COMMUNITY LIVES! SEASON 6 TO AIR ON YAHOO

Options
Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is not a drill. Community, which was recently cancelled by NBC after five seasons, will get a 13-episode sixth season over at Yahoo Screen.

Showrunner Dan Harmon, along with stars Joel McHale, Gillian Jacobs, Yvette Nicole Brown, Danny Pudi, Alison Brie, Ken Jeong and Jim Rash are all due back.

“I am very pleased that Community will be returning for its predestined sixth season on Yahoo,” said series creator Dan Harmon in a statement. “I look forward to bringing our beloved NBC sitcom to a larger audience by moving it online. I vow to dominate our new competition. Rest easy, Big Bang Theory. Look out, Bang Bus!”

Star Joel McHale added “'The reports of our cancelation have been greatly exaggerated.' — Mark Twain (The other version of this quote has been wrong for years). #SixSeasonsAndaMovie is real. Thank you Sony. Thank you Yahoo. Thank you Dan Harmon. And thank you to the greatest f%$#ing fans in the history of the human race. It’s the internet. We can swear now.”

tumblr_inline_mm5s7o1wvJ1qz4rgp.gif

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/30/community-lives-season-6-to-air-on-yahoo

Comments

• Juttythe3rd
    Juttythe3rd Members Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know why but after reading this I started walking down the hall doing the shoulder lean
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn! This show got 9 lives. Will Yahoo drop all the episodes at once like Netflix?

I've got to give this a watch to see what all the fuss is about. I have never watched a single episode. smh at myself.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Lmao. I wonder if they will utilize the cursing since it will air on Yahoo. I just peeped Yahoo Screen and everything is free. Im sure it will start getting a subscription though.

Hope they can talk Donald into coming back for the 6th season.. Him and Danny Pudi were at E3 as Troy and Abed, playing video games.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    marc123 wrote: »
    Damn! This show got 9 lives. Will Yahoo drop all the episodes at once like Netflix?

I've got to give this a watch to see what all the fuss is about. I have never watched a single episode. smh at myself.

Definitely a show you have to watch from Season 1 episode one. A lot of jokes in future seasons are references to past episodes.
  • Juttythe3rd
    Options
    Give me my movie!!
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    If this gets the views Yahoo wants im sure they will renew it. Or atleast do a movie. I dont want a 7th season if Troy isnt gonna be in it. He HAS to come back for a movie if they do that though, thatd be a real ? move of him if he didnt. Real slap in the face to fans imo lol.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Lmao. I wonder if they will utilize the cursing since it will air on Yahoo. I just peeped Yahoo Screen and [b]everything is free[/b]. Im sure it will start getting a subscription though.

Hope they can talk Donald into coming back for the 6th season.. Him and Danny Pudi were at E3 as Troy and Abed, playing video games.

Yeeesssssssssss!
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    UPDATE: Many have already made the assumption that this additional sixth year could very well be the final season of Community, but Yahoo chief marketing officer Kathy Savitt has told Vulture that she's not ready to say the Season 6 is the show's last hurrah.

"Our hope is to build and extend and prolong" the series beyond the upcoming Season 6. "Our hope is... that it has a healthy future for Season 6 and well beyond."

Naturally, a lot of things would still have to fall into place for the show to continue on after Season 6. Yahoo would still have to want more and Harmon and the cast would have to officially sign on for additional seasons.

In addition, Savitt tells Vulture they will most likely debut new episodes one at a time, not in Netflix's manner of releasing the entire season at once. The intention is for Season 6 to debut sometime this fall.
  • Juttythe3rd
    Options
    *shoulder leans in and out of thread*
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    This fall seems a little too close for them to write (im sure they already have ideas) and film a whole 13 episodes. I guess it can be done though. Just hope they take their time with it.

Also Harmon is known as not being the most timely writer/director lol.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Sony Pictures Television executive Zack Van Amburg has opened up about how the company struck a deal with Yahoo! to save Community from cancellation. Community is set to return for a sixth season on Yahoo! Screen, where Van Amburg believes there is an untapped audience for the beloved TV series.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Van Amburg says that while he was disappointed that NBC wouldn't bring back Community, it wasn't a surprise. "We had series conversations with NBC," says Van Amburg, "and finally [NBC Entertainment chairman] Bob [Greenblatt], as nicely as he could, said, 'Stop f--ing calling me about Community!'"

Van Amburg confirms the talks with Hulu to revive the series, saying how Sony was "so far down the path" to negotiate a deal with Hulu, they were "dismissive" of Yahoo's pitch at first, which made them "committed to explaining to us and Joel McHale and Dan Harmon why this was going to be a cornerstone of the new Yahoo that they're about to unveil to the world." He goes on to describe how Yahoo! wants "to be close to their users and viewers" and seeks "to be a safe destination for creators."

As for finding an audience on Yahoo!, Van Amburg reveals that he is "less concerned" about attracting an audience on the streaming platform than at 8pm on NBC. He assures that Yahoo has a plan in place to introduce Community to an untapped audience, relying on the show's "strong word-of-mouth and good buzz."

When asked about the prospect of more Community beyond its sixth season, Vam Amburg jokes, "I don't know, let's see how our movie does! Isn't that our plan," referencing the show's "six seasons and a movie" recurring gag, and adding "There's no way we're not making the movie now!" "I'd be lying if I told you that we have not had some very early and preliminary conversations that are very exciting about what a potential movie could be and who might direct it," admits Van Amburg, "It's early but it's completely in our thought process."

