• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    zombie wrote: »
    as good as it might sound to say just leave them alone and let them fight it out i don't think that would be a good idea because this could turn into a sunni vs shia religious war real quick. This group does not just want to take iraq they want syria also. Iran will back the shia and the arabia states will back the sunni.

this ? could get real ugly.

Sound like a win-win to me. Let them squab it out and whoever come out on top send them a gift basket and call it a day.

No because it's just going to spread to other places in the middle east and who ever comes out on top might be worse than the people we have to deal with now and not only that they will be much stronger. What the people who follow this islamic fundamentalist ideology want is basically a kaliphate which would be a another islamic super state like the ottoman empire used to be. The world does not need that ? now things are to unstable

Whoever comes out on top would most likely be weaker because of years of warfare. I doubt any involved party would completely and definitively crush opposition and completely consolidate power. United States has the most powerful and well funded military in the world and we couldn't even do that. Western world should be more concerned about them uniting than them fighting if anything.

They won't be weaker they would have battle hard veterans and ? control of almost all of the worlds oil this group for the most part has already crushed iraq if someone does not stop them they are not going to stop. we can't consolidate power there because we are not muslims and we are not of there world.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    as good as it might sound to say just leave them alone and let them fight it out i don't think that would be a good idea because this could turn into a sunni vs shia religious war real quick. This group does not just want to take iraq they want syria also. Iran will back the shia and the arabia states will back the sunni.

Sound like a win-win to me. Let them squab it out and whoever come out on top send them a gift basket and call it a day.

No because it's just going to spread to other places in the middle east and who ever comes out on top might be worse than the people we have to deal with now and not only that they will be much stronger. What the people who follow this islamic fundamentalist ideology want is basically a kaliphate which would be a another islamic super state like the ottoman empire used to be. The world does not need that ? now things are to unstable

Whoever comes out on top would most likely be weaker because of years of warfare. I doubt any involved party would completely and definitively crush opposition and completely consolidate power. United States has the most powerful and well funded military in the world and we couldn't even do that. Western world should be more concerned about them uniting than them fighting if anything.

They won't be weaker they would have battle hard veterans and ? control of almost all of the worlds oil this group for the most part has already crushed iraq if someone does not stop them they are not going to stop. we can't consolidate power there because we are not muslims and we are not of there world.

The atrocities that ISIS have unleashed thus far are bound to create a bitter divide even worse than what's present now between Shiites and Sunnis. I can't imagine Shiites accepting rule under these Sunni extremists. Iran has a relatively sophisticated military and they're getting involved on behalf of the Sunni dominated Iraqi government so that'll be an added dimension. This won't be a quick war by any means if it pops off. There's a ton of division now even between these various jihad groups. That doesn't even bring the heavily armed Kurds into the equation who have quietly been watching the chaos unfold but ready for battle to pop off if need be.

The United States getting back in at least overtly won't help us at all. The chances of a united Caliphate on the scale of the Ottoman Empire emerging out of this are extremely slim. None of those guys get along with each other enough for that to happen. The Jihad movement over there is getting more splintered by the day.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We need to stay out and find new sources of oil
  • Masterfultech
    Masterfultech Members Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    JerryNoir wrote: »
    We need to stay out and find new sources of oil energy

I agree but I haven't seen any alternatives as powerful as oil, unless someone can show me.
  • Stiff
    Options
    We need to stay out and find new sources of oil

This and we need to get off our dependency of oil all togehter
  • zombie
    edited June 2014
    Options

The atrocities that ISIS have unleashed thus far are bound to create a bitter divide even worse than what's present now between Shiites and Sunnis. I can't imagine Shiites accepting rule under these Sunni extremists. Iran has a relatively sophisticated military and they're getting involved on behalf of the Sunni dominated Iraqi government so that'll be an added dimension. This won't be a quick war by any means if it pops off. There's a ton of division now even between these various jihad groups. That doesn't even bring the heavily armed Kurds into the equation who have quietly been watching the chaos unfold but ready for battle to pop off if need be.

The United States getting back in at least overtly won't help us at all. The chances of a united Caliphate on the scale of the Ottoman Empire emerging out of this are extremely slim. None of those guys get along with each other enough for that to happen. The Jihad movement over there is getting more splintered by the day.

