If Tim Duncan wins his 5th championship, is he the greatest player in the post-Jordan era?

Options

Comments

• Jonah 2.0
    Jonah 2.0 Members Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tim Duncan is top 5 all time now? Interesting.
  • FlightKing
    FlightKing Members Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jonah 2.0 wrote: »

Personal opinion bruh.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FlightKing wrote: »
    Kobe says T-Mac was right there with him..

off topic but i definitely agree with this, i caught the ? please treatment with the homies last time i said it tho lol
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kobe is my man but Duncan got him. Parker progressively got nice to the point that he's at now. Pop wanted George Hill over him at one point. Manu was tough but Bruce Bowen held them down a lot. Duncan transformed his game plenty of times over the years, playing PF and then Center and still holding it down. For those who say Shaq was better, there's plenty of clips where Shaq shows nuff respect to Tim.

Guards are supposed to have skills. Kobe ain't better than Mike, but he's close...but Kobe says T-Mac was right there with him. Duncan could've looked at KG for a while, until the calendar rolled to May. I won't say too much more. ? who watch the game and don't pay attention to numbers know - Tim Duncan is special, nh. Top 5 all-time, best player overall post-Jordan and Kobe still my favorite player.

Kobe isn't greater than Mike, but Kobe is more skilled. Skill is not synonymous with greatness, and being more accomplished or greater than someone doesn't necessarily mean you're better.

T-Mac is a standard case of, "had a spark when you started..." He didn't put in enough work or win at all or enough to be compared to the people we're talking about, although his prime years were impressive (only) from an individual standpoint.

Duncan's true talent from an all-time standpoint is his basketball IQ. He just always seems to be in the right place at the right time, and obviously this is done from a conscious state of mind. Nothing he does skill-wise is impressive (in comparison to other greats), and he's not as dynamic as a lot of the other HOFs.

The problem with a lot of Duncan praise is... move his position to Center and he arguably doesn't make the top 5 (Kareem, Russell, Wilt, Hakeem, Shaq). Nowadays, Duncan is facing weak competition. This is why he is still able to play at a good level. Objectively speaking, the lack of big men competition and the offensive sets and system Pop has implemented to maximize Duncan's production is the reason for his extended career.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ehh that's a bad argument.

Its not as if he gets to pick who he plays. They play whoever is in front of them.

If that is the case that's smart. If Pop is making adjustments to benefit his team its up to the opposing coach to offset that adjustment.

Shaq ain't have no comp whatsoever at center during his reign but you don't point that out in regards to how dominant he was.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Duncan benifited from being a center playing power foward. Even now he plays PF & Tiago be runnin center. But he is definitely great on both sides of the ball. He's more skilled than Shaq, but ? forget Shaq's numbers.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    Options
    In terms of his MVP's, he took one from J. Kidd & one from Kobe.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    Ehh that's a bad argument.

Its not as if he gets to pick who he plays. They play whoever is in front of them.

If that is the case that's smart. If Pop is making adjustments to benefit his team its up to the opposing coach to offset that adjustment.

Shaq ain't have no comp whatsoever at center during his reign but you don't point that out in regards to how dominant he was.

I'm referring to Duncan well past his prime, not his career in general. In Duncan's current veteran status, it's like he's getting preferential treatment in a way.

Most to all former superstar players in Duncan's position or players who are on the last leg of their careers, aren't made the focus of the offense or aren't given much consideration when drawing up offensive sets. They're asked to come off the bench and help mold younger players or given limited minutes or at the very least demoted to role player status. This isn't the case with Duncan.

Duncan is still a featured part of the offense due to his relationship with Pop and the genius of Pop in recognizing how weak the big men are of this current era.
  • FlightKing
    Options
    Kobe is my man but Duncan got him. Parker progressively got nice to the point that he's at now. Pop wanted George Hill over him at one point. Manu was tough but Bruce Bowen held them down a lot. Duncan transformed his game plenty of times over the years, playing PF and then Center and still holding it down. For those who say Shaq was better, there's plenty of clips where Shaq shows nuff respect to Tim.

Guards are supposed to have skills. Kobe ain't better than Mike, but he's close...but Kobe says T-Mac was right there with him. Duncan could've looked at KG for a while, until the calendar rolled to May. I won't say too much more. ? who watch the game and don't pay attention to numbers know - Tim Duncan is special, nh. Top 5 all-time, best player overall post-Jordan and Kobe still my favorite player.

