Do overhead stadium lights contribute to athletes knee injuries?

indyman87
indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
In this video called How Much Does a Shadow Weight it says that when light hits us from above it actually pushes the body and other objects. According to the video when we are under the sun and our shadow casts we weight more. The amount an object is pushed is very, very small but it's still something that makes me wonder if it has any affect at all? And considering how often that athletes go up and down the field under stadium lights, I can still see it having some kind of affect over time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do1lm9IevYE

Comments

• Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • indyman87
    LOL. Well I did say it was probable. jesus. tough crowd.
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Rum Middleton
    Rum Middleton Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    indyman87 wrote: »
    LOL. Well I did say it was probable. jesus. tough crowd.

[img]http://www.picgifs.com/reaction-gifs/reaction-gifs/? -you-u-mad/picgifs-? -you-u-mad-8451226.gif[/img][img][/img]
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Possibly but how much would it be?
    Seems negligible
  • UinitiatedMgt
    UinitiatedMgt Members Posts: 161 ✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Uses overhead stadium lights instead of the Sun.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • indyman87
    Trashboat wrote: »
    Possibly but how much would it be?
    Seems negligible

Yes I agree. But I wonder when you jump up and down does the body weight more after each consecutive jump? As you know body weight affects the knees.

http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/injury-pain/jumpers-knee.html

In most cases, the inflammation is a result of overdoing an activity such as running, jumping and kicking, all of which place continuous stress on the patellar tendon when it is not strong enough to handle the excessive load. Specifically, it happens when there is repeated impact of the leg against a hard surface when the knee is partially flexed (bent).

“This overuse causes very small tears in the tendon leading to inflammation and pain,” adds Lewis. This condition can deteriorate by further tearing or degeneration of the tendon, and in extreme cases, the patellar tendon can sustain enough damage to cause a complete rupture.”

The example given in the video says that the city of Chicago weighs 30 pounds more under the sun that's a very,very insignificant amount however the city is not bouncing up and down like basketball players. I wonder if you did a test of a basketball bouncing up and down under the lights would it weigh more after each consecutive bounce? Also according to Einstein's theory of relativity gravity affects light...

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/961102.html

Enter Albert Einstein. In 1915 he proposed the theory of general relativity. General relativity explained, in a consistent way, how gravity affects light. We now knew that while photons have no mass, they do possess momentum (so your statement about light not affecting matter is incorrect). We also knew that photons are affected by gravitational fields not because photons have mass, but because gravitational fields (in particular, strong gravitational fields) change the shape of space-time. The photons are responding to the curvature in space-time, not directly to the gravitational field. Space-time is the four-dimensional "space" we live in -- there are 3 spatial dimensions (think of X,Y, and Z) and one time dimension.

http://www.podcastpedia.org/podcasts/1056/Public-Lecture-Podcast/episodes/96/The-effect-of-gravity-on-light-Mark-Birkinshaw#-1

When a basketball player or any other athlete jumps up they're of course are pulled down by gravity. Still I agree that the amount is probably very insignificant.

Also personally when I walk under the sun versus walking under a cloudy day I seemed to be less fatigued.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also personally when I walk under the sun versus walking under a cloudy day I seemed to be less fatigued

Probably has more to do with the heat than anything.
  • indyman87
    According to this article changes in atmospheric pressure can change the weight of a person also.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/questions/question/2288/
    The one that people haven’t written about which is actually quite important for most people and as to do with atmospheric pressure, the atmospheric pressure will change from day-to-day, people know about highs and lows and that the typical change during a night to the high pressure zone move into a low pressure zone might actually change the weight of a person by as much as 6 grams so not 10 or 15 milligrams but 6 grams. Which is the weight of a pencil, for example. And that’s all to do with the buoyancy of the air when the pressure goes up.

Also it would be a good idea for athletes or their trainers to know about Bio-mechanics which is a system that uses Newtons' Laws to help athletes with their movements while on the field.

http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/basic-mechanical-principles

The more massive an athlete, the more the athlete’s body mass resists change. A giant 300 lb (136 kg) athlete needs to exert great muscular force to get his body mass moving. Once moving in a particular direction, the athlete must again produce an immense amount of muscular force to stop or change direction. Athletes with less body mass have less inertia and therefore need to apply less force to get themselves going. Likewise, they need less force than a more massive athlete to maneuver or stop themselves once they’re on the move. There are many examples in everyday life of inertia at work. Oil tankers that cross our oceans have tremendous mass and inertia. They need powerful engines to get them going and huge distances to stop and to turn around. Consider Japanese sumo wrestlers or defensive and offensive linemen in American football. Just like the oil tanker, these athletes must apply tremendous force to get their body mass moving and then apply a huge amount of force to change direction or to maneuver the great masses of their opponents.

Sports Biomechanic: The Basics: Optimising Human Performance.

