ladies of the ic... how do you feel about abortion?

Options

Comments

• Cunt_Lyfe
    Cunt_Lyfe Members, Writer Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it should be legal
    LadyZee wrote: »
    ? _Lyfe wrote: »
    I'm all for it.

I'd rather you have 5 abortions than 5 children you can't take care of.

So because of your (hypothetical) irresponsible mistakes, a child shouldn't be given a shot at life?

I'd rather a child not be born into a life in poverty with the possibility of not having financially/emotionally stable parents.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it should be legal
    Not much of a shot at life if they're born into destitution
  • Cunt_Lyfe
    Options
    it should be legal
    ? happens in life, yo. No need to keep a child as a sort of moral lesson/punishment because you ? up and quite possibly can't provide for them.
  • Cunt_Lyfe
    edited July 2014
    Options
    it should be legal
    Trashboat wrote: »

Putting a child up for adoption >>>>>>> eliminating the shot at life it has with abortion.

If you are genuinely that poverty stricken, adoption gives the child a chance. For instance, Steve Jobs was adopted, and look at the influence his life had.

I wouldn't even put a kid up for adoption. Most people who adopt kids don't want Black babies in the first place--they are the last to get adopted and comprise a large percentage of kids in that system. Adoptions have ? up racial/classist processes, anyway. It's the mother's child and not my place to tell her what the ? to do.
  • Cunt_Lyfe
    edited July 2014
    Options
    it should be legal
    I'm surprised at the results of this poll.

I dislike children more than most on here and I'm the one that thinks they should be allowed to take their first gasp of air.

& lot of the pro abortion voters are mother's themselves which I find a tsd disturbing.

Probably because they understand how hard it is to take care of and raise a child on their own with few resources.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it should be legal

I dislike children more than most on here and I'm the one that thinks they should be allowed to take their first gasp of air.

& lot of the pro abortion voters are mother's themselves which I find a tad disturbing.

Probably because a lot of us don't really consider a fetus to be a child any more than we consider an egg to be a chicken.
  • LUClEN
    edited July 2014
    Options
    it should be legal

Putting a child up for adoption >>>>>>> eliminating the shot at life it has with abortion.

If you are genuinely that poverty stricken, adoption gives the child a chance. For instance, Steve Jobs was adopted, and look at the influence his life had.

Cherry picking the example

Adoptees are much more likely to suffer from mental illness and addiction, exhibit behavioural problems and commit suicide (One sample in Minnesota found them 4 times more likely to commit suicide)

adoption is not always as enjoyable for those who experience it as you are making it sound

• LUClEN
    Options
    it should be legal
    So you'd rather make people suffer

Catholicism for ya
  • SneakDZA
    Options
    it should be legal
    SneakDZA wrote: »

& lot of the pro abortion voters are mother's themselves which I find a tad disturbing.

Probably because a lot of us don't really consider a fetus to be a child any more than we consider an egg to be a chicken.

An egg is a chicken's period. It's an unfertilized egg that the chicken is getting rid of, not an unborn foetus - therefore you can't compare the two.

do i look like a chicken gynecologist?
  • LUClEN
    Options
    it should be legal
    So you'd rather make people suffer

Catholicism for ya

You'd rather ? unborn babies.

Logic for ya.

& btw I'm not a Catholic - i'm an athiest.

A fetus is not a baby

Your natalist values are
  • LUClEN
    Options
    it should be legal
    So does a corpse
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it should be legal
    Plenty of amazing success stories were born to a life of poverty.

If you're that concerned about the welfare of children, be proactive instead of forcing a reactive situation (abortion).

Too many inexpensive if not free options to excuse more than one abortion.
  • MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it should be legal

Agreed.

I never understood the statement I could never give up my child and in the same breath they are perfectly okay with aborting a child. They both have consequences but I guess it comes down to what someone thinks is the lesser of two evils.

? _Lyfe is right in that the adoption system is very flawed and foster care is a mess as well. Problems go beyond race and into what defines a family and brings up the question is keeping the child with biological parents the best option?
    I had a friend/neighbor who had a little girl that she fostered from infancy. She finally went ahead and started adoption process and was devastated in the end when the judge handed the child back to the mother who was an habitual drug user and negligent to not only this child but others that she had as well. After the emotional and financial toll it took on her she decided not to foster. The system lost a good provider and that child went back into the cycle of poverty. (the friend, child, and bio mother are white)
  • twinzmom
    twinzmom Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are a lot of emotions in this thread, wow.

It's a personal choice, if you choose not to then don't and you can go on living your life.

If you choose to, then it's something you have to live with.

I don't think the choice should be taken away.

• LUClEN
    Options
    it should be legal
    So does a corpse

Ridiculous argument, I'm not even going to explain why what you just typed is so stupid.

Corpses are people if having a full set of genes is the requirement

I doubt you could explain objectively
  • LUClEN
    Options
    it should be legal
    Kat wrote: »

If you're that concerned about the welfare of children, be proactive instead of forcing a reactive situation (abortion).

Instances where an undesired result does not end up happening do not invalidate the instances where it does

If abortion is wrong why is only one fine?
  • SneakDZA
    edited July 2014
    Options
    it should be legal
    Neither corpses nor fetuses are people.
  • twinzmom
    Options

Instances where an undesired result does not end up happening do not invalidate the instances where it does

Good question,

I know a girl who's had like 4 abortions.

I think its like saying you should have learned the first time and not put yourself in that type of situation again.

I think if a girl has more than one she doesnt care enough about herself to care enough to take care of a baby.
  • twinzmom
    Options

Good question,

I think its like saying you should have learned the first time and not put yourself in that type of situation again.

I think if a girl has more than one she doesnt care enough about herself to care enough to take care of a baby.
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it should be legal
    100% pro choice. As long as women don't use it as a form of birth control.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    it should be legal

I said I was pro choice meaning a woman has the right to choose

It would take a lot of ? up circumstances for me to actually have the procedure done
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it should be legal
    Because m
    twinzmom wrote: »

Good question,

I just feel like the very least a woman that finds herself having to get that done can do is make sure she never has to do it again. She owes that to the child she chose to abort.

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Women have the right to chose"

It's not her life she's aborting though is it?

this is where it gets interesting... is it far fetched to question whether or not a process happening within a woman is something that she should have governance over?
  • SixSickSins
    SixSickSins Members Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it should be legal
    Taking away the choice for an abortion would be ludicrous.

A baby is a part of the woman's body for 9 months, give or take. It literally draws everything it needs from her body. Thus, she gets to decide what happens to it. Her body, her choice.

If every aborted baby had in fact ended in a live birth and was subsequently given up for adoption, it would lessen the chance of the older kids already in the system who desperately need homes. We all know babies are first choice, usually. Plus, the system is already flawed, crowded, and under-funded imo. Adding to the problem isn't helping.
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why can't it be used as a form of birth control?