WWF in 1992 was the GOAT Roster, top to bottom

2»

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    count remy wrote: »
    Broddie wrote: »
    Taker who didn't truly become interesting till '96.

Taker been poppin since 91 with his face turn. That turn is underrated. few people saw that coming.

I liked Taker since the days where he was Dibiase's monster but let's be real here the Undertaker we know today did not exist until his feud with Mankind in '96 and the Hell In A Cell with Shawn Michaels in 1997. Up until then he was very one dimesional both as a character and in the ring. Once 1996 came he started showing versatility and growth as a character and in the ring. That's when he truly became "The Phenom".

He got that gimmick because he couldn't beat his former tag partner rick martel who was going around spraying his cologne in peoples face. But busines wise they were trying to put the ? him but decided bret was a better fit. It was a decent story line, that had some meaning. Even had promos and was well put together. Which is more than i can say about that tag team los matadors.

He went from one of their biggest and most over midcard stars at the time to an undercard joke; it was not decent and that's why nobody remembers it as anything less than a low point in Tito's career. Seriously an athelete who could handle it in singles or tag team comp with his eyes closed and just happens to be latino ends up becoming a completely caricature of latino culture. ? was disgusting.

Just because Martel went heel as the model which suited him cause he played brash and arrogant very well doesn't mean that they couldn't find a more suitable character for Santana as well. A character that could actually play to his strengths as a performer like Martel's. Actually it was heading in that direction after Strike Force too until they decided out of nowhere to repackage him as The Matador. It was just lazy display of outdated stereotypes which failed to connect with an audience which was the norm in WWF at the time and why they damn near went out of business just 2 years later.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Taker was poppin basically since he debuted he got real over when he beat Hogan and when he saved Miss Elizabeth from getting her head knocked the ? off by Jake the Snake
  • count  remy
    count remy Members Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    ^^ exactly. he fueded with all the majors and got his first belt (short first run) in 91. But somehow he wasn't ? till the mid to late 90s.....
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Taker was poppin basically since he debuted he got real over when he beat Hogan and when he saved Miss Elizabeth from getting her head knocked the ? off by Jake the Snake

Half of the people who post here now weren't born yet or too young too even remember. We some old ass ninjas.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    You guys really don't understand what I'm saying and the funny thing is I'm probably the oldest poster in this thread right now. Yes Undertaker was over when he was the dead man originally. But he wasn't a main eventer, he wasn't the phenom. He was just another hand in the midcard. He was actually like Rusev is now. Dominant but still mysterious without many layers to his character. He didn't become a true breakout character until his feud with Mankind in 1996. That's when people viewed him as more than a gimmick that's when he became more 3 dimensional.

That changed everything for the Undertaker going forward into the Attitude Era and beyond. When most people today think back on his legacy they're not thinking about his matches with Diesel or putting Yokozuna in a casket. They're thinking about his bouts with Foley and his HIAC match with HBK in '97. 1996 was the year The Undertaker took it to the next level and truly started to peak going into the late 90's. He was more assured, more confident and becoming a locker room leader now that he was no longer standing in the shadows of the likes of Hogan, Macho Man, Warrior and Jake.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broddie is right. Undertaker's character really picked up when he was separated from Paul Bearer during the feud with Mankind. That was low-key a genius move as it made him more than just the zombie he had been.
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this video is about the decline of Scott Steiner but he does go into talking about Undertaker's career as well and the direction it went he sums it up perfectly imo.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=47UIAVKUVOY

@ 2:20 he talks about Taker's career.
  • Cliff Da Mont
    Cliff Da Mont Members Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
    Taker came into his own to me when he began the feud with the million dollar corporation crew. And his beef with yoko, that was the first time he was made to look vulnerable. His matches with Bret were also before mankind, so I gotta disagree.

All in all, what a great run.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taker came into his own to me when he began the feud with the million dollar corporation crew. And his beef with yoko, that was the first time he was made to look vulnerable. His matches with Bret were also before mankind, so I gotta disagree.

All in all, what a great run.

Yep this is true...in fact taker started to gain steam before the fatal four way match between him vader, Austin and brett