White media caped for Larry Bird LLS

Options
fightforolddc
fightforolddc Members Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
A friend of mine put me onto a funny story about Larry Legend. Coincidentally media never held this against Larry, but imagine it were Magic/Jordan/Isiah that were involved in this same story? Heads would roll, homie would be labeled a thug and villified.

http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/2008/06/worst-of-celtics-lakers-part-8.html
Larry was already struggling with existing back and elbow injuries when he showed up to Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals with a heavily bandaged right index finger (this, by the way, was the same finger that had been mangled in a college softball game before Larry's rookie season). The injury hadn't occurred in a game and nobody within the Celtics organization would comment on it. And while the press sort of left it alone until after the playoffs, it became a three-ring media circus over the summer (well, in Boston, anyway). The story ran in both the Boston Herald and the Boston Globe. And here are as many of the facts as may ever be known (since Larry himself has chosen to never publicly discuss it):

On May 16, 1985 -- the off-day between Games 2 and 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals -- Larry, Quinn Buckner and Larry's friend Nick Harris went to a Boston bar named Chelsea's. At some point in the evening, Larry got into a fight with a man named Mike Harlow (who was a bartender from a nearby bar named Little Rascals and a former college football player) in an alley next to Chelsea's. During fight, Larry knocked Harlow the hell out and injured his right index finger.

Now, there are two versions of why the fight took place. In version one, Larry's friend Harris had been beaten up by Harlow (allegedly for repeatedly hitting on Harlow's girlfriend) and Larry came to Harris' five-fingered rescue. In version two, Larry made the advances on Harlow's girlfriend and that was why the two men fought (although that story didn't explain why Harris got beaten up first).

Either way, Harlow was hurt badly enough (or pretended to be hurt badly enough) to be admitted to Massachusetts General Hospital after the fight. He then filed a lawsuit against Larry. But before it went to trial, and out-of-court settlement was reached (for somewhere between $15,000 and $21,000) and the documents were sealed.

The fact that this happened while Larry was hanging out with Harris wasn't a big surprise. According to the Boston Herald, Harris (then a 39-year-old used car salesman) had previously been convicted for selling drugs, fixing odometers, and "fraudulent bookkeeping." The Celtics didn't want Larry hanging out with his shady buddy, and they had even asked the Massachusetts State Police to run a background check on Harris (the Celtics denied this, although the state police confirmed it). It was also reported that the Celtics had specifically asked Larry to end his friendship with Harris and Larry refused (though both parties denied it), while Bird's agent, Bob Woolf, "literally begged" Larry's close friends to convince Larry to ditch Harris. Eventually, after the Finals, Larry did so.

So yeah, the Lakers played great and the Boston bench sucked. But it is also quite possible -- even probable -- that Larry Bird cost the Celtics the 1985 NBA championship.

Bird hangin out with criminals, throwin hands in bars and no one brings it up.

How come they never brin THAT up in the Larry/Magic 30 for 30?

Comments

• zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bird hangin out with criminals, throwin hands in bars and no one brings it up.

How come they never brin THAT up in the Larry/Magic 30 for 30?

He's white.....
    Even with the way he destroyed the pacers this yr with those ? trades.....media is caping foe him. who in their right mind signs andrew bynum? Imagine a black gm that did that? Black GM will be vilified and be hanged on a tree

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? said they would lynch a black gm...? dam
  • fightforolddc
    Options
    "Bird has such great integrity"

Said about dude with kids he doesn't speak to
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    ? said they would lynch a black gm...? dam

Lol.... its a metaphor. ...but imagine a black man who brought in cleveland andrew bynum....evan turner......and see how that ? affected the culture of the team....the media who be eating up that ? right now
  • Jonah 2.0
    Jonah 2.0 Members Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good drop.

Some additional info not mentioned:

So who are Mike Harlow and Nick Harris? Where are they today? Whatever came of this case? Did Larry punch him and if so, with what hand? Bird shot 46 percent in the ’85 playoffs. In his other two MVP seasons (84 and 86), when the Celtics won the championship, he shot 52 percent each year. However after that apparent incident, the final 8 games of the playoffs, Bird shot just 40 percent (63-156). Is this why the Celtics couldn't win it all in 1985?

Harlow was represented by the firm of Cooley Manion Moore & Jones. Attorney Kevin Glynn handled the case with Pat Jones and said, "There was an incident and Harlow has retained the services of our offices." Glynn said that no criminal complaint had been filed, but indicated that they are seeking an out-of-court settlement.

What kind of settlement? Like the incident in Colorado that Bean settled out of court that kept the woman he ? forever-quiet? What were the details on this? Why do we have so many questions and so few answers? Is it because it was the pre-internet age?

There was also a Boston attorney Dan Harrington who had been hired by an unidentified woman who was seeking damages from both Bird and Chelsea's.

