SpikeTV Canceling TNA Impact

Options
genocidecutter
genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
Following the breaking news that Spike TV will not be renewing their contract with Impact Wrestling, F4WOnline has confirmed that Spike will indeed pass on a contract renewal.

F4W is saying although both sides are claiming they won’t renew the contract, it was ultimately Spike’s decision to do so.

TNA is saying they are still in negotiations with the network, and an earlier report stated Dixie Carter was telling people they would leave Spike due to a lack of commitment from the network.

Our very own Mike Killam was the first to report on the Spike cancelling Impact rumored report, with new details continuing to come out over the past 24 hours. We will continue to update the situation as more details are revealed.
wrestlezone.com/news/497033-impact-cancellation

Comments

• genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I really hope this is a hoax.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    - WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross wrote the following on his website about the TNA situation with Spike TV:

"TMZ reported Sunday night that they would be ending their relationship with TNA Impact when their current rights fee arrangement ends supposedly in October.

Obviously, this is a blow to TNA but they have a weekly audience of approximately 1M viewers which will interest some cable networks. The question is can TNA negotiate a deal that will financially keep them in business in today's entertainment world with this quick turnaround?

WWE got less of a rights fee from NBC/Universal to stay on the USA Network than many predicted so one could assume another cable entity might not be willing to pay top dollar for TNA with the current perception that broadcasters apparently have regarding the genre.

One would assume/hope TNA finds a new cable home and they move their fan base with them. If not, Viacom's Spike Network is in the same position TBS was in when Jim Crockett Promotions found themselves in financial duress. TBS bought out JCP and WCW aired on TBS & TNT for years. The question is does Viacom want to own a pro wrestling franchise to go with their newly acquired MMA franchise Bellator?

It will be interesting to see how all the involved parties spin this matter come Monday morning. If WWE's scheduled financial, conference call doesn't go well later this week especially as it relates to the number if subscribers currently paying for the WWE Network this will be one of the most news worthy and potentially negative weeks the business has experienced in years. Hopefully the week will end better than it's started.

As in any major development such as this, opportunistic entrepreneurs will circle their wagons to both fill the programming void at Spike and to potentially create national, cable TV competition for WWE.

I'm hoping the wrestling fans win at the end of the day and that there will be competition within the timeless genre that has apparently come to another crossroads that will necessitate change which might actually be a good thing."
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I really dunno if TNA can find another network, maybe one of the 24/7 sports networks that needs some more content? NBC sports network, CBS sports network, fox sports 1?
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Angle and The Dudley's need to come home
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheBoyRo wrote: »
    I really dunno if TNA can find another network, maybe one of the 24/7 sports networks that needs some more content? NBC sports network, CBS sports network, fox sports 1?

That's what I said. Their only shot is if one of these sports networks pick it up and put money into it. Otherwise it's over and it will be getting sold off.

ROH got some bad news recently too as the Ustream is dropping their iPPV service that ROH has been using for some time now and they have no television.

All this in conjunction with the WWE network hurting for content is either blessing or just really bad for the business in the United States. It could be a blessing if WWE were willing to allow TNA and ROH time slots on the network. It creates diversity of wrestling content and it will get fans of both brands to buy the network. Everyone wins, WWE gets more content for their network, while ROH and TNA will get increased exposure.

If it works then it'll open doors for more international expansion for all parties involved.

• DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    jono wrote: »

That's what I said. Their only shot is if one of these sports networks pick it up and put money into it. Otherwise it's over and it will be getting sold off.

ROH got some bad news recently too as the Ustream is dropping their iPPV service that ROH has been using for some time now and they have no television.

All this in conjunction with the WWE network hurting for content is either blessing or just really bad for the business in the United States. It could be a blessing if WWE were willing to allow TNA and ROH time slots on the network. It creates diversity of wrestling content and it will get fans of both brands to buy the network. Everyone wins, WWE gets more content for their network, while ROH and TNA will get increased exposure.

If it works then it'll open doors for more international expansion for all parties involved.

The thing is with WWEs ego you cant truly run them as separate entities after you own them. Sooner or later they will change whatever the ? fans of that particular company likes about them to appease a WWE crowd that already dislikes any other wrestling company nit WwE (think Bagwell vs Booker T). Both ROH n TNA will become WWECW 2.0. That ? ended ugly.
  • Broddie
    Options

It could be a blessing if WWE were willing to allow TNA and ROH time slots on the network. It creates diversity of wrestling content and it will get fans of both brands to buy the network. Everyone wins, WWE gets more content for their network, while ROH and TNA will get increased exposure.

