Iraq crisis: Isis jihadists 'seize Saddam Hussein's chemical weapons stockpile'

12345679»

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    I should have said wide scale invasions since Vietnam, yes I forgot America invaded Panama and some other places in the 80s, although they weren't really huge invasions like those in Iraq or Vietnam. Vietnam was an invasion for sure and I meant to say it took America a long time to do another wide scale invasion after Vietnam
    see, this is where you'd be wrong, those: Vietnam wasn't really an invasion. we had troops (many, many troops) in the territory of an ally to invited them there, blah, blah, blah.

the gap would likely be between the DR and Grenada (18 years)

• Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and my instinct tells me Americans won't have the appetite for that for a long time.

yes, unless a disaster of a "foreign" nature costs American lives a la lusitania (wwi), gulf of tonkin (vietnam), pearl harbor (wwii), or 9/11 (every war since afghanistan).
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    janklow wrote: »
    I should have said wide scale invasions since Vietnam, yes I forgot America invaded Panama and some other places in the 80s, although they weren't really huge invasions like those in Iraq or Vietnam. Vietnam was an invasion for sure and I meant to say it took America a long time to do another wide scale invasion after Vietnam
    see, this is where you'd be wrong, those: Vietnam wasn't really an invasion. we had troops (many, many troops) in the territory of an ally to invited them there, blah, blah, blah.

the gap would likely be between the DR and Grenada (18 years)

OK I'll take your word for it, although I heard troops invaded the communist parts of Vietnam time to time. Perhaps I heard wrong
  • kingblaze84
    edited July 2014
    Plutarch wrote: »
    and my instinct tells me Americans won't have the appetite for that for a long time.

yes, unless a disaster of a "foreign" nature costs American lives a la lusitania (wwi), gulf of tonkin (vietnam), pearl harbor (wwii), or 9/11 (every war since afghanistan).

Oh yeah without question. And then Americans will get tired of war again after awhile....
  • janklow
    OK I'll take your word for it, although I heard troops invaded the communist parts of Vietnam time to time. Perhaps I heard wrong
    well, one thing you have to remember is that circumstances COULD make it not an invasion. interdiction into Cambodia/Laos, for example, might involve ground forces to some extent but would not really be an invasion.

now, i'm drawing a blank on any circumstance where we had troops in North Vietnam BUT it's entirely possible i'm overlooking something, so if you can cite something...

• kingblaze84
    janklow wrote: »
    well, one thing you have to remember is that circumstances COULD make it not an invasion. interdiction into Cambodia/Laos, for example, might involve ground forces to some extent but would not really be an invasion.

now, i'm drawing a blank on any circumstance where we had troops in North Vietnam BUT it's entirely possible i'm overlooking something, so if you can cite something...

I'll have to look that up. I'm fairly certain I heard American troops sent large amount of troops into Viet Cong territory on communist land
  • janklow
    I'll have to look that up. I'm fairly certain I heard American troops sent large amount of troops into Viet Cong territory on communist land
    to be fair, as stated, this is not possible: Viet Cong territory would, be definition, be in South Vietnam; it would be NVA territory in North Vietnam.

now, as admitted, we DID have interdiction(s) into Laos and Cambodia for the purposes of attacking NVA supply lines, but for technical reasons, these would not qualify as invasions.