Lance Stephenson

S2J
S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
I think his situation is unique and polarizing enough for his own thread

Thoughts? Best teams to go to...his potential...Overrated, underrated?

Comments

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This article from RealGm prompted me to make the thread

Long read, but sums up what a lot of us been sayin
    Still only 23 years old, Stephenson has turned himself into one of the most well-rounded shooting guards in the NBA. At 6'5 230 with a 6'10 wingspan, he's an elite athlete who can match up with all three perimeter positions. He can create his own shot off the dribble, stretch the floor out to the three-point line, create shots for his teammates and clean the glass at a high level. He averaged 14 points, 7 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1 steal a game on 45% shooting in this year's playoffs.

The only thing holding him back from stardom is opportunity. In the regular season, he took only 11 shots a game and had a usage rating of 19.4, which was tied for third highest in the starting line-up with Roy Hibbert. Paul George and David West were the first two options in Indiana - Lance never really got to show what he could do in their system. It's simple math. What's going to happen when a guy who shoots 49% from the field at 11 shots gets 15-17?

Even if his field goal percentage went down with more responsibility, it would have to crater for him not to be at 20+ points a game as a primary option. George took 17 shots a game while shooting 42% from the field and people said Lance was the selfish player. The reality was that he was the far better decision-maker and playmaker of the two - he lead the Pacers in assists and had an assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.7, with George lagging far behind at 1.25.

Those are the things you have to look at when projecting a younger player into a bigger role. Two years ago, James Harden averaged 16 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists a game on 43% shooting in the playoffs for the Oklahoma City Thunder. Just like Stephenson, Harden excelled in the role he was forced to play on the team that drafted him, but he was ready for a much bigger role. Don't mistake opportunity for talent, especially not with a 23-year-old.[/b]

That's what makes Stephenson such a fascinating player this summer - he's an elite talent who is an unrestricted free agent at 23. Because he was a second-round pick, he doesn't have the same type of restrictions on his contract as guys like Gordon Hayward, Greg Monroe and Eric Bledsoe. To get one of those guys this off-season, a team would have to give up a king's ransom in assets. The only thing Stephenson is going to cost you is money.

http://m.basketball.realgm.com/article/233636/why-lance-stephenson-will-be-worth-every-penny
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just posted in the NBA draft thread that Charlotte should look to move up a few spots or even one spot to land Aaron Gordon, it will take the 9th and Gilchrist for that to happen but after that sign Stephenson which I think a few people have already said would be the best fit

Al
    Gordon
    ?
    Lance
    Kemba

they could start Lance and Henderson, id try to find a decent veteran to fill the 3 and bring Henderson off the bench
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some one here brought up Chicago, I think its a great fit.
    Thibs is a disciplinarian, yet he dosent suck the personality out of his black players.
    Lance would fit well with Noah. Both are from NYC, both guys Play with heart, and effort. Lance would have a larger offensive role, and Bulls need a dynamic offense player who can co-exist with a healthy d.rose.
    Lance Rose Taj Butler and Noah
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two names that would be a nice fit at the 3 for Charlotte with Lance would be Deng once he realizes hes not getting 14 mil a year again, if they could get him at 8-10 a year that would be a decent move or Ariza, not sure Washington is going to be able to resign him and he earned a little bit more this playoffs

Al
    Gordon
    Deng/Ariza
    Lance
    Kemba
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think he overrated as of right now, plays with plenty of heart and thats why ? like him, he just is a bonehead at times imo. but he's solid i think he'll be cool in atlanta, with horford teague and korver, he can be a key contributor but doesnt have to be THE guy, which is something i dont see in dude. maybe hornets would work if they traded mkg and got a shooter in there
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He has heart.
    He has talent.
    He has the I.Q. of Roy Hibbert's playoff scoring average.

With that said. He is still young. Immaturity is part of the growth process. How he responds to this playoffs performance (good & bad) this off season is on him. He can learn from his mistakes and improve on his play or slide further down the road of fuckery. Only with a lot more money in his pockets. Now as far as where he should go. Indy would be a fool to let him go IMO. That team has no heart. If Evan Turner is his replacement than they are in for a rude awakening. The Hornets are a good look IMO. They need a person that can create their own shot and Lance can play defense which the Hornets do. I am mad at myself for typing all these words about Lance ? Stephenson tho.
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lance and PG can't coexist in indy.....I keep saying ATL would be a great team for dude
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    He's overrated. Whoever overpays for Lance will regret in 2 seasons. As for what teams he'd fit in with I say Hawks or Grizzlies.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5th Letter wrote: »
    He's overrated. Whoever overpays for Lance will regret in 2 seasons. As for what teams he'd fit in with I say Hawks or Grizzlies.

Forgot about Memphis. That would be a good look.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Lance to work in the A (or anywhere else) he has to do 2 things.

1. Cut all the ? antics out

2. Learn how to still be effective without the ball in his hands

He fixes those and he could be a problem. I wouldn't mind Lance down here as long as he understands he's a piece and not the piece to the puzzle
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say he primed to be a star. The kid defends, creates, scores, and has major heart.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't really want this ? on the bulls but I understand what he brings to the table.If he was signed to a decent contract then I'd have no problem with him at the 2 cuz thibs and noah would keep him in check.I prefer Gordon Hayward over lance and these scenarios are only if the bulls don't get melo.I think he'd be a good look on the Hornets if they don't draft a sg with their lottery pick
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bulls or hornets
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He should go to Sacramento or Minnesota after Love leaves, so his career can die the slow, irrelevant death it deserves. Or maybe, if they get an Expansion Franchise in Junea, Alaska, he can be their #3 scoring option behind Carlos ? and Trajan Langdon.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    grew up playing with kids like him. hated them all
  • zerocool
    Off-court troubles<collapse-section>

In January 2008, Stephenson was suspended from school for five days and missed two games following an altercation with a teammate.[29] 
    In October that year, he was arrested for groping a 17-year-old inside the school.[30] He faced a Class B misdemeanor sexual assault charge, and his parents ended the "Born Ready" reality show following the arrest.[2]On August 15, 2010, Stephenson was arrested for third-degree assault after allegedly pushing his girlfriend down a flight of stairs.[31] The case was eventually dismissed.[32]

That's a wild boi.....

• fightforolddc
    fightforolddc Members Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol at "elite athlete." Dude got zero bounce.

And I like him as a role player but he gon disappoint the ? outta someone that pay him. I could see him on a team without great structure becoming a complete ? .
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say he primed to be a star. The kid defends, creates, scores, and has major heart.

Dude reminds me of Toronto Tracy, right before He became Tmac.
    Lance is gonna be a superstar.
    The only things that's stopping him, is Lance.
    If He goes to a head strong coach like a Thibs, or to Charlotte With a Jordan. Then tHe stars is gonna be the Limit for Brooklyn.
  • fightforolddc
    fightforolddc Members Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y'all gassing him up. He's decent and I don't see star quality
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's basically Tyreke Evans to me. Great size, strong handle, can create in isolations, good defenders but ball-dominant as hell and can stagnate an offense. Only difference is Lance is just more enigmatic.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yall ? sayin he can be a superstar, booooyyy i wish i could see what yall see. ? ion even think bruh nice as tyreke evans tbh
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • zerocool
    He's just 23......he may learn or he may be one of those players who never learn