How many sets you do for tris and bis?

shadb33
shadb33 Members Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in The Weight Room
I think I've been overtraining my biceps and triceps..

Normally on a tricep day I do

Skullcrushers - 3 sets/6-8
Lateral Pushdowns - 2 sets/6-8
Close grip bench press - 3 sets/6-8
Straight bar pushdowns - 3 sets/6-8

And for biceps

Barbell curl - 3 sets/6-8
Hammer curl - 3 sets/6-8
Dumbbell curl - 3 sets/6-8
Sometimes an extra set

Is this too much? Today I only did 6 sets 6-8 reps for my tris. Imma do the same for my biceps. I'm gaining weight but my arms arent really growing IMO.

Comments

• Sourpatch Kid
    Sourpatch Kid Members Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    shadb33 wrote: »

And for biceps

Hammer curl - 3 sets/6-8
    Sometimes an extra set

Is this too much? Today I only did 6 sets 6-8 reps for my tris. Imma do the same for my biceps. I'm gaining weight but my arms arent really growing IMO.

For triceps, I'd say your over training and you should incorporate dips into your tricep routine and for biceps, I'd say your undertraining. After you finish those sets with the biceps you should do a quick warm up with some cable curls or use the rope and basically do as many as you can while trying to gun for 30-40, that will get you cut up or you can do 3 sets of 21's to finish your bicep workout. That's what I normally do but everyone's body functions differently.
  • shadb33
    edited July 2010
    I usually do dips focusing on my chest....
  • Sourpatch Kid
    Sourpatch Kid Members Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    I usually do dips focusing on my chest....

Yea, it hits lower chest and triceps also but alot of people do it wrong. The way I was trained is that you have to go all the way down, hold it and then go all the way up to where your arms are positioned in a straight line, exhaling slowly and holding the position. That targets the tri's the most instead of rushing through the dips to see how many reps you can do.
  • Dick_Knubbler
    Dick_Knubbler Members Posts: 86
    edited July 2010

And for biceps

Hammer curl - 3 sets/6-8
    Sometimes an extra set

OK for starters if you do rows, chin-ups, lat pulldowns you will hit your biceps. So add biceps to ur back day. Triceps are a big muscle group they can handle punishment. But you should do them on ur chest day. Reason is for recovery. Having days set aside for arms is not needed unless ur press for time. I do three excercises for tris and bis that are isolated. Plus my compounded excercises. 3-4 sets 85% of max w/ 6 reps
  • Dick_Knubbler
    edited July 2010
    Yea, it hits lower chest and triceps also but alot of people do it wrong. The way I was trained is that you have to go all the way down, hold it and then go all the way up to where your arms are positioned in a straight line, exhaling slowly and holding the position. That targets the tri's the most instead of rushing through the dips to see how many reps you can do.

DIPS are the best excercise for tris mass along with close -grip and french curls
  • shadb33
    edited July 2010
    yea i do chest tris traps one day..back bis calves abs another day...shoulders quads hams next and repeat....
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    what are skullcrushers?
  • shadb33
    edited July 2010
    what are skullcrushers?

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    I do pullups with a close under grip. Like 4 sets. Barbell or preacher curls. Tris I do dips and put my hand and lets feet on two benches and put a plate on my lap. I really don't lift arms all that much.
  • Dick_Knubbler
    edited July 2010
    what are skullcrushers?

Lying down French Curls. They are the ? but I got mean elbow tendonitis so I avoid them but made it up to 45's on the ez-curl bar before I quit them. I only stick to the close-grip bench, seated dips and tricep ext. my tri's are Boss Hogg
  • Keston169
    Keston169 Members Posts: 422
    edited July 2010
    what are skullcrushers?

some ? that will get you right...