The caliphate is a long term goal of those people, and if someone does not step in soon the war will be over they have almost the entire country already. I doubt they will ? with the kurds now but if they overthrow this government it's only a matter of time. Their goal is to get iraq and syria if they can do that then get the other sunni states to recognize them as a legitimate government. IRAN won't be able to get involved without causing a major incident with the other sunni states. and until i read something credible about various jihad groups fighting each other the fact that they don't always agree on every little thing is meaningless.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Signs of the times........

The hook is being laid out and the trap is being set. Amen.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    I predict that the borders of Iraq and Syria will soon be redrawn
  • Stiff
    Options

The caliphate is a long term goal of those people, and if someone does not step in soon the war will be over they have almost the entire country already. I doubt they will ? with the kurds now but if they overthrow this government it's only a matter of time. Their goal is to get iraq and syria if they can do that then get the other sunni states to recognize them as a legitimate government. IRAN won't be able to get involved without causing a major incident with the other sunni states. and until i read something credible about various jihad groups fighting each other the fact that they don't always agree on every little thing is meaningless.

Clashes between ISIS, Al-Qaeda affiliates (Al-Nusra), and Hezbollah are well documented especially in the Syrian civil war. Here are just a couple articles

http://english.al-akhbar.com/content/hezbollah-fighters-and-jihadis-mad-drugged-homicidal-and-hungry

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2014/Jun-18/260556-isis-rebel-clashes-resume-in-deir-al-zor.ashx#axzz358EoAI1P

These guys are past just minor misunderstandings with each other. They are at a level of overt hostility and even bloodshed.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So those chemicals were never destroyed.
  • zombie
    Options

Clashes between ISIS, Al-Qaeda affiliates (Al-Nusra), and Hezbollah are well documented especially in the Syrian civil war. Here are just a couple articles

http://english.al-akhbar.com/content/hezbollah-fighters-and-jihadis-mad-drugged-homicidal-and-hungry

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2014/Jun-18/260556-isis-rebel-clashes-resume-in-deir-al-zor.ashx#axzz358EoAI1P

These guys are past just minor misunderstandings with each other. They are at a level of overt hostility and even bloodshed.

Hezbollah is a shia organization so they should be fighting isis and any sunni group anyway and at this point i really don't think isis needs to be worried by al nusra for very long IF they can take over a whole nation i don't think al nusra will pose much of a problem very long
  • Stiff
    Options

Hezbollah is a shia organization so they should be fighting isis and any sunni group anyway and at this point i really don't think isis needs to be worried by al nusra for very long IF they can take over a whole nation i don't think al nusra will pose much of a problem very long

If ISIS wants to gain control of Syria they would have to contend with Al-Nusra and ultimately Al-Qaeda. A power struggle between Al-Qaeda and ISIS is emerging because ISIS started as a branch of Al-Qaeda but now is growing in influence. It's even been reported that ISIS has become the wealthiest Jihad group in the world with a value of around 4 Billion in us dollars. Al-Qaeda has already disavowed them and they're supposed to be on the same side (both anti-west Sunnis). Like I said, things are getting splintered over there. I don't think there's anything for the U.S. to do in this at this point. It's becoming a mess and the U.S. has no true allies over there. Any alignment would be a "less of two evils" scenario. We don't even have faith in the Iraqi government that WE established, which is now allied with Iran.

The way I see it the worse case scenario would be for ISIS to topple the Iraqi government and have control over Iraq in a similar fashion the Taliban had control over Afghanistan prior to the U.S invasion. Then again, I don't see Iran allowing that to happen as they've already committed to assist the Iraqi government. U.S doesn't need to take the lead on this one.

Sunnis, Shiites, and Kurds could never be united under a single Caliphate led by ISIS because ISIS is 100% anti-shia. They have no tolerance for them at all as evidenced by these mass executions that have been reported by ISIS of Shia Iraqi government forces. And it won't be long before Kurds enter the fray and that guarantees even further bloodshed.
  • REV_RAGE
    REV_RAGE Members Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    America World Police, FUKYEAH!!! That aside, we need to focus on domestic policy, not military and foreign. Sure when I swore to serve in the military, took an oath to protect against enemies foreign and domestic. We need to let the middle east stew on it's own and concentrate on our domestic terrorist, our own civ-gov.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    All this ? because 1300 years ago....these ? couldnt agree on a leader.

