Better athletes...NBA or NFL?

Comments

• bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    luke1733 wrote: »
    To make another point: Line up the best from the NBA and make them play football against the best of the NFL and besides probably some NBA players bones being broke and jaws shattered the NBA players could most likely hold their own BETTER than if you took the best NFL players and put them on the court with the best NBA players.

You and other people keep talking about their sport specific skills. NBA players can't hang with baseball players or golfers in their sport. That's a reflection of sports specific skills...not athleticism.

And NO...the NBA players would not fare better in football vs NFL players, than NFL players would vs NBA players in basketball. Both teams would lose terribly at the other sport. But the NBA players would get shut out in the NFL. ? the NBA players gonna do in the trenches vs the best linemen the NFL has to offer? Who's gonna stop Suh, Watt, Gerald McCoy, Mario Williams, Mathis, and pretty much every other DL from crushing the QB/RB every play? And what are the NBA LB's gonna do when they gotta meet Peterson, Lynch, Richardson, Charles in the hole? The NBA squad would have their spirits broken on the first drive.
  • bow to royalty
    luke1733 wrote: »
    NBA has more athletes or you'd have to be a better athlete and have more diversification. Besides a runner back and wild receiver and a quarterback's arm and sight the rest of the NFL is smarts and just strength (For the majority of linemen in the NFL there is only one rule: hit the guy 2 inches in front of you as hard as you can**where's the extremes of athleticism in that???).
    I know i went hard with that last line, but to balance it out --the NFL players work hard as hell to get there and stay there. I ain't even mentioning all those damn plays. They are athletes you don't want to mess with, but I still stand by my point on what is seen in the game. There only about 4 athletes on the field showcasing actual footwork skills, jumping skills, speed, accuracy, hands, spin moves; as for the other guys they just hitting a dude or chasing someone. In the NBA (do I need to list what they're doing), shakes, studder stepping/side step (each play/not once or twice a game like in the NFL), dunking, numerous ways to pass, dribbling, cross-over/between legs, speed, post moves, pivot moves, jump shot, 3 point shooting, driving to the basket, aerial moves, endurance to keep it up 48 minutes, stealing the ball, running backwards, stopping on a dime and exploding forward on each play, spinning, man there's more in the NBA and it takes more. That's why in high school you have to try out for the basketball team, but football you can walk on. Football (not the NFL) can find a use for you even if you ain't an athlete, basketball (unless you have a lot of height) you have to have skills to be playing in the game.

2 or 3 WR's, 1 or 2 RB's, 1 or 2 TE's, possibly a QB depending on his mobility, 2 corners, maybe a nickel, 2 safeties, 3 or 4 linebackers. 2 DE's....how did you only count to 4? The whole defense showcases their athetlicism. The only exceptions may be the DT's.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So everyone missed the post of a Offensive Lineman CFL player agility and lateral quickness ? on Kevin Durant who could run by or get by him?
  • bow to royalty
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    So everyone missed the post of a Offensive Lineman CFL player agility and lateral quickness ? on Kevin Durant who could run by or get by him?

They don't hear you though. I'd take the top 10 NFL athletes over the top 10 NBA athletes in Olympic style competition. NFL players are bigger, faster, and stronger. NBA players can run longer...that seems to be the only advantage.
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you probably missed the part where it was said kevin durant could perform at high levels for a longer period of time though
  • bow to royalty
    nycest_1 wrote: »
    you probably missed the part where it was said kevin durant could perform at high levels for a longer period of time though

Haha, this again. So Endurance>>>Strength + speed + agility + jumping ability? Hell no.

There's a reason Lebron's been a physical phenomenon in the NBA for over a decade, but players like Vernon Davis are just another dude in the NFL. That elite level of athleticism is more common in the NFL. The most elusive (agile) NBA players aren't as elusive as Reggie Bush/Shady McCoy/Darren Sproles/etc. The fastest NBA players aren't as fast as Demps/CJ2K/Jamaal Charles/etc.

Like I said before, Lebron is an athletic beast, but his athleticism is magnified by going against less athletic competition. The fact that he has been a never before seen ? of athleticism in the NBA, shows that it's a less athletic league. In the NFL people wouldn't be in awe of his athleticism for 10 years, because there are more like him.
  • nycest_1

Haha, this again. So Endurance>>>Strength + speed + agility + jumping ability? Hell no.

There's a reason Lebron's been a physical phenomenon in the NBA for over a decade, but players like Vernon Davis are just another dude in the NFL. That elite level of athleticism is more common in the NFL. The most elusive (agile) NBA players aren't as elusive as Reggie Bush/Shady McCoy/Darren Sproles/etc. The fastest NBA players aren't as fast as Demps/CJ2K/Jamaal Charles/etc.

