In the MARVEL universe, I never understood why people hated Mutants but....

Options
TRILLip Brooks
TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in Quite Comical
like Spider man, The Fantastic 4, Thor, Daredevil etc.

I mean they're the same thing except mutants were born with it. So it's OK to have superpowers when you weren't born with them? Why doesn't the general public in the stories ever suspect Spider man or the others I mentioned for being a mutant?

Comments

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cause they are different and can be very dangerous.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options

I mean they're the same thing except mutants were born with it. So it's OK to have superpowers when you weren't born with them? Why doesn't the general public in the stories ever suspect Spider man or the others I mentioned for being a mutant?

Do you even marvel? Super Humans were hated on also but since they were augmented and not born as someones deformed child, the fear isn't the same. Still there was an entire story line recently about registering all powered beings which was an initiative headed up by Osborne. This was in the books though. Still the movies showed adverse reactions to powered beings on a few occasions. Especially Hulk.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    Options
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    and this is either a quite comical thread, or a social lounge thread.....i'm moving it soon based on where the discussion goes
  • TRILLip Brooks
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »

Do you even marvel? Super Humans were hated on also but since they were augmented and not born as someones deformed child, the fear isn't the same. Still there was an entire story line recently about registering all powered beings which was an initiative headed up by Osborne. This was in the books though. Still the movies showed adverse reactions to powered beings on a few occasions. Especially Hulk.

People love The Fantastic 4 and Spider man
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White Ppl fear what they don't know

And once they know, they try they hardest to exploit it, bleed it dry, and then throw it in the rubbish
  • Dupac
    Options
    mutant rights = civil rights

professor x = mlk
    magneto = malcolm x

the ? was deliberate as ?
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The people of New York hate Spiderman at various points in time

• soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fear of the unknown. The mutant storyline was heavily influenced by the Civil Rights era

The Mutant Registration Act and Superhuman Registration Act mirrored the racist segregation laden legislation that came about as a result of Jim Crow.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Superhuman_Registration_Act

Mods y'all can move this thread
  • Dupac
    Options
    mutants were also created cuz stan and kirby got tired of origin stories.....

? was smoked outta their minds one day and were like

"dude, i have so many idea for new heroes.....but i'm just to burned out from tryna figure out 'how' they got their powers"

"dude...i got it......what if they were 'born' that way????

54037-Thats-brilliant-gif-cxnC.gif
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DWO wrote: »
    mutant rights = civil rights

professor x = mlk
    magneto = malcolm x

the ? was deliberate as ?

this pretty much sums it up. Mutants represent black folks in the MU.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Later it also became an allegory for ? rights
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah i was always told that when the Xmen was formed it was supposed to represent Civil Rights.

Mutant's struggle for equality represents the african american struggle for equality.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aside from the aforementioned painfully obvious Civil Rights (and now ? rights apparently, thank you Bryan Singer) allegories, the difference between the mutants and the other heroes is the history between them and the civilians. First off, NO superhero is immediately celebrated by the comic book civilization, due to vigilantism and excess damage when fighting crime or whatever. But when they are, superheroes like SM and FF are known to the public as heroes of the public, doing things the police can't, like fighting intergalactic planet eaters, mad scientists, and well... mutants. The backgrounds of these masked characters are disregarded in light of their good deeds. Mutants, however, all already stigmatized as menaces to society.

Long story short, everybody wanna be a mutant, but don't nobody wanna be a mutant.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the mutants need to be in there own universe, no way they can fear in a universe with skrulls, Kree, Cosmic Abstracts ect. Hell Marvel doesnt even completely follow the hated angle. When mutants leave the x-franchise and go to other franchises they are celebrated as heroes..soon as they come back they are hated.

Who the ? is scared of white rich super models.

How can you be scared of emma frost but not Invisible Woman....

Scared of Cyclops but Hyperion or any other hero who shoots beams.

Why not be scaed of the other super powered beings,....it makes little sense
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is the general public aware of the other guys besides Avengers?
  • TheManInBlack4.0
    TheManInBlack4.0 Members Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think its because mutants represent the next stage of evolution and ? sapiens feel threatened about going "extinct."
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    but what about inhumans? I think Marvel is pushing them to replace mutants in the movie universe
  • TheManInBlack4.0
    TheManInBlack4.0 Members Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think mutants are more well known among the public.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    next stage my ass, its been super power beings just as long as mutant..they both got powers. In Reality The x-men franchise ran out of idea's they should of been moved passed the feared and more of how to live among humans
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This question gets asked a lot, but it shouldn't be that hard to answer honestly. Mutants have been essentially set up as the next wave of human evolution and they are supposed to replace ? sapiens. This was a theme mentioned in the DoFP movie. So right away there is an adversarial relationship set up between the general public and mutants. No such relationship is set up between the public and human superheros. Those characters just represent abherrations, not a growing force that could eventually threaten an entire species.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The marvel general populace as a whole are a bunch of ? honestly.

The Fantastic Four are probably the only superheroes in 616 Marvel that the gen. public has turned on the least.

Even Captain America has been publicly reviled a couple of times.

Superheroes as a whole there are generally disliked and distrusted, so it makes sense that the average joe would have problems with an entirely new species of superpowered beings popping up randomly (that and the plot demands it).
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    but what about inhumans? I think Marvel is pushing them to replace mutants in the movie universe

This is the popular theory for why Marvel is making a bunch of people Inhumans.....So that Paramount/Marvel studios can have their own group of "mutants" to base movies/tv shows around since 20th Century Fox has the movie/licensing rights to the X-men Franchise, including the term/plot concept of mutants.