This book uses Newton's laws of physics to improve an athlete's movement and performance.

An excerpt...We apply a force against the ground in running, but the force that propels us, the ground reaction force is directed upwards. This principle is consistent with Newton's a) law of inertia (First Law of Motion) b) Law of Acceleration (Second Law of Motion) C) Law of action-reaction D) Law of Gravitation (Third Law of Motion)
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    You're onto something. In terms of injury i can attest that even a little more weight than you're accustomed to can cause injury....But

original.jpg

One does not bring up a topic like this without breaking it down and explaining it. Ngga dont ask us b/c we dont know. Lol I'm a smart ngga but w/out hesitation i will tell you, ngga... i aint that smart. You gon have to expalin this ? b.
  • indyman87
    This information is something that I just came across and it's new to me too. A physicists or someone who's good at advance math can break it down. But this is only a theory.

Many people say that the small microscopic movement won't make a difference. But like you I do believe that every little bit counts especially as the years go by.

But it's interesting how the NFL, NBA, MLB etc.. are doing all that they can to appease the neighborhood surrounding these stadiums with all of the bright light shining at night time because studies have shown that it causes breast cancers and disrupts the sleep patterns of people that live around the stadium sleep patterns but there is no data (that I could find) that shows how all of these overhead bright lights affect the health of the players.

Also, i jumped the gun on my last post. Biomechanics is something that athletes do every time they train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WUdHBso3Vk

• indyman87
    I hate to give advice because I'm definitely not an expert but if I was an athlete and knew I still had several years left to play I would adjust my weight downward by a little tiny bit each year maybe 1/3 of a pound as long as it doesn't interfere with my position. But this is just my theory.

And then you have to worry about atmospheric pressure. Look at what happened to Lebron James this year when the air conditioning went out during the finals it had an affect on his limbs. Changes in weather and the air flow inside buildings are known to have a bad affect on some people not all so I guess an athlete should definitely pay attention to how their body reacts during different weather conditions.

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/features/weather_and_pain

One leading theory points to changes in air pressure. Although many people say that their pain worsens with damp, rainy weather, research has shown that it's not the cold, wind, rain, or snow, Borenstein says. "The thing that affects people most is barometric pressure."

Barometric pressure is the weight of the atmosphere that surrounds us.

If you imagine the tissues surrounding the joints to be like a balloon, high barometric pressure that pushes against the body from the outside will keep tissues from expanding.

• Cliff Da Mont
    Cliff Da Mont Members Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    I hate to give advice because I'm definitely not an expert but if I was an athlete and knew I still had several years left to play I would adjust my weight downward by a little tiny bit each year maybe 1/3 of a pound as long as it doesn't interfere with my position.

LOL @ thinking this is possible. A person's weight fluctuates more than that throughout a single day.
  • indyman87
    I hate to give advice because I'm definitely not an expert but if I was an athlete and knew I still had several years left to play I would adjust my weight downward by a little tiny bit each year maybe 1/3 of a pound as long as it doesn't interfere with my position.

LOL @ thinking this is possible. A person's weight fluctuates more than that throughout a single day.

i wuz lowballing (no ? )
  • indyman87
    Also wearing carbon fiber shoes, like Air Jordan 11s, carbon fiber shirts which are lightweight, and wearing a simple posture support medium 24/7, along with a functional knee brace to help support good posture could also help a little.

There are a lot of good videos about bio-mechanics that help ACL injuries on youtube. I won't post them because they contain advertisements for orthopedic offices but one of the main causes for knee, ankle injuries are the force of landing. When athletes go up they feel lighter but when they go down they don't prepare properly because gravity actually adds back the weight that was loss when an athlete jumps up.

Plyometrics exercises can help athletes strengthen their knee, ankle muscles and help land softer.

http://beta.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/plyometrics-exercise-workouts

Plyometrics -- also known as jump training -- is a training technique designed to increase muscular power and explosiveness. Originally developed for Olympic athletes, plyometric training has become a popular workout routine for people of all ages, including children and adolescents.

Plyometric training conditions the body with dynamic resistance exercises that rapidly stretch a muscle (eccentric phase) and then rapidly shorten it (concentric phase). Hopping and jumping exercises, for example, subject the quadriceps to a stretch-shortening cycle that can strengthen these muscles, increase vertical jump, and reduce the force of impact on the joints.

But plyometric training is also associated with some risks, including an increased risk of injury, especially in participants who don't have adequate strength to begin with. So if you're considering plyometrics, it's important to consult with a sports medicine doctor or therapist who can assess your suitability for a plyometrics training program, and then select a qualified coach or trainer who can gradually introduce you to more difficult exercises.
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul George be like......"overhead lights?"
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a sidenote, VSauce is an awesome youtube channel. Top 5 imo.

Watch a few videos next time you're bored with ? to do.