Wicca....and what you may or may not know about it.

Options
2»

Comments

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You are a representative of your belief systems and like how "pagans" were deemed evil and malicious even if it's against their beliefs if a few do evil they are all seen as such. That's the game of the world.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You are a representative of your belief systems and like how "pagans" were deemed evil and malicious even if it's against their beliefs if a few do evil they are all seen as such. That's the game of the world.

That's irrelevant to the comments I made. I was not discussing which belief system had the better followers. The person I quoted suggested the Wiccan belief system fostered the growth and knowledge and the Abrahamic faiths did not. I pointed out that fostering the growth of knowledge is a tenant of the Islam faith and was responsible for the resurgence of learning in the Western world.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yet another institution which values balance and self-discipline without limiting the human mind.

Better than Abraham's religions.

Umm if you don't believe the Abrahamic religions believe in self-discipline, then you know absolutely nothing about the Abrahamic religions.

Not only that but the spreading of knowledge was one of the major tenants of Islam. If not for Islam, there may not have been a Renaissance in Europe and a lot of the knowledge that had been developed in Ancient times would have been lost.

But it was Abraham religion primarily early christians that destroyed much of the knowledge in the first place.

There is a difference between something that Christians did and something that is supported by the Christian faith. There is nothing in the Bible that supports destroying scientific knowledge. So those Christians weren't acting according to the religious principles. They were acting according to their own desires to maintain power and deny the accomplisments of others. That is a result from bad human behavior not anything intrinisically tied to Christianity as a belief system.

Dont even need to respond to that because it's a myth . You cannot find one legitimate reliable source of anything of the such happening.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Then there isn't really that many Christians in history. Not too many follow the religion.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    Yet another institution which values balance and self-discipline without limiting the human mind.

Umm if you don't believe the Abrahamic religions believe in self-discipline, then you know absolutely nothing about the Abrahamic religions.

Not only that but the spreading of knowledge was one of the major tenants of Islam. If not for Islam, there may not have been a Renaissance in Europe and a lot of the knowledge that had been developed in Ancient times would have been lost.

But it was Abraham religion primarily early christians that destroyed much of the knowledge in the first place.

There is a difference between something that Christians did and something that is supported by the Christian faith. There is nothing in the Bible that supports destroying scientific knowledge. So those Christians weren't acting according to the religious principles. They were acting according to their own desires to maintain power and deny the accomplisments of others. That is a result from bad human behavior not anything intrinisically tied to Christianity as a belief system.

Dont even need to respond to that because it's a myth . You cannot find one legitimate reliable source of anything of the such happening.

You should have quoted the other person. I wasn't responding to the veracity of the claim that Christians were responsible for the destruction of Ancient knowledge. I was just point out that if they were, it had nothing to do with the Christian faith, and was more likely done as an attempt to maintain power and whitewash history.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    The Christian faith matters to Christians but not to others who aren't part of the faith. If the majority of Brazilians destroyed the Incas temples even if it's against the law the present Brazilians did in fact destroyed it.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited August 2014
    Options
    The Christian faith matters to Christians but not to others who aren't part of the faith. If the majority of Brazilians destroyed the Incas temples even if it's against the law the present Brazilians did in fact destroyed it.

Again, that's an irrelevant argument because we aren't discussing the actions of the followers of a belief system. We're discussing the values of the precepts of those systems. You cannot say a belief system is wrong if some of its followers go out and do something that is not sanctioned or promoted by that system You seem to be having a problem differentiating between a religion and a belief system. We're discussing the belief system which is just the ideals, principles, and values that make up the philosophy of that particular system. You keep on throwing up the actions of people who subscribe to the religion which can and does oftentimes stray very far from the core belief system.

Anyway your first sentence is wrong. I don't consider myself a Christian, but I do consider myself a follower of Christ's teachings. And I'm not the only person like that.
  • Ajackson17
    Options

Again, that's an irrelevant argument because we aren't discussing the actions of the followers of a belief system. We're discussing the values of the precepts of those systems. You cannot say a belief system is wrong if some of its followers go out and do something that is not sanctioned or promoted by that system You seem to be having a problem differentiating between a religion and a belief system. We're discussing the belief system which is just the ideals, principles, and values that make up the philosophy of that particular system. You keep on throwing up the actions of people who subscribe to the religion which can and does oftentimes stray very far from the core belief system.

Anyway your first sentence is wrong. I don't consider myself a Christian, but I do consider myself a follower of Christ's teachings. And I'm not the only person like that.

Yahshua beliefs are cool to those who are willing to follow them. So in other words you are saying majority who called themselves Christians aren't Christians.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    LOL damn this has me laughing for some reason...I knew some Irish kids who were into it, they did seem kind of odd
    i do what i can

• Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »

How many times is this lie going to be used. It was a Christian King who started to bring the world out of the dark age. Charlemagne the Great

http://www.suppressedhistories.net/secrethistory/hypatia.html

Got to take in the good and the bad. Charlemagne did that in Europe using the knowledge of the moors and presenting them as Christian. So no he didn't. It was North AND West African knowledge that brought Europe out of darkness.

Moors and Hebrews are the same people
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You gotta understand the difference between political and religious. Its not cut and dry. Being a Moor doesn't mean you follow Islam, just like being Chinese doesn't make you a Buddhist.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Judah Back wrote: »
    You gotta understand the difference between political and religious. Its not cut and dry. Being a Moor doesn't mean you follow Islam, just like being Chinese doesn't make you a Buddhist.

Who cares they are all black.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Yahshua beliefs are cool to those who are willing to follow them. So in other words you are saying majority who called themselves Christians aren't Christians.

People who call themselves Christians are Christians. I'm just saying that the a lot of Christians don't follow the spirit of the faith. They usually are more concerned with following the tenets of their particular denomination or church or preacher. And those don't always match up with Jesus' teachings.