Better athletes...NBA or NFL?

Comments

• dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NFL, not really all that close.
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    NFL you either on defense, offense or special teams. You have defense, offense and special teams who all play their role you can have an out of shape guy playing special teams and he gets cut the following week.At the NBA level you have to work on defense, offense, speed, agility etc.
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nba has way more athletic players than nfl.
    but its an unfair comparison.
    nfl players are built for short bursts nba players are built for marathons.
    an nba player has to run as fast as an nfl player but for a sustained period without rest or break (barring time outs an nba player doesn't stop after every play)

nfl players are easily more physical but nba players are way more athletic
  • The Iconoclast
    The Iconoclast Members Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone who's aware of actual athletic testing results and looks at both combine testing historically will concede that the NFL has better athletes, this is backed up by virtually all the primary measurements use to test athleticism.

NFL athletes have faster sprint times, are heavier due to having more muscle mass, they're much stronger, can physically absorb more contact and shockingly have higher vertical jumps - take for instance, the 2013 combine testing data for both the NFL and NBA. The average no-step NBA vertical leap was 30.03 inches and the average no-step NFL vertical leap is 31.8 inches. What makes this even more impressive for the NFL, is the fact that includes unathletic lineman, kickers and punters who drag down the average dramatically.

The NFL simply is filled with more elite athletes and the average NFL player is physically bulkier, faster and stronger than the average NBA player and while still being able to match the average NBA player's quickness, agility and body control through contact.

There's a reason you occasionally see the Olympics littered with former or aspiring NFL players and yet there's never any former and aspiring NBA players.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    after the way ray rice was able to finesse a 2 game suspension after the whole Atlantic City incident i think the nfl shows yet again how they are more athletic than NBA players.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure almost all skill position players in the NFL played basketball at some point in school. They just decided football was their best bet or vice versa. Kinda makes it a moot point.

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Athleticism isent just running jumping and power

I came in here knowin this ngga would post this. You been pushin this agenda for about 2,3 years now my nig lol
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Athleticism isent just running jumping and power

I know somebody that probably says this to themselves every morning in the bathroom mirror...

Kendrick-Perkins.jpg
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nycest_1 wrote: »
    nba has way more athletic players than nfl.
    but its an unfair comparison.
    nfl players are built for short bursts nba players are built for marathons.
    an nba player has to run as fast as an nfl player but for a sustained period without rest or break (barring time outs an nba player doesn't stop after every play)

nfl players are easily more physical but nba players are way more athletic

That's why I'm asking what's the prototypes to be evaluated for each.

I'll take LeBron James and Dwight Howard as athletes over whoever u give me as the nfl counterparts.

I think if u held an Olympic style comp the nba would do better across the board

That'd be interesting. I'd take the NFL counterparts. Lebron is a beast, but it's exaggerated. His power is exaggerated because he's not battling powerful people. And his speed is exaggerated because his competition isn't that fast. He's strong and fast, but his competition is weaker and slower than NFL competition, so of course he'll look more dominant. Lebron says he runs a 4.6 40. That's fast, but it's not standing out at all in the NFL.

Vernon Davis at 6' 3" 254 lbs ran a 4.38 40, and did 33 reps on the bench, and had a 42 inch vertical.

Mario Williams went to the combine at 295 lbs, ran a 4.7, did 35 reps on the bench, and a 40.5 inch vertical.

Trent Richardson was in college benching 465 lbs, and coulda done more. He ran a 4.4 40, and can squat 700 lbs.

These are just a few of the people sharing the field in the NFL. So it's harder to stand out as fast, and strong in the NFL, like Lebron can in the NBA.
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    funny thing is, the fastest most athletic nfl guys need oxygen masks at the sideline when they have to run for more than 60 seconds straight
  • bow to royalty
    I think people are getting 2 things twisted about football players.

1) people are REALLY exaggerating their conditioning. Ya'll are acting like these dudes have 0 endurance, so you can lie on the gap between them and basketball players.

2) People are overestimating how fat NFL players are, because they're just looking at their weight. Now I'm not saying there aren't fat players, but there are dudes pushing 300 lbs that you wouldn't look at and call fat, AND that are more athletic than a lot of NBA players.

All around 300 lbs

AR-131229139.jpg&maxW=960

J+J+Watt+Jacksonville+Jaguars+v+Houston+Texans+ijqtQwRsotNl.jpg

Ndamukong+Suh+Detroit+Lions+Training+Camp+3wqZlM9A122l.jpg
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a little harder to go from basketball to football while vice versa you see more often
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a little harder to go from basketball to football while vice versa you see more often

Actually it the opposite at the professional level.
  • bow to royalty
    nujerz84 wrote: »

Ya, I think that was a typo. Not being able to go to the NBA from the NFL isn't an athleticism issue though. Shooting/dribbling are skills. Most NBA players probably can't switch over to golf, tennis, or baseball. Doesn't mean those sports require more athleticism.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NFL

they use a lot more steroids
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nujerz84 wrote: »

Ya, I think that was a typo. Not being able to go to the NBA from the NFL isn't an athleticism issue though. Shooting/dribbling are skills. Most NBA players probably can't switch over to golf, tennis, or baseball. Doesn't mean those sports require more athleticism.

