Would You Rather Have Roommates Or Live Alone? (When You First Move Out On Your Own)

Options
GorillaWitAttitude
GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
So, do you think it's cool to have roomies that you could talk to? Also it would be cheaper for you because you guys would get to split the rent. What are the perks and disadvantages of having roommates? I know I might get some when I move to the West Coast. The main reason is because rent is more expensive over there than it is here. What do you guys think? I know I would have one or two until I get on my feet.

539w.jpg6a01156e3109e6970c01310fa50f4f970c-piScreen-shot-2011-03-27-at-7.41.38-PM.pngroommates.jpeg

Comments

• _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Alone. I don't ? wit nobody. The potential disruption of my peace of mind isn't worth the money i'll save, there was a thread about a ? who had a roommate that worshiped the devil. Hell no. Just give me a means to make money and something to protect myself, and i'll make it anywhere for dolo.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Who willfully chooses to have roommates? That's only when you can't afford to live on your own.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If your about saving as much money as possible, try to get a roommate.

If you value your alone time and what absolute say in what goes on, go it by yourself.
  • OhMars
    OhMars Members Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The absolute only advantage to having a roommate is lower costs. If you can afford it on your own solo is always a better option. One less factor to deal with
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    If your about saving as much money as possible, try to get a roommate.

If you value your alone time and what absolute say in what goes on, go it by yourself.

Yeah, when I first move I want to save cash. I may get a female roommate just cause and I may add in a third roommate. See, I would get roommates that are similar to myself.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    family members yes
    strangers hell no
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only a friend

Living with strangers is too much of a gamble
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What a ? thread
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alone.

I'd move back in with my parents if I needed roommates.
  • _Lefty
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    family members yes
    strangers hell no

Family members is worse than strangers b. Especially if you're doin better, or more stable. I'd never suggest going into a business agreement with family. You really can't knock your cousin out for bein out of line. Strangers know there may be consequences.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    What a ? thread

Why did you comment then ? ?
    Trashboat wrote: »
    Only a friend

Give the folk that don't know an example. Like how? I get what you mean, but some others might not.
    kzzl wrote: »
    Alone.

I'd move back in with my parents if I needed roommates.

Good at least you're honest.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Being a roommate with ya homeboi is coo but living on ya own is always better. Best believe tension will be built up cause of ? u don't agree with and vice versa. Most times ppl fall out with friends while living together. Lucky for me, my homie and I are still coo to this day.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At first have roomies, but as adult I would much rather live alone. I hate having roommates. I've had the worst roommates in my life.

• GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    See, I was thinking of getting a female roommate and another male roommate. That way things could be somewhat kosher.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    At first have roomies, but as adult I would much rather live alone. I hate having roommates. I've had the worst roommates in my life.

Lmao
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only a friend

Give the folk that don't know an example. Like how? I get what you mean, but some others might not.

If I attempt to live with someone I don't know it's basically me hoping that this person's personality works well with mine
    if they turn out to be a ? i'm stuck with them

if I move shack up with some friends then at least I know for sure they wont suck
  • zombie
    Options
    family members yes
    strangers hell no

Family members is worse than strangers b. Especially if you're doin better, or more stable. I'd never suggest going into a business agreement with family. You really can't knock your cousin out for bein out of line. Strangers know there may be consequences.

I don't know what kind of ? up family you come from but family is the whole world to me. We had ? physical fights all the time growing up, you can knock a stranger out but he will sue your ass, when i gave my brother a black eye he forgave me.

me and my 5 brothers started our own business together and made an ass load of money if you can't start a business with your own blood who the ? can you start a business with??? you can't even agree with the people you grew up with.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    Only a friend

If I attempt to live with someone I don't know it's basically me hoping that this person's personality works well with mine
    if they turn out to be a ? i'm stuck with them

if I move shack up with some friends then at least I know for sure they wont suck

Alright good answer
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    *bump*

