Marbury Was Ahead of His Time w/ China

S2J
S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in From the Cheap Seats
Seein Artest sign over there reminded me...Marbury was ahead of the game as far as creating revenue streams for old head hoopers after they retire.

Mcgrady, AI, Arenas, Artest, Skip, etc. Not to mention his Marbury sneaker line is actually makin money over there. Googled Marbur's name and a Phillipino website comes up. They really fukin love that guy over there lol

ap-china-marbury_001.jpg?w=1000&h=666

Bj_hwbCCEAEce4h.jpg

Now these pics are funny af LMAO But i'm glad to see dude doin well nh

Comments

• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Josh Childress also made that hot back in the day
  • S2J
    edited July 2014
    ? been doin that though

But they havent tho..Not China. I'll find the old article from when he first went there. Their leagues were ? and at most they had 1 american per team.

But Im not talkin about playing really. I mean goIng over there and creating a brand. I can see him making a ? load of money over there well after he's done playing. He's essentially an ambassador of sorts.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    But yeah Marbury is a ? over there, he embraced the culture they embraced him. He went all in most will go there cash them checks and play ball
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beta wrote: »
    Josh Childress also made that hot back in the day

Yea that was crazy. He got that big contract, they paid his taxes, gave him a crib and a car.
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is life after nba...that's what more ? need to realize...
    This is what Iverson should have done when the nba started bullshiting him..... he could have gone to china @ 35....be a king over there....
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Marbury pics are always hilarious. I think what he's doing is dope though. I wonder if he can speak the language a bit.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    honestly for ? from college who get cut or go undrafted overseas can make your early 20's an awesome time. I know a cat i went to college with at my d3 school. We both graduated in 2012 and hes been playing 2 years overseas. mind you while getting paid (not as much as these other cats) and having housing he got to travel the UK and austria. If im a mediocre or low end theory d1 player im trina have fun overseas for a few years ? some european ? and then come back to the states and maybe start looking for jobs after i had a few years of fun.
  • S2J
    Glad to see nggas payin homage. Ima let this positivity cook a lil longer before i make a throwback 'Rememebr when Marbury went crazy' thread. For about 2 weeks in 2010 i was in tears everyday at work watchin this ngga's vids...soon

• S2J
  • S2J
    zerocool wrote: »
    There is life after nba...that's what more ? need to realize...
    This is what Iverson should have done when the nba started bullshiting him..... he could have gone to china @ 35....be a king over there....

He did eventually go over there.

002-china.jpg

Allen_Iverson_Illustration_China_2012.png

They showed love but AI bounced soon after. Its not easy to fully embrace it. For 1 living in China is nothign like living in Europe. Then it aint easy to be tht humble, especially for AI bein a hall of famer reduced to playin alongside the Proffesor Lol Marbury was uniquely humbled.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marbury was before his time for being the type of player at pg that is heralded now...
    Of course I know there were people who predated him but I bet he wish he was playing now totally different reception....
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    It's funny how long Marbury been over there. I'm surprise he isn't home sick

That was one of the reasons why he left Minnesota

but he probably grew from that experience
  • S2J
    edited July 2014
    Marbury was before his time for being the type of player at pg that is heralded now...
    Of course I know there were people who predated him but I bet he wish he was playing now totally different reception....

No doubt. He had/has some type of record for averaging 20 and 8. Either consectuive years or career avg. His time in Boston and NY killed that career avg tho so i think its # of years avg 20 n 8

edit: ? i think it was career average before his last yr

Career avg: 19.3 points and 7.6 assists a game
  • UinitiatedMgt
    UinitiatedMgt Members Posts: 161 ✭✭
    S2J wrote: »
    17miwl84tv3s2jpg.jpg

Real talk man a lot of people didnt know right around when he went crazy was soon after his mom died. I root for the guy its good to see him at peace.

Word, nice to see dude in a good place.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's not also overlook the fact that for all the swag talk Marbury did, he actually works out. AI look frail as ? in that one video with the Chinese dudes giving him work. Marbury still looked like an NBA player playing scrubs, though.