It was a typo, I rushed through that thanks
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
    NBA because some of the NFL players aren't really healthy. This is what I was told in ROTC when I was in highschool. Plus I was showed a video on the NFL injuries and etc real sad. One dude was obese. So, it takes being more athletic and skill being in the NBA.
  • bow to royalty
    edited July 2014
    I'm still not understanding how people are picking the NBA. The only advantage even the NBA people are giving them is endurance, which I'll give to them. But the NFL has a speed, agility (IMO), and HUGE strength advantage. They even ? all over the NBA in jumping. I dunno if anyone has done a 40 inch standing vertical at the NBA combine in a decade. Olympic motto....Faster, Higher, Stronger. That's NFL, NFL, NFL.

I think the NBA nut huggin Lebron for so long has given a warped view of his athleticism. But he's once in a lifetime NBA athleticism, once ever few years in the NFL. Still elite, but not how the NBA portrays him
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its actually easier to go from the basketball to football. outside of africa the majority of pro and college stars been balling since they were kids. you gotta establish a jumper and handles and post moves for years. whereas the majority of football players dont start playing till at least middle school and many didn't start till high school.

Dwight freeney is a local CT product and he played soccer freshman year as a goalie (parents from the islands). 3 Years of football and dude caught on and the rest is history. Antoher i guy i great up with from church didn't start football till sophomore year and got a full ride to penn state and played recently with the redskins and had stints with the dolphins and broncos as well previously. There are a few amount of africans that go to the nba and started playing at 14.
  • bow to royalty
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    its actually easier to go from the basketball to football. outside of africa the majority of pro and college stars been balling since they were kids. you gotta establish a jumper and handles and post moves for years. whereas the majority of football players dont start playing till at least middle school and many didn't start till high school.

Dwight freeney is a local CT product and he played soccer freshman year as a goalie (parents from the islands). 3 Years of football and dude caught on and the rest is history. Antoher i guy i great up with from church didn't start football till sophomore year and got a full ride to penn state and played recently with the redskins and had stints with the dolphins and broncos as well previously. There are a few amount of africans that go to the nba and started playing at 14.

I think people agree with you on that. But we're talking athleticism. Not sport specific skill sets. Like you're a hockey fan. A dude may be a great athlete, but he wouldn't be able to dive right into hockey because he can't handle the puck, or skate well enough. But that's not a knock on his athleticism.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clearly basketball requires more coordination and stamina.

But NFL players are ? walking masses of muscle who are extremely core strong and are more conditioned to have greater fast twitch muscle. Those traits typically make for better athletes.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    NBA has more athletes or you'd have to be a better athlete and have more diversification. Besides a runner back and wild receiver and a quarterback's arm and sight the rest of the NFL is smarts and just strength (For the majority of linemen in the NFL there is only one rule: hit the guy 2 inches in front of you as hard as you can**where's the extremes of athleticism in that???).
    I know i went hard with that last line, but to balance it out --the NFL players work hard as hell to get there and stay there. I ain't even mentioning all those damn plays. They are athletes you don't want to mess with, but I still stand by my point on what is seen in the game. There only about 4 athletes on the field showcasing actual footwork skills, jumping skills, speed, accuracy, hands, spin moves; as for the other guys they just hitting a dude or chasing someone. In the NBA (do I need to list what they're doing), shakes, studder stepping/side step (each play/not once or twice a game like in the NFL), dunking, numerous ways to pass, dribbling, cross-over/between legs, speed, post moves, pivot moves, jump shot, 3 point shooting, driving to the basket, aerial moves, endurance to keep it up 48 minutes, stealing the ball, running backwards, stopping on a dime and exploding forward on each play, spinning, man there's more in the NBA and it takes more. That's why in high school you have to try out for the basketball team, but football you can walk on. Football (not the NFL) can find a use for you even if you ain't an athlete, basketball (unless you have a lot of height) you have to have skills to be playing in the game.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    To make another point: Line up the best from the NBA and make them play football against the best of the NFL and besides probably some NBA players bones being broke and jaws shattered the NBA players could most likely hold their own BETTER than if you took the best NFL players and put them on the court with the best NBA players.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBA players play more, take less breaks in between ball possession, and display an array of different moves while on the court. NBA players, easily.