Should sequels stand on their own or rely on their predecessors?

soul rattler
soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was comparing Days Of Future Past and The Avengers and how much they relied on information presented in preceding movies (X Men, X 2, X3, Origins, First Class, The Wolverine) (Hulk, Iron man 1 and 2, Thor). It seems like as a stand alone film DOFP does a lot better than The Avengers from a story standpoint and character utilization. You didn't HAVE to see all of the previous X Men films to comprehend DOFP. With The Avengers, as a standalone, it's like who is Loki, who is Thor, what the hell happened to Bruce Banner, and how is Captain America standing his ground with these aliens? With X Men, it's like, these are all mutants. That's all you need to know.

Understandable enough, the point of sequels is that they continue a narrative established by previous movies.

With that being said, should sequels be so series-centered that every single aspect of it could only be understood by watching previous installments?

Or does it serves the audience a greater service to keep cross-movie references to a minimum?

Comments

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Avengers is not a sequel. It is it's own stand alone film. DOFP is a sequel.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched Avengers before I had seen Thor, Captain America or any other Marvel movies besides Iron Man 2. ? made sense, but it did make more sense after seeing them.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avengers is not a sequel. It is it's own stand alone film. DOFP is a sequel.

I mean sequel in the sense that it's a continuation of previous movies.
    I watched Avengers before I had seen Thor, Captain America or any other Marvel movies besides Iron Man 2. ? made sense, but it did make more sense after seeing them.

The only ones I hadn't seen before Avengers are Hulk and Iron Man (the first one). So when Banner said "Last time I was in New York I broke Brooklyn" I had no clue what he was talking about.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the sequel contains a standalone story and plot with no threads from the original then it should be judged soley on its own merits.