad boys 3

After 10+ years idk if I want to see bad boys 3 anymore
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wild Wild West?

170 million to make

thank the asians. lol

That's not how it works. At most they get up to 60% of that money back to cover production costs. Movie didn't even make back the production budget for the studio because the studio only gets a bit more than half of the box office domestically & almost all of the opening weekend cash which is why it's such an important number and even less internationally.

There are factors that could offset this (home video and TV rights [and in today's age streaming rights]) for the studios just like theaters have snacks and arcades to do the same for their business but those weren't that great for WWW either so in the end it probably broke even at worse with the production budget. Won't even get into the marketing budget. No if, ands, or maybes about it that was a flop.

For the record the following Will Smith movies greatly under performed or down right flopped financially (lost their studio money)

Wild, Wild, West
    Ali
    After Earth
    Seven Pounds
    The Legend of Bagger Vance
    Bad Boys II (believe it or not, which is why 3 didn't just happen right after but TV and home video put it in the black over the years)

It happens to everybody. Can't name one movie star today who doesn't have flops on their resume. I'm not even a Will Smith fan but he'll be ok. I personally always felt he could use a better agent.

• jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

Wild Wild West?

170 million to make

thank the asians. lol

That's not how it works. At most they get up to 60% of that money back to cover production costs. Movie didn't even make back the production budget for the studio because the studio only gets a bit more than half of the box office domestically & almost all of the opening weekend cash which is why it's such an important number and even less internationally.

There are factors that could offset this (home video and TV rights [and in today's age streaming rights]) for the studios just like theaters have snacks and arcades to do the same for their business but those weren't that great for WWW either so in the end it probably broke even at worse with the production budget. Won't even get into the marketing budget. No if, ands, or maybes about it that was a flop.

For the record the following Will Smith movies greatly under performed or down right flopped financially (lost their studio money)

Wild, Wild, West
    Ali
    After Earth
    Seven Pounds
    The Legend of Bagger Vance
    Bad Boys II (believe it or not, which is why 3 didn't just happen right after but TV and home video put it in the black over the years)

It happens to everybody. Can't name one movie star today who doesn't have flops on their resume. I'm not even a Will Smith fan but he'll be ok. I personally always felt he could use a better agent.

No I was agreeing with you. It was def a flop. I didnt word my post correctly. lol.

I remembering reading about all the marketing dollars they put into that movie.

• PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wild Wild West?

170 million to make

thank the asians. lol

That doesnt count all the marketing that went into it, which there was plenty.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He sitting tight for a couple more years waiting to do that Obama biopic
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's unfortunate, some of his best movies tend to be sci fi movies.
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i remember hearin that badboy 3 was suppose to come in 2015 not sure if they are still going to do it or not