Who is your favorite black intellectual?

Options

Comments

• Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't have one. Intellect is often based on book/structured knowledge. Anybody with the drive to read and retain information can be considered intellectual.

It's also a scapegoat for cowards that are afraid to challenge them.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gregory.jpg

Richard Claxton "? " Gregory (born October 12, 1932) is an American comedian, social activist, social critic, writer, entrepreneur, and conspiracy theorist.[1]

Gregory is an influential American comedian who has used his performance skills to convey to both white and black audiences his political message on civil rights. His social satire helped change the way white Americans perceived black American comedians since he first performed in public.

Too many books to post, here's his website http://dickgregory.com/
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont like comparing and contrasting and any sort of pitting against one another I appreciate any positive tangible or intangible contribution to the struggle
  • kzzl
    Options
    And just because I'm currently reading his book...

george-jackson1.jpg

In 1960, at the age of eighteen, George Jackson was accused of stealing $70 from a gas station in Los Angeles. Though there was evidence of his innocence, his court-appointed lawyer maintained that because Jackson had a record (two previous instances of petty crime), he should plead guilty in exchange for a light sentence in the county jail. He did, and received an indeterminate sentence of one year to life. Jackson spent the next ten years in Soledad Prison, seven and a half of them in solitary confinement. Instead of succumbing to the dehumanization of prison existence, he transformed himself into the leading theoretician of the prison movement and a brilliant writer. Soledad Brother, which contains the letters that he wrote from 1964 to 1970, is his testament.

962568.jpg
  • kzzl
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Now this chick here... she's a handful. She's with the NOI, so that's the point of view you're gonna get outta her. She's just giving her point of view, so you might not agree with everything. You might hate her. Just take it as you will I guess.

I've just seen some interviews and some lectures she's given. Maybe someone that's read her stuff could give us something more informed about her material. But personally, from what I have seen, I like her.

shahrazad+ali.png

Sister Shahrazad Ali (born April 27, 1954, in Brooklyn, New York, US) is an author of several books, including an 180-page, $10, self-published paperback called The Blackman's Guide to Understanding the Blackwoman. The book "sparking controversy" and "furor", bringing "forth community forums, pickets and heated arguments among blacks in many parts" of the US when it was published in 1989.

Stories about the book appeared in the Los Angeles Times, New York Times, Washington Post, Newsday, and Newsweek. Ali appeared on 'Tony Brown's Journal', the 'Sally Jessy Raphael Show', 'The Phil Donahue Show', and 'Geraldo' TV programs, was ridiculed on In Living Color. The book reportedly "brought black bookstores new business", while other black bookstores banned it. It also provoked a book of essays (called Confusion by Any Other Name) "exploring the negative impact" of The Blackman's Guide.

Wiki has one excerpt of her book referring to Black women reading...

Although not lazy by nature, she has become loose and careless about herself and about her man and family. Her brain is smaller than the Blackman's, so while she is acclaimed for her high scholastic achievement, her thought processes do not compare to the conscious Blackman's.

Her unbridled tongue is the main reason she cannot get along with the Blackman, ... if she ignores the authority and superiority of the Blackman, there is a penalty. When she crosses this line and becomes viciously insulting it is time for the Blackman to soundly slap her in the mouth.

LOL!!!
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr. Clarke. That man had the GOAT lines and he been dead for a min and white folk still mad.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Came to say Michael Eric Dyson , but cs Patrice Oneal
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yahshua, Solomon, King David, Malcolm X, The Honorable Elijah Muhammad, Martin Luther King Jr, Cornell West, to many to name
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • MoneyPowerRespect
    MoneyPowerRespect Members Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr. Cornell West
    Michael Eric Dyson
    Melissa Harris Perry
    Paul Mooney
    Malcolm X
    Marcus Garvey
    King Solomon. Even if you don't read the bible, the book of Proverbs is filled with knowledge.

I'm going to get that book, too. That excerpt is something that I've said before.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope someone said ? Gregory
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    why oh why does the internet refuse to get with the concept of picking a favorite anything
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also whoever wrote the book of the dead which inspired proverbs.
  • Intelligent_Hoodlum
    Intelligent_Hoodlum Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    Yahshua, Solomon, King David, Malcolm X, The Honorable Elijah Muhammad, Martin Luther King Jr, Cornell West, to many to name

Who you telling, its hard to narrow it down to a few knowing that there was once a time when we were the originators of civilization creating many of the worlds religions , developing advanced sciences , and creating new forms of mathematics. Back then though science and spirituality/religion went hand in hand much unlike today were Europeans run the show taking credit for things created and perfected thousands of years ago.

To add to your list of great black thinkers of the past id include Ii-em-Hotep, Enoch the Hamatic Ethiopian aka En-nu-ka-ru , Heru/Osiris and his son Horus all based on actual brothers who once walked the Nile River Valley but later deified as 'Gods'.
  • Intelligent_Hoodlum
    Intelligent_Hoodlum Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If i had to pick one from recent times it would have to be Stokely Carmicheal aka Kwame Ture. He is also one of the few that actually went back to the MotherLand but idk if that is because he gave up on the struggle here in the diaspora or he wanted to just go back home
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr. Cornell West
    Michael Eric Dyson
    Melissa Harris Perry
    Paul Mooney
    Malcolm X
    Marcus Garvey
    King Solomon. Even if you don't read the bible, the book of Proverbs is filled with knowledge.