That's an amazing idea. If WWE truly wants to operate a real network Vince won't let pride get in his way and do something like that because it will be extremely progressive and great for the business. You get more eyes on ROH, TNA, PWG etc. then eventually New Japan, Pro Wrestling NOAH, AAA, CMLL etc. and at the same time since it increases exposure by the millions on a global level those same people watch all the WWE stuff too and you bring a lot more revenue to the pro wrestling industry.

Something has got to give cause the way things are looking even WWE is in danger of having only another two decades left. It's a real shame but nobody outside the wrestling fanbase likes wrestling anymore so we might as well all support the industry in full.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Viacom just announced that they do not discuss ongoing Negotiations.

Dixie also stated they are still negotiating
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

It could be a blessing if WWE were willing to allow TNA and ROH time slots on the network. It creates diversity of wrestling content and it will get fans of both brands to buy the network. Everyone wins, WWE gets more content for their network, while ROH and TNA will get increased exposure.

That's an amazing idea. If WWE truly wants to operate a real network Vince won't let pride get in his way and do something like that because it will be extremely progressive and great for the business. You get more eyes on ROH, TNA, PWG etc. then eventually New Japan, Pro Wrestling NOAH, AAA, CMLL etc. and at the same time since it increases exposure by the millions on a global level those same people watch all the WWE stuff too and you bring a lot more revenue to the pro wrestling industry.

Something has got to give cause the way things are looking even WWE is in danger of having only another two decades left. It's a real shame but nobody outside the wrestling fanbase likes wrestling anymore so we might as well all support the industry in full.
    You musta stopped watching wrestling from 06_09, when WWE tried to rebirth ECW as a separate brand.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Gone back to Turner.. Or if they're really in danger, Puffy need to gone ahead and scoop them up for Revolt. I think them going to a sports network would be awesome too.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

You musta stopped watching wrestling from 06_09, when WWE tried to rebirth ECW as a separate brand.

I stopped watching from 2002 to 2012 so yeah I have no experience with any of that so called hot garbage that was WWECW.
  • Broddie
    Options
    All I'm saying is if Vince truly wants to be a network exec he would give them a network deal not buy out majority stock of the company or anything like that. But it would require ego checking of massive and impossible proportions to realize how much more money he would make that way. Automatically the subscriber problem is solved and he could finally reach billionaire status and stay there but pride won't let him see otherwise. End of the day he's just a carny and not a businessman.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The thing is with WWEs ego you cant truly run them as separate entities after you own them. Sooner or later they will change whatever the ? fans of that particular company likes about them to appease a WWE crowd that already dislikes any other wrestling company nit WwE (think Bagwell vs Booker T). Both ROH n TNA will become WWECW 2.0. That ? ended ugly.

Yeah that's true. WWE would have the rights of any other network and can ban certain things from their channel if they wanted but if I were a smaller promotion making changes is preferable to going out of business. People can't support a product they can't find.

If what happened 15 years ago happens again then we've got real issues. Letting Vince cannibalize your promotion isn't a good idea, but these smaller promotions have leverage now that ECW and WCW didn't have then...Vince needs fresh content to drive the network. He was just a content provider, he had nowhere to air Nitro or Thunder or ECW TV, but now he can control distribution, it's best to use that to your advantage.

Fans of companies like ROH won't buy the network if WWE eats them, in fact it just creates more jaded wrestling fans in general. That's already a big problem, I think even WWE sees that now and hopefully they make a decision they couldn't afford to make before and keep these companies afloat. It's better for everyone.
  • Broddie
    edited July 2014
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    Viacom just announced that they do not discuss ongoing Negotiations.

Dixie also stated they are still negotiating

Just read that on JR's blog too. He has the best and most realistic observations of any wrestling analyst regarding this "damage control".
    Jim Ross wrote:
    SPIKE/IMPACT WRESTLING THOUGHTS...JR'S 'SPIN.'

Crazy Monday on what could well be a unique week in the world of pro wrestling. Let's grill it.....

So, Sunday night TMZ reports that Spike TV isn't renewing their current TV rights fee arrangement with Impact Wrestling. I assume that to be true based on how TMZ presented the story but I'm on the outside (luckily) looking in. Today TNA/Impact says that negotiations are still on going with Spike while Spike says that they don't comment on "on going negotiations."

I knew the 'spin' on this matter would be prevalent once I heard the news Sunday night and whether or not this info is 'spin' or merely an update to settle things down, I don't know.

In the world of negotiations, Spike may simply be trying to pay a much lower rights fee to TNA than in the past and have made their position clear by saying that we are not renewing the deal at the current numbers.

Could Spike be thinking like TBS, Turner Broadcasting Systems, when Jim Crockett Promotions found themselves in financial trouble and TBS bought WCW and perhaps be looking to add a pro wrestling brand to their list of properties? Spike/Viacom recently bought out MMA company Bellator....which definitely needs a new name...BTW.

