If Tim Duncan wins his 5th championship, is he the greatest player in the post-Jordan era?

Options
Billy_Poncho
Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
Lot of people already have him as the greatest PF ever, and right now he's right up there with Kobe and Shaq as the best player in the post-2000's. A ring here would tie him with Kobe, and he already has more Final's MVPs. He's tied with Shaq for Final's MVPs, and he has more MVP's than both of them.

Duncan's credentials

2x MVP

3x Final's MVP

14x All-Star

10x All NBA 1st-team

3x All NBA 2nd-team

1 All NBA 3rd-team

8x All Defensive 1st-team

6x All Defensive 2nd-team

Rookie of the Year

Comments

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes.

Right now its a tie between him and Duncan.
  • gman82
    gman82 Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Duncan is already the greatest player since Jordan IMO. If he wins I think he will be a lock for top 5 all time. It's amazing how long he's been playing at such a high level.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah. Shaq is better
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Duncan gets overlooked because hes not a flashy ? or super aggressive on the court, but that dude hoops. I got Shaq as the greatest center ever so idk if I'd give Duncan the greatest since MJ retired, but I couldn't be mad at anyone that took that position. Duncan's ill
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    GOAT Power Forward, by a mile.

Umpteen time All-Star...before All-Star nods were cheapened by fan voting.

Multiple Regular season MVPs - neither of which Shaq OR Kobe can say they have.

Right now: It you really wanna stretch this debate, I could have Timmmaaay, Shaq, and The Bean ranked as 5A, 5B, & 5C as far as Top 10 of NBA all-time.

If the Spurs get their 5th chip under him, he claims the #4 spot for himself, moving Larry Legend into #5 by himself, and pushing Shaq and Kobe back to 6A/6B.
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Put duncan and spurs in NY....Chi...Philly....Boston.......? will be calling duncan success on a GOAT status level....and the spurs will be legendary....I have come to appreciate spurs....sure...they never won all the rings but they were always in contention since 1999
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If im not mistaken the spurs have not had a losing season since tim duncan was drafted by them.For a team with no superstars thats amazing.Duncan 17 years as a pro outside of the 98-99 lock-out season the spurs have won 50+ games....gotdamn
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the only blemish was his stint in the Olympics though I blame that more on AI
  • Billy_Poncho
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »

I don't blame any player, that team was poorly constructed altogether.
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T.Taylor wrote: »
    If im not mistaken the spurs have not had a losing season since tim duncan was drafted by them.For a team with no superstars thats amazing.Duncan 17 years as a pro outside of the 98-99 lock-out season the spurs have won 50+ games....gotdamn

A team with no superstar?? You might wanna look up those Spurs rosters from 99-present
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »

I don't blame any player, that team was poorly constructed altogether.

2004 olympics was ? ...
    AI....young bron...melo...wade...that team only practiced for 2 weeks when they went to greece....thw world had caught up by then
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Umm...Duncan was a super star about the first 10 years of his career
  • Billy_Poncho
    Options

Think he means besides Duncan, which is true outside of David Robinson
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You could make a good argument, but I don't think Duncan is a better standalone player than Kobe. The Spurs have always been in contention, but that's because it's a well constructed team. It's sort of like that Detroit team that won the championship. Billups got the MVP, but the other Starters were basically just as important. Same with Duncan. He gets a lot of the credit and deservedly so, but Parker and Ginobili are just as responsible for the team's success. In some cases, even moreso being that Duncan is put on ice a little more frequently due to the fact that he's older.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope, he'd be the modern day Kareem.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    Options

Tony has been a borderline superstar in recent years.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i don't think any center or power forward will ever be considered the greatest player of anything, especially not by our generation But he'll probably be considered the greatest big man nh in the modern era
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options

Thank you.... da ? @borderline superstar either you is or you're not. For the most part of duncan career he's been that ? for the spurs when they started winning the rings then more people realize how good of players ginobili and parker were but before then no one was really checking for them like that..now you look at what they've accomplished over the years and you can put them on that level.
  • MD_PROPER
    MD_PROPER Members Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unequivocally, yes.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    i never was a duncan fan at all, but lookin at how he was almost lookin like he needed to retire a couple years ago, to the next season lookin like he found the fountain of youth, and helping lead the team to the finals 2 years in a row, not to mention the overall consistency. i think if he wins this ring i may end up leaning toward duncan
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Parker been there since 01 Manu since 03 both will be in the HoF, let's not act like they were scrubs until 07 when Parker won Finals Mvp, ? even in 05 a lot ppl say Manu was robbed for Finals Mvp, which could be true b/c in the games Spurs won Manu was balling and Duncan shot 10-30 in game 7 but ? never forget Kobe's '10 game 7....

Basically when it's all over Duncan will have played with 3 hall of famers,a legendary coach and some of the best role players to ever play, Horry/Kerr/Bowen/Cpt Jack stop acting like Duncan had KG in Minnesota help
  • PanchoYoSancho
    Options

Thank you.... da ? @borderline superstar either you is or you're not. For the most part of duncan career he's been that ? for the spurs when they started winning the rings then more people realize how good of players ginobili and parker were but before then no one was really checking for them like that..now you look at what they've accomplished over the years and you can put them on that level.
    There's plenty of borderline superstars. ? aint black and white.

James Worthy
    Kevin McHale
    Alonzo Mourning
    Reggie Miller
    Penny Hardaway

were all borderline superstars. Some would consider Paul George a borderline superstar after this season (I wouldnt) or Lamarcus Aldridge or Steph Curry.

Tony's gone thru stretches in the last 5 years where he's looked like one of the best players in the game. He's gone thru stretches where he hasnt. He doesnt do it consistent enough as a shooter and defender to be considered a superstar IMO.