• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Wow we comparing this to ? and the chronic now,

what did those 2 albums do that the carter ain't do....

Sell more
    Have a far greater cultural impact

selling in the 90 ' s was way easier than it was in 2004... but it still did good numbers...

cultural impact? just like ? and cronic... the carter helped influence the generation it was made in...

so next?

You said it did things that the Chronic and ? did. It didn't sell more. What were the Carter's influences? How did it change the game?

It help bring wayne to a dominate force from 04 till at least 2012... it also and because of the fact that wayne ran the game for those years that means he helped change the game...

and also I'm sure he went Plat off that album... (sold 100k 1st week) so it's still comparable. ..

The Chronic and ? created a new sound that for good or bad had been emulated for years by other west coast artists and even artists from other regions.

The Carter was cool but did that album give 90% southern artists their sound? That album's sound was already established from years past.

So I'm guessing nwa didn't drop a west coast sounding album before Chronic and ? ...

They did. But the Chronic and ? influenced an entire generation of artists all over.

And you think lil wayne hassnt? any rapper who comes out under the age of 25 most likely will have wayne as one of they top artist and the carter is one of the reason...

Wayne has been a huge star for awhile now, but the Carter wasn't an influential album like that.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »

Sell more

selling in the 90 ' s was way easier than it was in 2004... but it still did good numbers...

cultural impact? just like ? and cronic... the carter helped influence the generation it was made in...

so next?

You said it did things that the Chronic and ? did. It didn't sell more. What were the Carter's influences? How did it change the game?

It help bring wayne to a dominate force from 04 till at least 2012... it also and because of the fact that wayne ran the game for those years that means he helped change the game...

and also I'm sure he went Plat off that album... (sold 100k 1st week) so it's still comparable. ..

The Chronic and ? created a new sound that for good or bad had been emulated for years by other west coast artists and even artists from other regions.

The Carter was cool but did that album give 90% southern artists their sound? That album's sound was already established from years past.

So I'm guessing nwa didn't drop a west coast sounding album before Chronic and ? ...

They did. But the Chronic and ? influenced an entire generation of artists all over.

? stopped hippity hopping when NWA dropped tho

I don't understand what this means.

NWA changed the face of hiphop. Even in NY

They were influential but they didn't "change the face of hip hop"

Bruh.........

They introduced the world to Gangster Rap...........

Gangster Rap was the genre of the 90s.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He had a buzz but he wasn't a mega star until after Carter 2. Pretty much 06-07
    That still don't change the fact that the carter helped all that...m

Sure but he didn't become a mega star because of this album. The mixtapes and the guest appearances blew him up over here.
  • The Furley Ghost
    The Furley Ghost Members Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Options
    If you were into hip hop around this time Lil Wayne was on your radar whether he was a pop star is irrelevant... And this and c2 classics
  • 5th Letter
    Options

Sell more

so next?

Bruh.........

No it wasn't the genre of the 90's. In the late 80's you had other influential acts like Run DMC, Public Enemy, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Slick Rick etc. Them along with NWA helped shape hip hop. So to sit there and act like NWA's influence is bigger than the aforementioned is stupid.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you were into hip hop around this time Lil Wayne was on your radar whether he was a pop star is irrelevant... And this and c2 classics

Real ? ... with they logic illmatic and reasonable doubt not classics then...
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options

? , you the one who brought up that mega star ?
  • Turfaholic
    Options

Sell more

so next?

Bruh.........

No it wasn't the genre of the 90's. In the late 80's you had other influential acts like Run DMC, Public Enemy, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Slick Rick etc. Them along with NWA helped shape hip hop. So to sit there and act like NWA's influence is bigger than the aforementioned is stupid.

None of the ? u named have a major impact on the genre today. NWA is the reason Em is a constant subject. NWA is the reason Dr. Dre is a billionaire. From Compton to Detroit, to Cleveland, even Queens NY. Come on Jamaica. You don't wanna have this convo with me.
  • damobb2deep
    Options

lol no that was u...
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options

lol no that was u...

Aight, you're trolling
  • 5th Letter
    Options

Sell more

so next?

Bruh.........

None of the ? u named have a major impact on the genre today. NWA is the reason Em is a constant subject. NWA is the reason Dr. Dre is a billionaire. From Compton to Detroit, to Cleveland, even Queens NY. Come on Jamaica. You don't wanna have this convo with me.