Those would be two fresh, first run programs that appeal to a primary male demo and that seems to be the Spike profile or so it seems to me based on their current programming more often than not.

Why would Spike want to get rid of one of the few shows on their network that garners over 1M viewers per week in prime time? That makes no sense to me but Spike negotiating to keep TNA at a lower dollar does.

Every once in a while many businesses have to hit the reset button and essentially start over with their infrastructure. Simply from what I hear it seems as if that is a timely thing to do for TNA and that process seemingly has already started. 'Crisis Management' was practiced daily by my department in WWE back in the day because we were always only a key injury, etc or two away from being in a dilemma.

Many of today's corporations are too fat and produce too much waste including having multiple people seemingly doing the same tasks. WWE has stated that they are reducing their overhead in a significant way much like we did in the mid 90's and that down sizing seemed to work out well for WWE over time.

Even though the news of TNA 'leaving' Spike is startling to many, especially those that take care of their families via the monies that they earn from TNA, I have a gut feeling that this is a matter that is still in play and that there well could be other cable networks who will have an interest in a TV show that 's first run and can bring a solid audience with them if they change networks.

The key to that last sentence is IF Impact changes networks.

Tomorrow night, Tuesday, at 9 pm eastern my first of a two part interview with Sting drops on podcastone.com and iTunes on our Ross Report Podcast. I recorded this with Sting a few weeks ago and it's a two parter with part 2 dropping next Tuesday evening.

Also tomorrow night I will be catching up with Vince Russo, whose name has been linked to the ills of the TNA/Spike relationship. I am looking forward to catching up with Vince and talking Attitude Era Wrestling and more including TNA for a future podcast.

Finally WWE has their scheduled financial conference call set for this Thursday which will likely include an update on the WWE Network which continues to be the top priority within WWE. That particular call is greatly anticipated and for WWE's sake I hope that the number of subscribers to the network are growing significantly.

Lastly, the wrestling business needs to catch a break and get it's feet squarely back under them. Producing better and more believable, quality, athletic entertainment is a good place to start as we are seeing the results of bad acting, never ending promos and short, meaningless wrestling matches that many fans are not enjoying with the passion that was once the order of the day. Attendance at live events is down in many instances and that was and will always be one of the prime indicators of how popular the specific brand is to their fan base.

I'm pulling for the 'boys'....all of them!

Boomer Sooner!

J.R.

@JRsBBQ
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    How's the Ross Report podcast...is it worth subscribing to?
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    I want Heyman n Ross to buy TNA and have them on a separate Network n really give WWE a fire up their ? ..

anyways Ross says the same thing I said in the news thread. If TNA dies, wrestling dies. ROH andveven WWE is currently in struggle in terms if plans. This is a bad time for pro wrestling as a whole.

This is why I'm a firm believer of supporting all the shows the best way you can, whether its video games, merchandise, going to shows, and etc etc.
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If TNA or ROH were on the WWE network, they would have to do separate shows, meaning different arenas, and I don't see WWE expending that kind of cost. 'The WWE universe' may be too conditioned to be opened minded to another promotion.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
    Options
    twizza 77 wrote: »
    If TNA or ROH were on the WWE network, they would have to do separate shows, meaning different arenas, and I don't see WWE expending that kind of cost. 'The WWE universe' may be too conditioned to be opened minded to another promotion.

We want ROH and TNA what it is now and that's to be a separate entity. Plus TNA would never sell to WWE anyway. Also, if that did happen WWE would water that down like hell.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
    Options
    SPIKE isn't going to cut off TNA because they need a wrestling show on their network. Plus TNA draws viewers and it would be stupid to get rid of the highest rated show. With Spike being a combat channel I can't see TNA leaving. Unless they want to fill Boxing into that 2 hour gap.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    twizza 77 wrote: »

And true wrestling heads will leave TNA and ROH with the quickness
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How's the Ross Report podcast...is it worth subscribing to?
    I like it but it can be boring at times. Stone Cold's podcast is my favorite though
  • Mr. Rich Pryor
    Mr. Rich Pryor Members Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    from smith hart twitter to russo yall:

Congratulations @pyroballyhoo not only did u murder my brother but you've successfully killed 2 wrestling companies.I have a challenge for u

BbRy2ao.gif
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    from smith hart twitter to russo yall:

Congratulations @pyroballyhoo not only did u murder my brother but you've successfully killed 2 wrestling companies.I have a challenge for u

BbRy2ao.gif

he offered to fight Russo on TNA's final failed PPV, Bound For Glory, and the proceeds go to charity, and hashtagged "no pole matches"

then he said if nothing good comes from TNA's destruction with the loss of jobs and such, at least donate to a worthy cause.