So is Palestine a country?

Options
LUClEN
LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
In 2012 they were granted observer state status

But there are many people, a vocal majority of whom are Israel supporters, that deny Palestine's nationhood

From what I can tell creation of a country is completely arbitrary and on part dependent on whether or not other nations recognize yours

134 countries recognize Palestine however, so is it a country? On what grounds are the claims that there has never been a country called Palestine legitimate, if any?

Comments

• The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In reality it's more of a bunch of territories. It was a country before Israel snatched it and declared it theirs
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ive been there it was nice except the poverty, wall and checkpoints
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Was before the powers that be decided to give it to the jews.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    No it wasn't

It was part of the Ottoman empire before the British split it between the Jordanians, Palestinians and Jews
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No and it never was
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Palestine exists as a geographic region & as a sovereign state recognized by the UN......

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    It's recognized by over 100 countries as a country and by the United Nations as an observer entity. I consider it a territory under apartheid and under occupation by Israel.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    I doubt Palestine will become a nation in my lifetime, America supports Israel's apartheid system too much. By the time Palestine may have a chance to become a nation, Israel will have stolen so much of the land it may not even be worth being called a nation.
  • kingblaze84
    edited July 2014
    Options
    What's going on there is beyond horrible, shame on the country of Israel for its constant war crimes and shame on the cowards of DC in America for constantly supporting it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xxmh1Zsn0so
  • Alkinduz
    Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »
    No it wasn't

It was part of the Ottoman empire before the British split it between the Jordanians, Palestinians and Jews

so when the british ruled India, India wasnt loaded with Indians? Ottomanians ruled Egypt, no Egyptians in Egypt aswell?

The palestinians arent arabs, they speak their own dialects. Unless you consider the Sudan, Morocco etc arab as well...

doesnt make any sense fam.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    They speak Palestinian Arabic

India was not a country before 1947

A region simply being populated does not make it a country
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so whats the criteria?
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Alkinduz wrote: »
    The palestinians arent arabs, they speak their own dialects.
    the funny thing about this is that half the time, you have someone on the internet arguing for the MOST expansive definition of "Arab" possible.

that being said... Palestinians are considered an Arab ethnic group. there's just a distinction between them and other Arabs based on things like dialects.

• Alkinduz
    Options
    [
    janklow wrote: »
    The palestinians arent arabs, they speak their own dialects.
    the funny thing about this is that half the time, you have someone on the internet arguing for the MOST expansive definition of "Arab" possible.

that being said... Palestinians are considered an Arab ethnic group. there's just a distinction between them and other Arabs based on things like dialects.

I know lol, you and I had these same discussions years ago fam.

but yeah, there the natives.
  • Alkinduz
    Options
    They speak Palestinian Arabic

India was not a country before 1947

A region simply being populated does not make it a country

the new country of Kosovo, is recognized by a couple dozen nations as a country, the equal amount or more denies its existance as a nation.(well couple years ago, dont know bout it now)

Morocco was the first country that officially recognized the USA as a nation. Took years the for the world to recognize the US as a country.

in modern days, official recognizition and procedures via the UN are needed before a country is considered a counrty officially, however looking at Kosovo, individual countries can still not recognize a country as a country. In other words, ? can be subjective.

fact of the matter is that the palestinians are the natives and Israel are the colonizers. Just like with the british n the indians...
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    I know lol, you and I had these same discussions years ago fam.
    but yeah, there the natives.
    yeah, i wouldn't call them Arabs with the intent of saying it makes them non-native

• LUClEN
    Options
    That makes it a bit of a ridiculous defense then

An Israeli could say "Well Palestine isn't even a country"
    and they're right because it's based on recognition and Israel doesn't recognize Palestine

But I don't know anyone that would say North Korea or South Korea aren't countries just because they don't recognize each other

• Alkinduz
    Options
    That makes it a bit of a ridiculous defense then

An Israeli could say "Well Palestine isn't even a country"
    and they're right because it's based on recognition and Israel doesn't recognize Palestine

But I don't know anyone that would say North Korea or South Korea aren't countries just because they don't recognize each other

welcome to (international) politics vato. Serbia didnt recognize Kosovo for similair reasons Palestine and Israel dont recognize eachother.

Officially North and South Korea are at war(or in a truce now?) and technically there is no north or south korea since both nations didnt name their countries that way.

Im in Indonesia right now, several islands dont recognize the Indo government but arent recognized by countries/un worldwide as a nation, eventhough theyre indie.

Morocco as far as I know still doesnt recognize the Western Sahara(got like 70k soldiers posted up at the border wall). The world doesnt recognize the western sahara as well as a country, look at a map and look at the weird space under Morocco....