Like I said before, Lebron is an athletic beast, but his athleticism is magnified by going against less athletic competition. The fact that he has been a never before seen ? of athleticism in the NBA, shows that it's a less athletic league. In the NFL people wouldn't be in awe of his athleticism for 10 years, because there are more like him.

if you are a good athlete for 3 years then crippled for the rest of your life, how are you a better athlete than a guy who does it for 10 years and goes on to live healthy?
    you are making an argument that the nfl has better athletes because they can do short burst exercises they train for. but nba athletes train for long periods of exercise.
    to you a person who can lift 350lbs for 3 reps is stronger than a guy who can lift 300 lbs for 10 reps.
    that doesn't make any sense
  • nycest_1

and the nba has strength +speed + agility + jumping ability AND endurance.
    you just made my argument for me
  • nujerz84

i like to see Kevin Durant wear a flack jacket in 90 plus degree weather for 60 minutes (as opposed to 48) or in winter storms/rainy weather then tell me he will perform at high level for a longer period. Lebron is better athlete than Durant you saw what happen in Game 1 in the finals. Football players play in high heat conditions every year throw in the uniforms (if its a dark color uniform) that adds more heat.

Or perhaps you missed the point the guy in that clips was not in the NFL or played at big time football college school. I gurantee Durant would quit first simply due to him getting thrown and knocked on his ass every play.
  • bow to royalty

and the nba has strength +speed + agility + jumping ability AND endurance.
    you just made my argument for me

NBA players are weaker, slower, less agile, and can't jump as high. Their only advantage is endurance.
  • nujerz84
    edited August 2014
    Basketball and Soccer are two sports were being highly athletic are not really necessary to learn/master the technical skill sets of those sports it helps but not required.

You can be the fastest, quickest, jump highest, strongest and have greatest endurance of any person in the world won't mean ? on the basketball court if you can't dribble or shoot skill sets that have little to do with athleticism. Yet that same person will be able to find a place on a football team.

You have players in football in high school and college whose position and recruitment is simply listed as Athletes. You don't have that in basketball.

Nevermind that you routinely have Track and Field Olympic level athletes playing football in the NFL and not in the NBA.

• bow to royalty
    edited August 2014

if you are a good athlete for 3 years then crippled for the rest of your life, how are you a better athlete than a guy who does it for 10 years and goes on to live healthy?
    you are making an argument that the nfl has better athletes because they can do short burst exercises they train for. but nba athletes train for long periods of exercise.
    to you a person who can lift 350lbs for 3 reps is stronger than a guy who can lift 300 lbs for 10 reps.

Nobody's talkin about lifetime conditioning. I'm not trying to find Barry Sanders and Patrick Ewing to see who's still in better shape. And that's not the argument I'm making, because I took endurance into consideration. I'm saying NFL players are stronger, faster, more agile, and even jump higher (which should be an NBA advantage). So, the NFL wins in those 4 categories, the NBA wins in 1.
  • nycest_1

Nobody's talkin about lifetime conditioning. I'm not trying to find Barry Sanders and Patrick Ewing to see who's still in better shape. And that's not the argument I'm making, because I took endurance into consideration. I'm saying NFL players are stronger, faster, more agile, and even jump higher (which should be an NBA advantage). So, the NFL wins in those 4 categories, the NBA wins in 1.

they dont jump higher, some are faster. they train to be stronger because the sport requires it. strength isn't athleticism but the same way you count out endurance then you should count out strength because each sport trains for each respectively.

if it were an athletic competition the nfl players would gas out in the first few rounds of competition

• Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nba players are way more athletic.Vince wilfork fat ass couldnt last 2 seconds in the nba stronger don't mean more athletic that's all the nfl has on the nba.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kendrick perkins could out sprint most linemen lol
  • nycest_1
    Beta wrote: »
    kendrick perkins could out sprint most linemen lol

he could mos def beat them running a mile though.
    lol what use is athleticism if it can't be sustained?
  • nujerz84

they dont jump higher, some are faster. they train to be stronger because the sport requires it. strength isn't athleticism but the same way you count out endurance then you should count out strength because each sport trains for each respectively.

if it were an athletic competition the nfl players would gas out in the first few rounds of competition

lol at this lay off the ? .

you do know, many NFL players competed in various Track and Field events in college and could have at the Olympics... Or the fact in the past every time they had battle of the stars events called Superstars it is the NFL players that ? on NBA and usually won the events.