I'm going to get that book, too. That excerpt is something that I've said before.

You know Dyson and Perry have PhDs too, right?
  • MoneyPowerRespect
    MoneyPowerRespect Members Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr. Cornell West
    Michael Eric Dyson
    Melissa Harris Perry
    Paul Mooney
    Malcolm X
    Marcus Garvey

Yes, I know.
    I don't why that question is relevant. They are blacks who I deem to be intellectual.
    If anything,I thought you would have questioned Paul Mooney being up there.
  • A Talented One
    Options
    Dr. Cornell West
    Michael Eric Dyson
    Melissa Harris Perry
    Paul Mooney
    Malcolm X
    Marcus Garvey

Yes, I know.
    I don't why that question is relevant. They are blacks who I deem to be intellectual.
    If anything,I thought you would have questioned Paul Mooney being up there.

You said "Dr" Cornel West, but not "Dr." Michael Eric Dyson or "Dr." Melissa Harris Perry. All three have PhDs, so I don't see why you would call West "Dr." but not the other two.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cornell West, MD
  • A Talented One
    Options
    TS or someone else should drop a list of living black intellectuals (and a brief description) to better direct the premise of the thread.

Too many to name, much less describe their views.

But here is a list of some of the most prominent black intellectuals, past and present.

Fredrick Douglass
    Martin Delany
    Alexander Crummell
    George Washington Williams
    William Sanders Scarborough
    W.E.B. DuBois
    William Monroe Trotter
    Archibald Grimké
    Kelly Miller
    Edward Wilmot Blyden
    Anna Julia Cooper
    Carter g. Woodson
    Ida B. Wells
    Hubert Harrison
    Alain Locke
    Paul Robeson
    James Weldon Johnson
    Marcus Garvey
    Aimé Césaire
    Charles S. Johnson
    E. Franklin Frazier
    Charles Hamilton Houston
    St. Clair Drake
    Frantz Fannon
    Rayford logan
    A. Philip Randolph
    Langston Hughes
    C.L.R. James
    Oliver Cromwell ?
    Howard Thurman
    Ralph Bunche
    J.A Rogers
    Sterling Brown
    Albert Murray
    Stokely Carmichael
    John Hope Franklin
    C. Eric Lincoln
    James Baldwin
    Richard Wright
    Audre Lorde
    John Henrik Clarke
    Chancellor Williams
    Cheikh Anta Diop
    June Jordan
    Orlando Patterson
    James Cone
    Vincent Harding
    Thomas Sowell
    Patricia Williams
    William Julius Wilson
    Barbara Smith
    Ivan van Sertima
    Molefi Kete Asante
    Derek Bell
    bell hooks
    Shelby Steele
    Claude M. Steele
    Elijah Anderson
    Charles Ogletree
    Houston Baker
    Randall Kennedy
    Michael Eric Dyson
    Kwame Anthony Appiah
    Paula Giddings
    V.Y. Mudimbe
    Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
    William A darity, Jr.
    Stephen Carter
    Gerald Early
    Charles Mills
    Patricia Hill Collins
    Paul Gilroy
    Nell Painter
    Lani Guinier
    Glenn Loury
    Stuart Hall
    Manning Marable
    Adolph Reed
    Robin D.G. Kelly
    Lewis Gordon
    Mark Anthony Neal
    Eddie Glaude
    Danielle Allen
    Imani Perry
    J. Kameron Carter
    Melissa Harris-Perry
    Marc Lamont Hill

OK, let me stop now.

I wanna revisit this because there were some significant omissions.

I should have included:

Léopold Senghor
    Zora Neale Hurston
    Gwendolyn Brooks
    Harold Cruse
    Frank Snowden
    Ngugi wa Thiong'o
    Wole Soyinka
    David Levering Lewis

BY the way, I'm not including people like scientists and mathematicians. That's why I'm not listing people like George Washington Carver, David Blackwell, Percy Julian, E. Everett Just, J. Ernest Wilkins, Arlie Petters and Clifford Johnson.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    names names names
    i wanted to revisit this because picking your favorite anything shouldn't require a list of 95 ? names, in which case, the answer is "my favorite black intellectual is ALL OF THEM BECAUSE I CAN'T DECIDE"
  • A Talented One
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    names names names
    i wanted to revisit this because picking your favorite anything shouldn't require a list of 95 ? names, in which case, the answer is "my favorite black intellectual is ALL OF THEM BECAUSE I CAN'T DECIDE"

What's your problem? Part of what I'm doing is bring awareness to the IC of these intellectuals. I'm sure you haven't heard of some of them.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Great thread, I have too many ones I like but my favorite ones are Booker T. Washington, Cornell West, Travis Smiley and Malcolm X
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr. West talks that good stuff.

Brother Malcolm was the closest thing we had to a prophet.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson might be the smartest black man alive.