"I have been retained to represent a female who was also assaulted by Larry Bird in the matter," Harrington had said. "She was a female companion of Harlow's; the incident arose out of a situation involving her."

Bird's attorney at the time Bob Woolf had said, "The reports I've heard have been totally uncharacteristic of any behavior Larry has had in the past. This is something they (Harlow's lawyers) have brought to my attention, and we're going to be looking into it. I will be speaking to them later in the week. Our options are to find out what the circumstances were and make a decision."

However later on, Woolf would confirm a report that Larry Bird agreed to an out-of-court settlement of his alleged altercation with a Quincy Market bartender.

"All I will say is that an amicable agreement has been reached and all parties are pleased with it," said Woolf, adding, "I do not want to comment any more because all parties had a confidentiality agreement."
    So what else transpired? What was this amicable agreement? Who is the woman? What does Quinn Buckner have to say about this? Who the hell was Nick Harris and where is he today? Where the hell is Mike Harlow today? And most importantly can we thank him for blowing a chance to win the 1985 title?

http://www.celticslife.com/2012/08/thanks-mike-harlow-for-blowing-1985.html
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We all know this...
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
  • Cliff Da Mont
    Cliff Da Mont Members Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Mj was doing dirt too, magic got ? aids banging hookers c'mon dawg

Btw Larry>>Lebron just off this story alone. The hick from French lick drinking blue ribbon knocking out cats in between games and ? .
  • fightforolddc
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Good drop.

Some additional info not mentioned:

So who are Mike Harlow and Nick Harris? Where are they today? Whatever came of this case? Did Larry punch him and if so, with what hand? Bird shot 46 percent in the ’85 playoffs. In his other two MVP seasons (84 and 86), when the Celtics won the championship, he shot 52 percent each year. However after that apparent incident, the final 8 games of the playoffs, Bird shot just 40 percent (63-156). Is this why the Celtics couldn't win it all in 1985?

Harlow was represented by the firm of Cooley Manion Moore & Jones. Attorney Kevin Glynn handled the case with Pat Jones and said, "There was an incident and Harlow has retained the services of our offices." Glynn said that no criminal complaint had been filed, but indicated that they are seeking an out-of-court settlement.

What kind of settlement? Like the incident in Colorado that Bean settled out of court that kept the woman he ? forever-quiet? What were the details on this? Why do we have so many questions and so few answers? Is it because it was the pre-internet age?

There was also a Boston attorney Dan Harrington who had been hired by an unidentified woman who was seeking damages from both Bird and Chelsea's.

"I have been retained to represent a female who was also assaulted by Larry Bird in the matter," Harrington had said. "She was a female companion of Harlow's; the incident arose out of a situation involving her."

Bird's attorney at the time Bob Woolf had said, "The reports I've heard have been totally uncharacteristic of any behavior Larry has had in the past. This is something they (Harlow's lawyers) have brought to my attention, and we're going to be looking into it. I will be speaking to them later in the week. Our options are to find out what the circumstances were and make a decision."

However later on, Woolf would confirm a report that Larry Bird agreed to an out-of-court settlement of his alleged altercation with a Quincy Market bartender.

"All I will say is that an amicable agreement has been reached and all parties are pleased with it," said Woolf, adding, "I do not want to comment any more because all parties had a confidentiality agreement."
    So what else transpired? What was this amicable agreement? Who is the woman? What does Quinn Buckner have to say about this? Who the hell was Nick Harris and where is he today? Where the hell is Mike Harlow today? And most importantly can we thank him for blowing a chance to win the 1985 title?

http://www.celticslife.com/2012/08/thanks-mike-harlow-for-blowing-1985.html

So Larry was gettin ? and beating broads and bartenders during the finals?

Imagine that happening in 2014.
  • fightforolddc
    Options
    Bartender prolly like "Michael Cooper lockin you" and Larry caught feels.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he didnt have them hands when dr j swung on him
  • Cliff Da Mont
    Options
    DUB wrote: »

Ya cuz he was getting choked and held back like the wwf

110703Photo_LookBack1.jpg

• O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bird had Erving drowning in feels that game.
  • fightforolddc
    Options

Ya cuz he was getting choked and held back like the wwf

110703Photo_LookBack1.jpg

GOAT photo! Dr. J had that "I just knocked his ass out" look

Bet Larry thought twice next time he ran his mouth.
  • Cliff Da Mont
    Options
    Larry bird don't love his kids, what the ? make you think he scared of talking ? to dr.J? Lol
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Larry Legend was a real ?
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Barkley and Malone Held Bird for Dr J to get shots on him
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    O.G. wrote: »
    My respect for him grows. Larry ? ' Legend.

• Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I feel like saying "white media" is mostly redundant.

Dead @ that story tho
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thread is not going as planned for threadstarter, he thought he was on to something