There no NBA player that in the same realm of athlete as Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders.
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • bow to royalty

They do jump higher. I can back up my claim with the NBA and NFL combine numbers for standing verticals. You back up yours with...? It's rare as hell for a NBA player to break 40 inches. Groups of NFL players do it every year. The top standing vertical at the NBA combine was 36.5 this year. I don't think that's even top 20 at the NFL combine.

Most NFL players are faster. And when did I count out endurance? I just pointed out it was the only category the NBA won in, I never downplayed it being important.

The bold is ridiculous. These are still conditioned professional athletes. A decent number of them were college track stars. A lot of people are in here acting like most NFL players can't even run a mile. True there are NFL players with little endurance, but it's not the majority. There are a gang of NBA players with low strength, like there are NFL players with low endurance.
  • bow to royalty

lol at this lay off the ? .

you do know, many NFL players competed in various Track and Field events in college and could have at the Olympics... Or the fact in the past every time they had battle of the stars events called Superstars it is the NFL players that ? on NBA and usually won the events.

There no NBA player that in the same realm of athlete as Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders.

True. Bo and Deion performed well at the top tier in 2 major sports. I don't know any basketball players that have done that. Maybe there are and I don't know them, though. And Michael Jordan doesn't count.
  • nycest_1

They do jump higher. I can back up my claim with the NBA and NFL combine numbers for standing verticals. You back up yours with...? It's rare as hell for a NBA player to break 40 inches. Groups of NFL players do it every year. The top standing vertical at the NBA combine was 36.5 this year. I don't think that's even top 20 at the NFL combine.

Most NFL players are faster. And when did I count out endurance? I just pointed out it was the only category the NBA won in, I never downplayed it being important.

The bold is ridiculous. These are still conditioned professional athletes. A decent number of them were college track stars. A lot of people are in here acting like most NFL players can't even run a mile. True there are NFL players with little endurance, but it's not the majority. There are a gang of NBA players with low strength, like there are NFL players with low endurance.

i guess a standing vertical test is something they do in athletic competion now?
    its a test that measures short burst strength. we've already established that nba players do not work out for strength while nfl players do.
    but i guess you saw some stats and just figured it was true. for instance james white dunking from the freethrow line between his legs ? on any vertical jump test, but its not a sports science test so i guess you dont count it.
    and i'm not downplaying the track and field but most events nfl players compete in are still short burst events. I admittedly used hyperbole on the length of an nfl athletes endurance but if running less than 100 yards puts most of them under an oxygen mask, then the proof exists that they aren't athletically competing with nba players in any tests that measure endurance.

and as far as 2 sport athletes like bo and dion, you guys can't be serious implying baseball is a highly athletic sport. but if you are, check the facts that nba players have been drafted to the mlb plenty of times, they just commit to one sport.
    if they had a schedule that allowed them to play less than 20 games then i'm sure they'd love to play in the off season in a slow easy game like baseball
  • nujerz84
    I'm convinced NYcest either a dumb ? or just trolling with these statements.
  • momanpr100
    momanpr100 Members Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    People in here really underestimate nflplayers endurance. There are plentyof breaks in basketball just like in the nfl. In the nfl they go full speed every play with equipment on and against the elements. They don't go full speed every play in the nba. nfl training is more rigorous than nba training, so they are just as or more conditioned than Your average nba player.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Athleticism:
    Athleticism is the ability to execute athletic movements at optimum speed with precision, style and grace in the context of the sport or activity.. It is easy to see when someone has it.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    http://www.topendsports.com/fitness/sports-athleticism.htm
    Sport Specific Athleticism

What is athleticism? The term athleticism encompasses all the attributes that make up a successful sports person. It is different from fitness - many people can be fit, for example having good endurance, speed, power, strength, but they may not necessarily be athletic. In addition to the basic physical components of fitness are other sporting attributes such as body control, decision making and reaction time, which as a whole makes a person more 'athletic' and subsequently a successful sports person.

In an interesting exercise by 'Page 2' on ESPN, they decided to once-and-for-all determine which of the world's sports is the most demanding. They analyzed 60 sports and got experts in their field to rank them (see full ranking list) based on the ten skills listed below that they determined make up athleticism. From this ranking list, we were able to determine which sports were rated highest for each of these individual components of athleticism.

Endurance — which sports are rated highest in terms of endurance.
    Strength — highest ranking strength sports.
    Power — highest ranking sports for power.
    Speed — highest ranking sports for speed.
    Agility — highest ranking sports for agility
    Flexibility — highest ranking sports in terms of flexibility
    Hand-Eye Coordination — sports requiring good hand-eye coordination.
    Nerve — the sports ranked highest for 'the fear factor'
    Durability — sports whose athletes need to constantly withstand physical punishment
    Analytic Aptitude — top sports needing the ability to evaluate and react to strategic situations