Interview with Mark Henry on Why The WWE Hasn't Had More Black Champions

Options
sobek
sobek Members Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in Off The Turn Buckle
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/17/racist-wwe-mark-henry-silverback_n_5596593.html
In the 62 years since the WWE began, there has only been one black heavyweight champion: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, who is half black, half Samoan, and the disturbing fact has recently gained national media attention.

Mark Henry and Koko B. Ware, two of the most famous black wrestlers in the history of the WWE, joined HuffPost Live on Thursday to discuss the topic. Henry, who still wrestles under the WWE banner, recalled being given the nickname "Silverback" in 2007, in reference to a silverback gorilla.

"A lot of people remember the Silverback thing," Henry told host Marc Lamont Hill. "Honestly, I could not do it. I told them: 'I can't do that. I got two little black kids at home.'"

Henry mostly defended the WWE, however. He maintained the company and its scriptwriters have no racist tendencies toward its wrestlers.

"Black culture, we dance and sing. We're entertainers," Henry said. "James Brown said it best: the things we are make people want to be like us."

Full Video Here: http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/racism-wwe-wrestling-/53c01be002a760131f001011

lamot-tap-dancing-o.gif

My ? really want to keep them checks coming and get in the HOF

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Henry, who still wrestles under the WWE banner, recalled being given the nickname "Silverback" in 2007, in reference to a silverback gorilla.
    Smh
    I forgot all about that ? .
  • jono
    Options
    Mark got owned. He was being defensive wen some of that ? is indefensible.

The truth is that WWE needs to evolve in terms of using stereotypical characters.

All that said I think the statement from Kane was about 2/3s correct. Wrestling brings a lot of different races and ethnic groups together but to say they all have the same opportunity to make it is factually false.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • mikelewis
    mikelewis Members Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ......didn't he win the World Heavyweight Title like 3 years ago??
  • sobek
    edited July 2014
    Options
    mikelewis wrote: »
    ......didn't he win the World Heavyweight Title like 3 years ago??

Yeah, he did. But that was only because Micheal Hayes had called him a ? and WWE was trying to do damage control when the public found out about it and thought it would be good PR for the company to have him as WHC. So basically, Hayes's racism is the only reason Henry ever touched the title.

Similar things have happened before in WCW with claims of racism/racial discrimination law suits that resulted in Ron Simmons and Booker T winning the WCW title.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They had truth taking Newport breaks during the match, falls out of chair.....I'm done with WWE
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited July 2014
    Options
    This won't change until Vince steps down or you know what.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Didn't Bobby Lashley quit because of racism

EDIT-, yep, i just read @waterproof thread
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    You know I thought I posted this
    Dunno if its the same video.

Mark Henry talks about racism in the WWE: http://youtu.be/3e_d4fHirSw
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i crease whenever they (still) announce this guy as 'the strongest man in the world.

how can you say that with a straight face just by looking at his physical appearance is beyond me.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    lazypakman wrote: »
    i crease whenever they (still) announce this guy as 'the strongest man in the world.

how can you say that with a straight face just by looking at his physical appearance is beyond me.

He technically was at one point. Or almost.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lazypakman wrote: »

http://www.criticalbench.com/Mark-Henry.htm

• jono
    Options
    You know I thought I posted this
    Dunno if its the same video.

Mark Henry talks about racism in the WWE: http://youtu.be/3e_d4fHirSw
    This was much better, but it was also a much more loose conversation.

Here he says a lot of the black athletic guys want to play other sports and not go into wrestling, which is the same thing MLB says. I don't know whether it's true or not but it's something that should be considered.

Black boys aren't going into boxing like they used to either, perhaps this has a lot to do with the availability of gyms and/or other necessary institutions that promote professional wrestling as a v
  • jono
    Options
    *viabke occupation.
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The mishandling of Ron Killings career upsets me every time I think about it.
    Him and Monty brown
  • scottsteiner
    scottsteiner Members Posts: 215 ✭✭
    Options
    i agree dat r-truth couldve been used better along wit monty brown(marcus cor von)
    dam shame
  • Smokey Tha Bandit
    Smokey Tha Bandit Members Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Mark got owned. He was being defensive wen some of that ? is indefensible.

The truth is that WWE needs to evolve in terms of using stereotypical characters.

All that said I think the statement from Kane was about 2/3s correct. Wrestling brings a lot of different races and ethnic groups together but to say they all have the same opportunity to make it is factually false.

wow kane said that? he gives no ? . he also kinda looks like he'd be a bit on the racist side. or am I reading this wrong?
  • Mr. Rich Pryor
    Mr. Rich Pryor Members Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    ? neva ? a chance in wwe while tna has a brotha as world champ
    200_s.gif

not a good image huh wwe?
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dude said... "It's stereotypes but we entertainers... Black culture, we dance and sing. We're entertainers"

Speak for yourself, Silverback.
  • sobek
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Another thing I noticed too. When he said during his WHC push he was told something like "this is the first time we're trying anything like this, don't mess it up for people like you" Well, if it's really equal opportunity for all, then why is it necessary for him to be a credit to is race if he's not being viewed/defined by his race?

I also noticed when he sad that one day his kids will be working side by side with the McMahon kids which to me was almost like saying " Well, one day we'll be able to sit at the front of the bus with white folk. We just gotta be patient" FOH.

I like Mark and I think he actually seems like a cool dude in real life. But that big ? did a tap dance Sammy Davis Jr. would be proud of.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I always saw wrestling as having a nascar kind of fanbase
  • sobek
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »
    I always saw wrestling as having a nascar kind of fanbase

True, but I think most wrestling fans would have much less of a problem with a black champion(s) then the good ol' boys in the back at WWE.