Run ? DMC is the reason why corporations are cool with giving rappers endorsements. They were the first to get consistent radio play on MTV. Rakim, BDK, Kool G Rap inspired a generation of lyrical emcees and changed the game and paved a way for Nas, Jay Z. Public Enemy helped brought social awareness to hip hop. Paving a way for the Tribes and Kanye's of the world.
  • damobb2deep
    Options
    He had a buzz but he wasn't a mega star until after Carter 2. Pretty much 06-07

So you didn't say this?
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wayne's peak was definitely pre-Carter 3. that 06-07 period. Like Father Like Son was part of the reason I think, it was a hot album even though half of it was birdman rappin. the drought is over mixtape series is what really propelled him as well with all the internet-savy folks. people had lil wayne mixtapes dropping every week, even if the ? wasn't legit. I remember that wait for Carter 3 that felt like it was gonna be forever cause ? kept getting pushed back and leaked and then pushed back, etc. ? was a good time in rap to be a wayne fan.
  • anduin
    anduin Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Carter I & II were the highlights of his career work wise, success wise carter iii is where he really blew up
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Wayne was still regional after the Carter dropped. He didnt become a mega star until Carter 3 and Lollipop. Stop with the revisionist ? .

Yea regional when there was a bidding war for him after the carter dropped... also you can't deny the ? buzz around that time... carter 3 was commercial.. but he was a mega star before that... he could not have done the numbers he did if that wasn't the case...

Normally I wouldn't entertain something this dumb but yeah I said that after you said this. Now either you're dumb, have amnesia or trolling, pick one
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options
    I didn't say no ? about no mega star until you brought that ? up
  • Turfaholic
    Options

Sell more

so next?

Bruh.........

Run ? DMC is the reason why corporations are cool with giving rappers endorsements. They were the first to get consistent radio play on MTV. Rakim, BDK, Kool G Rap inspired a generation of lyrical emcees and changed the game and paved a way for Nas, Jay Z. Public Enemy helped brought social awareness to hip hop. Paving a way for the Tribes and Kanye's of the world.

MTV don't play music videos hardly. NY radio disrespectful towards Chuck D. Flava Flav.......Vh-1. They paved the way for Kanye......A ? who once was socially aware but now sales $300 shoes. Run DMC is responsible for selling the culture.

And who's really still eating?

Peep this. NWA> DR. DRE> ICE CUBE> Snoop> Bone Thugs N Harmony> Death Row> Friday> Eminem> 50 Cent>G Unit clothing> Shade45>Beats By Dre> Vitamin Water.

^^^and alotta ? I skipped out cuz im ? . Bruh the NWA family tree is one of the greatest thing to ever happen to urban culture.
  • damobb2deep
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Wayne was still regional after the Carter dropped. He didnt become a mega star until Carter 3 and Lollipop. Stop with the revisionist ? .

Yea regional when there was a bidding war for him after the carter dropped... also you can't deny the ? buzz around that time... carter 3 was commercial.. but he was a mega star before that... he could not have done the numbers he did if that wasn't the case...

Normally I wouldn't entertain something this dumb but yeah I said that after you said this. Now either you're dumb, have amnesia or trolling, pick one

I was replying 2 what the person I was talkin 2... they bought it up before me..
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mass appeal did a 10 year anniversary thing for Carter 1 too
  • clippyclipp n*gga
    clippyclipp n*gga Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im sorry carter 1 and 2 are his best albums but i swear i dont hear anyone in my region of ny even say these album are classics, good but not classic no way, aint nobody up here in the Mecca riding around to know carter 1 songs foh lmao
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Classic all the way. Aint That a ? my favorite song if that album.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its better than the carter 3
  • 5th Letter
    Options

Sell more

so next?

Bruh.........

MTV don't play music videos hardly. NY radio disrespectful towards Chuck D. Flava Flav.......Vh-1. They paved the way for Kanye......A ? who once was socially aware but now sales $300 shoes. Run DMC is responsible for selling the culture.

And who's really still eating?

Peep this. NWA> DR. DRE> ICE CUBE> Snoop> Bone Thugs N Harmony> Death Row> Friday> Eminem> 50 Cent>G Unit clothing> Shade45>Beats By Dre> Vitamin Water.

^^^and alotta ? I skipped out cuz im ? . Bruh the NWA family tree is one of the greatest thing to ever happen to urban culture.

And if that's your logic then Kool Herc>>>everybody. But it doesn't work that way. NWA has a great legacy they have a great family tree. But that doesn't make their contributions the greatest. MTV don't play videos anymore, but back then they did and this was at a time when Michael Jackson was the only black artist getting consistent play. Run DMC were probably the first hip hop acts to be really mainstream. They weren't just relegated to weekend hip hop radio shows. But they getting spins on rock stations. Rakim, Kane, Kool G Rap were the ones that really changed the way how emcees spit from a technical standpoint. Their legacy is felt today. Many lyrical emcees since then has taken things that the aforementioned 3 started and made it their own.

Public Enemy brought social awareness to hip hop. Life wasn't about parties and they spit that real ? , while paving a way for many socially conscience emcees.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AND THAT AINT FAIR BUT ION CARE, IMA MUTHAFUCKIN CASH MONEY MILLIONAIRE!
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this ? is a classic imo tho, ? criteria for classic albums is full of contradictions when it comes from album to album, lol @ wayne being regional around this time