Kobe isn't greater than Mike, but Kobe is more skilled. Skill is not synonymous with greatness, and being more accomplished or greater than someone doesn't necessarily mean you're better.

T-Mac is a standard case of, "had a spark when you started..." He didn't put in enough work or win at all or enough to be compared to the people we're talking about, although his prime years were impressive (only) from an individual standpoint.

Duncan's true talent from an all-time standpoint is his basketball IQ. He just always seems to be in the right place at the right time, and obviously this is done from a conscious state of mind. Nothing he does skill-wise is impressive (in comparison to other greats), and he's not as dynamic as a lot of the other HOFs.

The problem with a lot of Duncan praise is... move his position to Center and he arguably doesn't make the top 5 (Kareem, Russell, Wilt, Hakeem, Shaq). Nowadays, Duncan is facing weak competition. This is why he is still able to play at a good level. Objectively speaking, the lack of big men competition and the offensive sets and system Pop has implemented to maximize Duncan's production is the reason for his extended career.

Ok??? Mike is better than Kobe though.

...why you arguing every little point down? T-Mac was a beast when he wasn't hurt. When he was hurt, he wasn't a beast. All athletes are like that.

This Duncan ? is ? . Tim >>> Wilt. Wilt was just tall and dominated smaller players. Hakeem wasn't as dominate as Russell, Shaq, Duncan, Kareem for as long. It's hindsight 20/20. Duncan is a PF, not a center, so no need to move him to center to prove a point. Real deal, Duncan faced more competition than any of the big men you named.

Why you hate Tim, bruh???
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jonah 2.0 wrote: »

He has always been in top 5 for a while
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? ? would be top 5 ATG
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm a Spurs fan and I've watched Timmy play his whole career, but Im not sure if Id call him top 5. To me Jordan, Magic, Dream and Kareem are ahead of him. And I know many will disagree, not like I give a ? , but I feel Lebron has already surpassed him. Russell and Wilt played in an era I knew nothing about, so I cant rank them.

The thing that hurts Tim is a lot of other guys' peaks (Shaq, Dream, Wilt, Kobe) were higher than his peak. The thing that helps him is he has been consistently great over a long period of time while others at the same stages of their careers either were role players or not even in the NBA.

I don't see how anyone doesn't have him in their top 10 tho.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    Options
    Jordan
    Kareem
    Bird
    Shaq
    Hakeem
    Bron
    Kobe

Then Timmy.

And I hate his guts, but Old Man Riverwalk been gettin it in. He's top 10 certified. But he ain't top 5 in my opinion.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You ain't got no Magic?
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He already was in my opinion. My top 5 is who is the best ever at their position though.
  • TrillRussell
    TrillRussell Members Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Timmy D top 10..but top 5?nah..But if he gets the ring..he'll have A top 5 case..same with Lebron if he wins it..
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jordan
    Kareem
    Bird
    Shaq
    Hakeem
    Bron
    Kobe

Then Timmy.

And I hate his guts, but Old Man Riverwalk been gettin it in. He's top 10 certified. But he ain't top 5 in my opinion.

Lol @ having bird but no magic.....smh
    Lol @ shaq in front of timmy
    Fraud list
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zerocool wrote: »
    Jordan
    Kareem
    Bird
    Shaq
    Hakeem
    Bron
    Kobe

Then Timmy.

Fraud list

Look up Shaqs numbers and say he ain't better than Duncan... ? averaged 40 and 15 in the finals n ?
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think so, he already the GOAT power forward

I wonder how many times have the Spurs missed the playoffs since 99'?
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kobe and Shaq. You can even make an argument for Iverson
  • FlightKing
    Options
    blu197 wrote: »
    zerocool wrote: »
    Jordan
    Kareem
    Bird
    Shaq
    Hakeem
    Bron
    Kobe

Then Timmy.

Fraud list

Look up Shaqs numbers and say he ain't better than Duncan... ? averaged 40 and 15 in the finals n ?

I can average 40 and 15 against the bums he battled in those Finals.
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IM GOING WITH KOBE ON THIS ONE
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »

they havent if im not mistaken
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is clear though was there was no clear cut best player post Jordan and before Lebron came into his own.

It was a toss up between Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, Nash. Honorable mention AI and TMac.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »

they havent if im not mistaken

That's impressive. It's crazy because Duncan was the first player to win a championship post Michael Jordan era