Sometimes it's cool to have another person livin with you when you first get on ya feet. That's just my two cents.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Advantages:
    Somebody you can talk too/laugh with
    Always got a wing man (unless you living with a lame/nerd which isnt always a bad thing)
    You can potentially catch collateral if they got female friends that fall through on their behalf
    Split rent in half or how ever many ways which can be economical if you are smart

Disadvantages:
    Late on rent (specially applies to good friends and/or family particularly if you are the primary renter or owner)
    Lack of privacy
    Feeling compelled to do ? together you'd honestly rather do by yourself
    Utility bills always double
    Bringing unsavory/sketchy people to the spot who they are cool with but you're not

Roommates are cool when you are young and trying to find reasons to go out and be social, but once you are over that (which for me happened pretty quick) its better to be on your own and deal with others at your discretion...

Laying ground rules from the jump is always the best idea tho, cause once things start going down that youre not cool with after everything had been copacetic, its harder to enforce ? without coming across as an ? or simply a joker overreacting.

Never assume everything is going to be alright, even if its your ? brother your bout to live with.
  • _Lefty
    Options
    family members yes
    strangers hell no

I don't know what kind of ? up family you come from but family is the whole world to me. We had ? physical fights all the time growing up, you can knock a stranger out but he will sue your ass, when i gave my brother a black eye he forgave me.

me and my 5 brothers started our own business together and made an ass load of money if you can't start a business with your own blood who the ? can you start a business with??? you can't even agree with the people you grew up with.

@zombie‌
    The reason you do business with family, is the reason I don't. They mean the world to me. Ya'll had ? , physical fights with yours. I won't lay a finger on mine, and I'll never fall out, even temporarily about no money that's why I never loan, I just give what I can. I'll have to sever the business relationship and take the loss, i'm not tryin to do that. You can't really ask me what kind of ? up family I come from, then in the same post say ya'll had ? physical fights all the time, i've never fought any of my siblings, not physically. I do business with people who know there are consequences to bad business because the business is all we have that ties us together. If you owe me 5 bands, or you owe two months rent you my brother/cousin/nephew. What i'ma do? Shoot you? Slap you? Evict you and leave you with nowhere to go? I'm not tryin to get that call from my auntie, or mom, once they say you gotta cool it, you gotta cool it. Period. I don't give a ? how much money it is. Blood thicker than mud. I could be a million up, i'm still their baby, and I gotta listen.
  • 1800skypager
    1800skypager Members Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alone. I require lots of space and quiet time; can't stand people up in my face like that.
  • zombie
    Options
    family members yes
    strangers hell no

@zombie‌
    The reason you do business with family, is the reason I don't. They mean the world to me. Ya'll had ? , physical fights with yours. I won't lay a finger on mine, and I'll never fall out, even temporarily about no money that's why I never loan, I just give what I can. I'll have to sever the business relationship and take the loss, i'm not tryin to do that. You can't really ask me what kind of ? up family I come from, then in the same post say ya'll had ? physical fights all the time, i've never fought any of my siblings, not physically. I do business with people who know there are consequences to bad business because the business is all we have that ties us together. If you owe me 5 bands, or you owe two months rent you my brother/cousin/nephew. What i'ma do? Shoot you? Slap you? Evict you and leave you with nowhere to go? I'm not tryin to get that call from my auntie, or mom, once they say you gotta cool it, you gotta cool it. Period. I don't give a ? how much money it is. Blood thicker than mud. I could be a million up, i'm still their baby, and I gotta listen.

If you start a business with your family why would they be owing you money??? what you described is you starting a business with their money or vice versa. But that's not what i was talking about. i was talking about a family collectively working together And as for the fights they are perfectly normal to me that ? was just part of coming up if helps you really know your brothers and later on when it came business i knew their minds and they knew mine. At some point you do have to do business with people who don't care about you but doing business with people who care is so much better because their involvement is more intense they will work harder and be more forgiving during the tuff times when the business takes a downswing than some dude who gives no ? and is just looking to make money. That's my advice to you take it or leave it brother the choice is yours.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ive always had roommates. Theyve always been my best friends too. Never moved in with someone i didnt know too well. My current roommates never home really so its kinda cool.