House votes to sue President Obama

soulbrother
soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
Republican: 225
Democrats: 201

By a slim margin the Republican led House voted to authorize a lawsuit against President Obama. I see this as fuel for the Democrats to take back the House and hold the Senate. To me this is further proof that the Republicans will do everything in their power to derail progress and make a mockery of the government system.

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    eh, it's not going to get Democrats back the House. i would go so far as to say it won't retain them the Senate, but i would allow there's a small percent chance the Democrats COULD make that happen, albeit for nothing to do with this vote.

but we DO get a whole bunch of Republicans wasting time and money and Obama acting smug as ? . so it's definitely affirmed my faith in American government being populated by ? from both parties.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're all crooked. Obamacare is a copy of Romney care in an effort to please the republicans by forcing everyone to pay for healthcare like an insurance and if not you'll suffer penalties.
  • janklow
    i think you all need to add "...with parts negated as required to gain political points here and there"
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    some_? ! wrote: »
    They're all crooked. Obamacare is a copy of Romney care in an effort to please the republicans by forcing everyone to pay for healthcare like an insurance and if not you'll suffer penalties.

Without question. Obamacare has been a disaster for middle class and even many working poor people out there. Almost everyone I know has more expensive health insurance now, thanks a ? lot Obama. Forcing people to sign up to crooked insurance companies is one reason I honestly don't care if Republicans sue him successfully
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2014
    Of course the House won't be successful suing Obama but I really do hope Obamacare is wiped out, the status quo was better this scam
  • kingblaze84
    Republican: 225
    Democrats: 201

By a slim margin the Republican led House voted to authorize a lawsuit against President Obama. I see this as fuel for the Democrats to take back the House and hold the Senate. To me this is further proof that the Republicans will do everything in their power to derail progress and make a mockery of the government system.

Not sure if that's the case, most polls show Republicans taking the Senate in November. It's still early but that's not a good sign for Democrats, Nov is just 3 months away
  • soulbrother
    Of course the House won't be successful suing Obama but I really do hope Obamacare is wiped out, the status quo was better this scam

So the uninsured Americans who didn't have insurance before ObamaCare....you want them to not be covered again?
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2014

So the uninsured Americans who didn't have insurance before ObamaCare....you want them to not be covered again?

Americans aren't happy about the law man, it's ruined Obama's reputation all over America. His poll numbers started going downhill after Obamacare passed, before then his approval ratings were in the high or mid fifties, now on avg its in the low 40s.....

I want people to be covered of course but I DO NOT want people being FORCED to pay for expensive, scam insurance that often doesn't cover anything until the high ass deductibles are paid out. AGAIN, Obamacare is an unpopular law, so yes the law should be either fixed up or destroyed. Both options sound good to me.
  • soulbrother

Americans aren't happy about the law man, it's ruined Obama's reputation all over America. His poll numbers started going downhill after Obamacare passed, before then his approval ratings were in the high or mid fifties, now on avg its in the low 40s.....

I want people to be covered of course but I DO NOT want people being FORCED to pay for expensive, scam insurance that often doesn't cover anything until the high ass deductibles are paid out. AGAIN, Obamacare is an unpopular law, so yes the law should be either fixed up or destroyed. Both options sound good to me.

As Americans we are FORCED to buy car insurance for crying out loud..and can get your car towed for not having it if you get pulled over...at least in Texas..causing financial hardships...so what's wrong with FORCING Americans to insure their Health?...and just cause the law is unpopular doesn't mean it's a bad law..desegregation was unpopular..freeing the slaves was unpopular..allowing women to vote was unpopular..I think you get the picture.
  • janklow
    As Americans we are FORCED to buy car insurance for crying out loud..and can get your car towed for not having it if you get pulled over...at least in Texas..causing financial hardships...so what's wrong with FORCING Americans to insure their Health?
    as written, this is kind of a poor argument for the ACA.

also, this IS a president that claims popularity in a poll is equivalent to a mandate for or against legislation. i actually wouldn't agree, but it's a little bogus to preach that when it agrees with you and then disagree when it doesn't.
  • kingblaze84
    janklow wrote: »
    As Americans we are FORCED to buy car insurance for crying out loud..and can get your car towed for not having it if you get pulled over...at least in Texas..causing financial hardships...so what's wrong with FORCING Americans to insure their Health?
    as written, this is kind of a poor argument for the ACA.

also, this IS a president that claims popularity in a poll is equivalent to a mandate for or against legislation. i actually wouldn't agree, but it's a little bogus to preach that when it agrees with you and then disagree when it doesn't.

• kingblaze84

As Americans we are FORCED to buy car insurance for crying out loud..and can get your car towed for not having it if you get pulled over...at least in Texas..causing financial hardships...so what's wrong with FORCING Americans to insure their Health?...and just cause the law is unpopular doesn't mean it's a bad law..desegregation was unpopular..freeing the slaves was unpopular..allowing women to vote was unpopular..I think you get the picture.