The Sony exec says that when it comes to whether or not all of Greendale's familiar faces will return, "The hope is that the whole cast is coming back." Joel McHale was reportedly very active in the season six negotiations, and along with Jim Rash and the rest of the cast, is projected to come back for Yahoo's revival of the series.
  • God_Yunn
    God_Yunn Members Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Season five second half of it had me rolling. I thought about Donald but it still worked.

I love this show tho.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Today is the first day of writing for season 6. They plan to start filming Nov. 17th.

So far no word on if Donald will be back. In a recent interview when he was asked about it he said "I still have to talk to Dan about it."

When Dan harmon was last interviewed he said the one thing he wants Yahoo! to do for him is get Donald back. So we have hope here.

Despite writing beginning before all of the cast is confirmed they can always get added in later. Johnathan Banks wasn't added until season 5 was halfway done with writing.
  • kingofbama205
    kingofbama205 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Donald needs to come back and I'll watch
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZJ-3W3Fi9k

Dan's interview. Back from comic Con

Cant find donalds interview at the moment will try and look harder after work.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I binge watched the entire series about a month ago on Hulu after only being a casual viewer. ? is comedy, especially when they added Mike from Breaking Bad and Michael Kenneth Williams played a professor.

Smash on Annie and Britta
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Rumors are circulating that Alison Brie may not be back.

When Yahoo picked up community she was the only cast member that did not mention anything about it. In a recent interview she says she has not heard from Sony about season 6. Yesterday was the first day of the writing sessions and when someone asked a writer on Twitter about her he said that they were just discussing if they should write for Annie or not.

Will update once I find out more. Im sure she's coming back though, probably just people blowing things out of proportion.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    HERE'S THE ACTORS UNDER CONTRACT FOR COMMUNITY: SEASON 6

So just who is back for Community: Season 6? There’s been some fan concern about which cast members were returning to the show, when new episodes debut on Yahoo and Uproxx noted that there was some questions regarding Alison Brie’s participation in particular. Recently, Community writer Ryan Ridley had responded on Twitter to a question about whether Brie's character, Annie, was in the script for the season premiere with “Not sure yet" and the actress hadn’t mentioned the series on her Twitter feed since NBC cancelled it, including when Yahoo saved it a few weeks later at the last minute.

IGN has checked with sources close to the series and can confirm this: Alison Brie is under contract for Season 6, along with Joel McHale, Yvette Nicole Brown, Gillian Jacobs, Danny Pudi, Ken Jeong and Jim Rash. All seven of these actors are expected to be a part of the new season. Now keep in mind we don’t know if this means that they’ll all be in all 13 episodes, but you should expect to see Jeff, Shirley, Annie, Britta, Abed, Chang and the Dean again in these new episodes.

As for Jonathan Banks and John Oliver, while they had significant roles in Season 5, they both were technically guest actors and not under contract. With both of them much busier these days – Banks with Better Call Saul, Oliver with his HBO series – their participation in Season 6 remains to be determined.

UPDATE: Community Dan Harmon has now tweeted the following, making things even more clear.

The rumor about Alison Brie not returning is utterly, 100 percent false. I'd add a joke but I don't want to be unclear. She's coming back!

— Dan Harmon (@danharmon) September 10, 2014

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/10/heres-the-actors-under-contract-for-community-season-6
  • Juttythe3rd
    Options
    i need Annies ? in season 6 man....

and no not the monkey
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alison Brie is pretty high up on my 'women I would sexually intimidate if I ever met them' dossier.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Lmao i remember the halloween episode from Season 4, jeff was a boxer and said annie was gonna be his ring girl.

i was like

244.gif

but then she came as the girl from the movie "the ring" i was ? .
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i still hyperventilate sometimes when the images of her in that santa outfit rush through my head.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    YVETTE NICOLE BROWN LEAVING COMMUNITY

Community may be returning for a miraculous sixth season over at Yahoo Screen, but the news just came in that it will be without one of the study group originals.

TVGuide.com reports that Yvette Nicole Brown, who's played Shirley Bennett on all five seasons so far, will not be coming back for Season 6. She has asked to be released from her current contract for personal family reasons and producers Dan Harmon and Chris McKenna have chosen to honor that request.

The decision was made so that Brown can care for her ill father. "My dad needs daily care and he needs me," Brown informed TVGuide. "The idea of being away 16 hours a day for five months, I couldn't do it. It was a difficult decision for me to make, but I had to choose my dad."

"Yvette was an integral part of Community and is irreplaceable. We are sad to see her go and wish her the very best," Harmon and McKenna said in a joint statement.

shirley-community-he-is-risen.jpg

This past summer, Brown was also cast on CBS' upcoming Odd Couple remake starring Matthew Perry and Thomas Lennon, though it's a recurring role and the multi-cam sitcom schedule is much more flexible than that of the production for a single-camera series. "A multi-camera sitcom is a better fit for the life I have now," Brown said. "I can't say enough how much I respect Sony and Dan for how they handled this profound change in my life."

TVGuide also reports that with Brown leaving and Jonathan Banks not returning due to AMC's Better Call Saul, Community is currently casting for two new characters. One is a woman who has been "brought in as a consultant to help shape up the school." The other is a "retired salesman who comes to Greendale to reinvent himself."

"I'm still Community's biggest fan and I'll still live Tweet episodes," Brown told TVGuide. "It's very bittersweet. I can take care of my dad but won't be with my TV family. I don't want the fans to worry; it's going to be fine. Greendale is the heart of the show, not any particular character. Even if characters come and go, the heart of Greendale remains."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/30/yvette-nicole-brown-leaving-community