Comments

• lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn, day after Father's Day. RIP
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember on.ps1 press square for.power hit or x for contact tony always had that single with contact hit lol
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One of the greatest hitters ever.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    huey wrote: »
    i heard he only struck out 3 times in a 20 year career. crazy

C'mon son...

• Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

C'mon son...

I think he meant 3 times in a game, I hope
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    never seen him not smiling

another piece of my childhood gone
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Named his bat the "7 grains of pain". That's pretty trill. I'm pretty sure I got a Tony Gwinn card at my Moms house. Ima check next time I'm over.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

C'mon son...

Dan Patrick is a damn liar then
  • A$AP_A$TON
    Options
    I just looked it up and it says he struck out 434 times in his entire career. With 10,232 at bats. That ? is crazy.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Grew up only caught on to baseball cause of players such as gwynn,griffey,rickey henderson,bonds....gwynn's numbers are crazy.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

C'mon son...

I think he meant 3 times in a game, I hope

I don't even watch baseball, never been in to it but even I knew that ? sounds absurd.

Must've got what Dan Patrick said confused.
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options

C'mon son...

Dan Patrick is a damn liar then
    No, you just don't follow baseball if you think someone can play for 20 years and only strike out 3 times. I think what you might have heard is he only struck out 3 times in a game once and the reason that's notable is because the pitcher that accomplished it (Bob Welch) died last week at 57.
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tim Kurkjian stays with them GOAT baseball stories. Said he used one of the smallest bats in the league because his hands were so tiny. So tiny in fact that he couldn't even palm a basketball even though he also played basketball at San Diego State.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    Options
    Rampage12 wrote: »
    Tim Kurkjian stays with them GOAT baseball stories. Said he used one of the smallest bats in the league because his hands were so tiny. So tiny in fact that he couldn't even palm a basketball even though he also played basketball at San Diego State.

And he was drafted by the Clippers.
  • OhPee
    OhPee Members Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Long Beach's Fineset
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They said he was a nice guy off the court as well...... didn't change once cameras go off
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    zerocool wrote: »
    They said he was a nice guy off the court as well...... didn't change once cameras go off

Huh?
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T.Taylor wrote: »

Huh?

Exposed like a ?
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I grew up in an era where there was great hitters, i was blessed to see the the ending years of Rod Carew, Pete Rose....but i grew up watching great contact hitters like George Bret, Paul Molitor, Robin Yount, Tony Fernandez, Edgar Martinez, Gary Shiffield, Nomar Garcipanna (sp), Mark Grace, Will Clark, to many to name....

But Tony Gwynn was the Greatest Hitter I ever seen in my life
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T.Taylor wrote: »

Huh?

Simple mistake
  • ckfree
    Options
    Parallel wrote: »
    When I first started to laying ball I idolized Ripken, Griffey and Gwynn. It made me really sad to hear of his passing because even though I know he has been battling a while now he was still young. Mr. Padre was a great guy and he played the game right. He always spoke out about roids being an issue before anyone even put them in the media. He was extremely intelligent on and off the field.

Other day I was listening to SVP and Russillo and they were saying Bonds used to give him fits in the outfield so he could drop a ball in front of him and get a single like he normally does. So in order to get Bonds to play back Gwynn started hitting with a bat that was an inch longer which allowed him to hit it over his head when he was playing in. When he started playing back he switched to the other bat (inch shorter) and dropped liners in front of Bonds. That's insane lol.

lmao

reminds me of the story about ted williams (i think) who use to purposely hit fouls ? into certain sections where fans heckled him the most
  • ckfree
    edited June 2014
    Options
    ckfree wrote: »
    When I first started to laying ball I idolized Ripken, Griffey and Gwynn. It made me really sad to hear of his passing because even though I know he has been battling a while now he was still young. Mr. Padre was a great guy and he played the game right. He always spoke out about roids being an issue before anyone even put them in the media. He was extremely intelligent on and off the field.

Other day I was listening to SVP and Russillo and they were saying Bonds used to give him fits in the outfield so he could drop a ball in front of him and get a single like he normally does. So in order to get Bonds to play back Gwynn started hitting with a bat that was an inch longer which allowed him to hit it over his head when he was playing in. When he started playing back he switched to the other bat (inch shorter) and dropped liners in front of Bonds. That's insane lol.

lmao

reminds me of the story about ted williams (i think) who use to purposely hit fouls ? into certain sections where fans heckled him the most

Him and Ted were real close like father and son almost. Ted probably taught him all this ? lol

definitely

they got a 3 minute clip of them talking on youtube about their different approaches to hitting and you could tell their was a high level of respect that they had for each other
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options