So people should be HAPPY AND PLEASED that they're FORCED to pay for health insurance from companies that have promised themselves to jack up the rates next year????

And if they don't, then they'll get fined?? Americans are trying to pay the rent, mortgage and save for retirement, this law has ? up the plans of so many trying to do all these things. If the health insurance was great or wouldn't be raised fine, but the health insurance companies are already saying deductibles will rise more next year. The law is a disaster, most uninsured people polled have said they DON'T like the law, what does that tell you?
  • (ob)Scene
    (ob)Scene Members Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

So people should be HAPPY AND PLEASED that they're FORCED to pay for health insurance from companies that have promised themselves to jack up the rates next year????

And if they don't, then they'll get fined?? Americans are trying to pay the rent, mortgage and save for retirement, this law has ? up the plans of so many trying to do all these things. If the health insurance was great or wouldn't be raised fine, but the health insurance companies are already saying deductibles will rise more next year. The law is a disaster, most uninsured people polled have said they DON'T like the law, what does that tell you?

I can't call the law a disaster when those same polls show that while people are unhappy with the law they don't want it to go away. Majority polls show that Americans like the idea of the Affordable Care Act but wish for it to be prepared. It's only the first year of this laws enactment. One can't reasonably expect for such a massive legislation to be perfect from day one.

I also feel like political gaming has a lot to do w/ the negative numbers when it comes to the law. Congress is TELLING people it is negative. We've been hearing healthcare reform is a bad thing before we even knew how it would be enacted. Also, the large percentage of American's aren't even at an economic level where this should be hurting them--as the ACA Tax Credits should be paying for these deductibles.

Like seriously... who can be against healthcare.
  • kingblaze84
    (ob)Scene wrote: »

I can't call the law a disaster when those same polls show that while people are unhappy with the law they don't want it to go away. Majority polls show that Americans like the idea of the Affordable Care Act but wish for it to be prepared. It's only the first year of this laws enactment. One can't reasonably expect for such a massive legislation to be perfect from day one.

I also feel like political gaming has a lot to do w/ the negative numbers when it comes to the law. Congress is TELLING people it is negative. We've been hearing healthcare reform is a bad thing before we even knew how it would be enacted. Also, the large percentage of American's aren't even at an economic level where this should be hurting them--as the ACA Tax Credits should be paying for these deductibles.

Like seriously... who can be against healthcare.

No one is against healthcare. However, the avg person is against being FORCED to pay for expensive health insurance whose premiums and rates are guaranteed to go up in the near future. A public option or universal healthcare would've been great, a similar kind to what Japan or Britain has. It's less expensive per person anyway. And Congress is not the reason the law is unpopular, Congress is actually very unpopular now, so Congress has little influence with the avg citizen. Word of mouth and experience with the healthcare companies people are being FORCED to pay for is the reason the law is so unpopular. I know people, including members of my own family, who have already gotten letters stating that their health insurance rates will go up 15% or more next year because of the kind of people signing up to the law lol. It's a joke.

As I did say though, I'm willing to let rules be changed for the law, but the provision forcing people to pay for expensive insurance needs to go. Unless the health insurance becomes a lot cheaper somehow. Obviously, forcing people to buy health insurance hasn't made the rates any cheaper so far.
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2014
    Were Obama's approval ratings this low before the healthcare law.....??

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/americas-fed-obama-approval-rating-hits-all-time-low-poll-n173271

America's Fed Up: Obama Approval Rating Hits All-Time Low, Poll Shows
    By Mark Murray

Two words sum up the mood of the nation: Fed up.

Six in 10 Americans are dissatisfied with the state of the U.S. economy, more than 70 percent believe the country is headed in the wrong direction, and nearly 80 percent are down on the country’s political system, according to the latest NBC News / Wall Street Journal poll.

The frustration carries over to the nation’s political leaders, with President Barack Obama’s overall approval rating hitting a new low at 40 percent, and a mere 14 percent of the public giving Congress a thumbs up.

That decline comes from slightly lower support from Democrats and African-American respondents.
  • soulbrother
    Congress has a lower approval rating...go figure
  • kingblaze84

Yeah Congress sucks too....
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2014

The republicans have the house majority and have vetoed a lot of policies. This has meant Obama has had to make executive orders. Now they are suing him for doing what he had to do when they vetoed bills and policies out of petty spite, ignoring the fact George W. Bush did the same thing when the Democrats had a house majority and Pelosi was the speaker, Reagan did the exact same thing too, and both did it more often. They want to talk about NSA and CIA invasions of privacy when Dubya pushed through the Patriot Act in the first place.

Seriously, they are just playing a political game of "why are you hitting yourself?" like bullying ? .

I hear all that but Democrats had the Senate and the House at one point, for two years under Obama in fact. People were so disappointed they voted Republicans back into the House in 2010, many Democrats and independents just stayed home during that voting (and I agree Republicans are worse, not by very much though).

