Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    Most people don't know ? about boxing

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Ali
    More technical? ? does that even mean?

Well there are Boxers and there are Brawlers. I'm guessing that he's saying that Ali was more of a Boxer and Tyson was more of a Brawler. But anyone who calls Tyson a Brawler or suggests that he's more in line with that type of fighter doesn't really know anything.

Just for an added bonus. Watch the highlights for the fight at 3:10. Tell me another Heavyweight not named Ali that could do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2RxpsS639I
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More technical? ? does that even mean?

Well there are Boxers and there are Brawlers. I'm guessing that he's saying that Ali was more of a Boxer and Tyson was more of a Brawler. But anyone who calls Tyson a Brawler or suggests that he's more in line with that type of fighter doesn't really know anything.

Just for an added bonus. Watch the highlights for the fight at 3:10. Tell me another Heavyweight not named Ali that could do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2RxpsS639I

Yeah....i know that but i wanted him to respond to back up his analysis. Instead of just trying to sound like he knows what he's talking about by throwing out buzzwords
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    word acting as if Muhammad ali was conventional in any sense
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ali
    I use to spar with Tyson back in the day. He not better then Ali.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Ali
    Ali really is the greatest athlete ever. I know Jordan exists, but I'm going with ALI. Holyfield fought Foreman and Tyson and said the hardest he'd ever been hit was by Foreman. He said without a doubt Foreman was the hardest hitting boxer he ever fought. Now, this is Foreman 30 years out his prime (as opposed to Tyson and Holyfield 6 years out their prime) and Foreman outta shape and not even trying to get in shape. Tyson had more power than Ali, but Ali during the last 10 years of his career couldn't even use one of his hands due to all the bones that were shattered. Doctors told him to quit fighting but he was convinced he could beat Heavyweight champs like Foreman with one hand. When it comes to smarts in the ring, endurance, power, speed, creativity, guts, promoting oneself, finesse in making it look good, foot work, blocking, ducking, sight, tenacity it goes to Ali. Tyson could have knocked Ali out, but if I had to bet money on who would win I think the combination of Ali's skills would've made Ali win 7 fights to Tyson and Tyson probably winning 3 fights out of 10 fights
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ali
    Dumb ? question
  • The Lonious Monk
    Ali
    luke1733 wrote: »
    Ali really is the greatest athlete ever. I know Jordan exists, but I'm going with ALI. Holyfield fought Foreman and Tyson and said the hardest he'd ever been hit was by Foreman. He said without a doubt Foreman was the hardest hitting boxer he ever fought. Now, this is Foreman 30 years out his prime (as opposed to Tyson and Holyfield 6 years out their prime) and Foreman outta shape and not even trying to get in shape. Tyson had more power than Ali, but Ali during the last 10 years of his career couldn't even use one of his hands due to all the bones that were shattered. Doctors told him to quit fighting but he was convinced he could beat Heavyweight champs like Foreman with one hand. When it comes to smarts in the ring, endurance, power, speed, creativity, guts, promoting oneself, finesse in making it look good, foot work, blocking, ducking, sight, tenacity it goes to Ali. Tyson could have knocked Ali out, but if I had to bet money on who would win I think the combination of Ali's skills would've made Ali win 7 fights to Tyson and Tyson probably winning 3 fights out of 10 fights

None of this really supports the conclusion you're trying to make. Tyson was never the hardest hitter out there. Hell, people who trained him said that it wasn't that he the best power, he just had flawless punch mechanics. I don't know why people always want to break Tyson down to just power. He had that, but he had near flawless offensive and defensive technique too. You can't really say that about Foreman. So Ali beating Foreman doesn't really mean any thing in regards to how he'd do against Tyson.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Ali
    I actually change my mind. I think that Peek-a-Boo style would give Ali trouble. It was said that Ali had trouble with ? D'Amato fighters, and none of his fighters mastered that style to the level Tyson did. None of those games Ali used to play would work on Tyson when he was in his prime. Dude's defense was ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_kbC36JESs
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    man that video is a thing of beauty
  • The Lonious Monk
    Ali
    man that video is a thing of beauty

It is. It honestly makes me want to find a boxing gym and give that style a shot. People always focus on Tyson's power. His defense was what made him a good fighter. I honestly can't think of any other fighting that good at slipping and evading punches. There are lots of fighters that pull that Ali ? where they chill on the outside of their opponents range and use good head movement to dodge, but who besides Tyson in the modern area basically did that while moving in on their opponent. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ali
    I voted Ali because of his footwork and fast hands but all it would is for one of those Tyson punches to land.