Fix it Jesus ,Muhammad
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Y'all war veterans can't be too happy bout this smh. Iraq war round 3 in the works
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    as KOgood as it might sound to say just leave them alone and let them fight it out i don't think that would be a good idea because this could turn into a sunni vs shia religious war real quick. This group does not just want to take iraq they want syria also. Iran will back the shia and the arabia states will back the sunni.

this is pretty much what Obama was saying.

which why even though he would welcome Iran's aide in quelling this mess
    he doesn't want Iran in the mix if they are only there to indiscriminately to wipe out the sunni
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And to be honest here
    one really shows their ignorance and lack of worldly experience

if he or she can not see why an all out war
    between sunni vs shia is bad not just for the U.S. interest but inevitably the entire world's

• zombie
    Options

If ISIS wants to gain control of Syria they would have to contend with Al-Nusra and ultimately Al-Qaeda. A power struggle between Al-Qaeda and ISIS is emerging because ISIS started as a branch of Al-Qaeda but now is growing in influence. It's even been reported that ISIS has become the wealthiest Jihad group in the world with a value of around 4 Billion in us dollars. Al-Qaeda has already disavowed them and they're supposed to be on the same side (both anti-west Sunnis). Like I said, things are getting splintered over there. I don't think there's anything for the U.S. to do in this at this point. It's becoming a mess and the U.S. has no true allies over there. Any alignment would be a "less of two evils" scenario. We don't even have faith in the Iraqi government that WE established, which is now allied with Iran.

The way I see it the worse case scenario would be for ISIS to topple the Iraqi government and have control over Iraq in a similar fashion the Taliban had control over Afghanistan prior to the U.S invasion. Then again, I don't see Iran allowing that to happen as they've already committed to assist the Iraqi government. U.S doesn't need to take the lead on this one.

Sunnis, Shiites, and Kurds could never be united under a single Caliphate led by ISIS because ISIS is 100% anti-shia. They have no tolerance for them at all as evidenced by these mass executions that have been reported by ISIS of Shia Iraqi government forces. And it won't be long before Kurds enter the fray and that guarantees even further bloodshed.

The vast majority of the shia live in iran and the rest of the muslim world is sunni and they would love a kailphate most of these arab nations are under kings or dictators anyway. So you can leave OUT iran and turkey they are too powerful to take over but the rest of it could fall if isis is not stopped.

If iran goes into iraq and does the wrong thing it's going twist of of control and this could become a proxy war between saudi arabia and iran.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All this ? because 1300 years ago....these ? couldnt agree on a leader.

Fix it Jesus ,Muhammad

Exactly, and those bloodlines might be extinguished due to the bloodshed. This is pitiful and sad tbh, they are fighting over nothing.
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    We need to stay out and find new sources of oil energy

I agree but I haven't seen any alternatives as powerful as oil, unless someone can show me.

Cellulosic ethanol
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So what happens if a few of those 300 advisers that are being sent to Iraq are harmed or killed by ISIS,is America going to send troops for back up or just withdraw the advisers from the region?
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    And to be honest here
    one really shows their ignorance and lack of worldly experience

if he or she can not see why an all out war
    between sunni vs shia is bad not just for the U.S. interest but inevitably the entire world's

Reintervening will be a disaster. Imo we need to quickly find allies amd try to contain the foghtong in Syria and Iraq. We should only go in with international support like in 91
  • The Iconoclast
    The Iconoclast Members Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    So what happens if a few of those 300 advisers that are being sent to Iraq are harmed or killed by ISIS,is America going to send troops for back up or just withdraw the advisers from the region?
    Which ever fits the underlying US agenda and is more profitable. People have to understand, the DoD looks at national & international security from a financial viability standpoint as well.
    Which fuels our Military–Industrial Complex. It's a shame we didn't listen to Eisenhower's warning about it's effects.

Now look at us, we refuse to stop acting like world crime fighting heroes with capes that whiffle in the wind and have an insignia of 'freedom' printed on it.