Both sides have disappointed the country, it's no coincidence Democrats, Obama, and Republicans are so disliked right now. I lean towards Democrats, but I don't even know what their agenda is anymore aside from ? rights. Seems like I'll be voting 3rd party later this November, unless someone gives me a good reason to vote Democrat again.
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2014

The republicans have the house majority and have vetoed a lot of policies. This has meant Obama has had to make executive orders. Now they are suing him for doing what he had to do when they vetoed bills and policies out of petty spite, ignoring the fact George W. Bush did the same thing when the Democrats had a house majority and Pelosi was the speaker, Reagan did the exact same thing too, and both did it more often. They want to talk about NSA and CIA invasions of privacy when Dubya pushed through the Patriot Act in the first place.

Seriously, they are just playing a political game of "why are you hitting yourself?" like bullying ? .

I hear all that but Democrats had the Senate and the House at one point, for two years under Obama in fact. People were so disappointed they voted Republicans back into the House in 2010, many Democrats and independents just stayed home during that voting (and I agree Republicans are worse, not by very much though).

Both sides have disappointed the country, it's no coincidence Democrats, Obama, and Republicans are so disliked right now. I lean towards Democrats, but I don't even know what their agenda is anymore aside from ? rights. Seems like I'll be voting 3rd party later this November, unless someone gives me a good reason to vote Democrat again.

I think the truth is Obama promised a lot, failed to make good on a lot of what he said when he realised the depth of the bureaucracy and resistance through propaganda funded by folks like the Koch brothers, as well as the institutional racism in higher level politics, he basically realised he was in a situation of trying to fight the tide. The majority of people that had hopes have had them demolished, the man that promised change has actually changed very little. He was more or less set up to fail and the stress shows. His public addresses are monotone and uninspired. He's not the man he was when he first took office and all the signs are there that he basically hates his job at this point.

I agree with much of this, Obama did fight a tide when it comes to fighting the influence of Israel's lobby in Congress for example. I remember idiots in govt saying Obama was choosing to side with terrorists in the Palestinian territories just because Obama gave Netanyahu of Israel slack for building the illegal settlements. And Obama also fought a tide closing Guantanamo Bay, although the Democrats in the House in 2010 opposed closing the base down as well.

The rest I'm not sure is completely accurate because Obama got much of what he wanted done. Obamacare, which is one of the most unpopular laws in America now, was passed by him and a Democrat Congress. He purposely chose to extend the Afghan War, although close to 80% of Americans oppose the war in Afghanistan now. Obama has also failed to join the legalize medical marijuana movement, a move that MOST young people and independents support. Obama failed to ride the train, and so many look at Obama as a sellout to the pharmaceutical companies.

If it wasn't for Obama's bad moves with Obamacare, his failure to ride the medical marijuana wave, and his refusal to listen to the American people when it comes to the war in Afghanistan, I would actually consider Obama a more decent president. But Obama chose to align himself with corporate interests that don't give a ? about Americans, and people are rightly disappointed in him. You're right though in that Obama doesn't seem inspired anymore.....
  • janklow
    Now they are suing him for doing what he had to do when they vetoed bills and policies out of petty spite, ignoring the fact George W. Bush did the same thing when the Democrats had a house majority and Pelosi was the speaker, Reagan did the exact same thing too, and both did it more often.
    on the other hand, it's almost like those very same Democrats ? and moaned about Bush doing the same thing. weird!
    They want to talk about NSA and CIA invasions of privacy when Dubya pushed through the Patriot Act in the first place.
    please. Democrats cosigned the ? out of the Patriot Act. you think someone like Feinstein takes a noble stand for people's privacy rights? ahahaha.
  • Lustchyld
    Lustchyld Members Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭
    the sad truth is he'd face more racist antagonism as a black man deciding to legalise ? . That's a Sarah Palin racist speech in the making. The tide will turn once the states with legalised marijuana sales can turn profits in comparison or greater than breweries. That is starting to happen since Colorado is making a ? to put into the local and national economy. Once more states sanction it, a nationwide change will just become an eventuality.

tru story
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dems arent taking back the House but they have a chance to keep the Senate since GOP candidates love to say stupid ? to upset voters.
  • janklow
    However I will agree Obama continuing that ? went against the claims of policy changes he stated he would undertake in his initial campaign. Pragmatism overcame his optimism.
    and this is precisely the problem: running on a bunch of principles that were supposed to make him stand out from Bush/typical politicians, compromised on tons of them because of "pragmatism," still has supporters cosigning him because he's not Bush.

and people act like the people they don't agree with are the sole reason our political system sucks
    Executive orders are the option Commanders in Chief can exploit, however Obama's record of them has arguably been for more justifiable causes and in far rarer instances.
    for the former, sorry, not a great argument, because it comes down to the opinion of what's "more justifiable." for the latter, the specific claim of "executive ORDERS" is gaming the system a little.