Could You Ever Be A Public School Teacher? (I Couldn't Do It)

Options
2»

Comments

• Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    alg-brooklyn-academy-of-gb-jpg.jpg?enlarged

The Brooklyn Academy of Global Finance at 125 Stuyvesant Avenue in Brooklyn is considered the most dangerous school in New York City.

At one of this ole ratchet ? schools, HELL-TO-THE-NAW. I'd ? one of those youngsters up.

A Brooklyn high school co-founded by Borough President Marty Markowitz is one of the most dangerous places to learn, a new Education Department survey shows.

Students at the Brooklyn Academy of Global Finance in Bedford-Stuyvesant face routine bullying, gang activity and a generally unsafe campus, according to the city's 2011 School Survey.

"The kids run wild, and the teachers are scared," said an administrator at the high school who asked to remain anonymous.

"It's like there are no rules here at all," she added.

I'm going to call ? on the severity of this. Mostly because I taught in the MIDDLE SCHOOL (Ron Brown Middle - MS 57) on the 2nd floor of that building for half this last year. Those kids weren't getting down like that. If they were, the precinct would've been there everyday.

If anything, that school IS run down though, and most of the school staff didn't give a ? to fix it.

Being a teacher takes alot of paitence, but even at that place, it wasn't a nightmare like this story would make it out to be.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No and public school teachers are trash anyway.That's why they get paid scraps.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I mean I guess I could try it out. I would bribe some of the students into bringing me weed for a higher grade in class
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    alg-brooklyn-academy-of-gb-jpg.jpg?enlarged

The Brooklyn Academy of Global Finance at 125 Stuyvesant Avenue in Brooklyn is considered the most dangerous school in New York City.

At one of this ole ratchet ? schools, HELL-TO-THE-NAW. I'd ? one of those youngsters up.

A Brooklyn high school co-founded by Borough President Marty Markowitz is one of the most dangerous places to learn, a new Education Department survey shows.

Students at the Brooklyn Academy of Global Finance in Bedford-Stuyvesant face routine bullying, gang activity and a generally unsafe campus, according to the city's 2011 School Survey.

"The kids run wild, and the teachers are scared," said an administrator at the high school who asked to remain anonymous.

"It's like there are no rules here at all," she added.

I'm going to call ? on the severity of this. Mostly because I taught in the MIDDLE SCHOOL (Ron Brown Middle - MS 57) on the 2nd floor of that building for half this last year. Those kids weren't getting down like that. If they were, the precinct would've been there everyday.

If anything, that school IS run down though, and most of the school staff didn't give a ? to fix it.

Being a teacher takes alot of paitence, but even at that place, it wasn't a nightmare like this story would make it out to be.

Do you think that you are your colleagues get paid enough?
    No and public school teachers are trash anyway.That's why they get paid scraps.

I knew some public school teachers that were paid scraps. Those particular ones should have been paid more.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    twinzmom wrote: »
    mryounggun wrote: »
    I don't think teachers - for the most part - are in the teaching game for the money, B. But no, as a whole I don't think teachers should make more money. I think Michelle Rhee's format should be instituted, remove tenure and pay the REALLY GOOD, ENGAGED teachers very well and pay the others who do the bare minimum the same they are getting paid now or a little more.

Yeah, I could be a teacher.

How do you gauge that tho? Some kids and parents just done care. Teacher could go above and beyond and students still fail.

That's why I didn't say base is solely on tangible results, like test scores, etc, etc. It's not really hard to see what teachers are doing the bare minimum.
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Could I do it yes. Do I want to no. Depending on how many extra hours they put in with planning and grading it is about a 9 hr day. Every holiday off and eight weeks to get another job and vacation. Some schools even pay you to get your Masters and national certification.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    Say What wrote: »
    Could I do it yes. Do I want to no. Depending on how many extra hours they put in with planning and grading it is about a 9 hr day. Every holiday off and eight weeks to get another job and vacation. Some schools even pay you to get your Masters and national certification.

That's dope
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I been teaching high school P.E. and coaching track For 5 years....? they'll have to burn the building down to get me out of there...
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It shouldn't be about the money. Teaching is a service industry, you deal with real people in real situations, don't expect to be paid a lot of money.

I probably could be a halfway decent to good teacher but I wouldn't be able to deal with te constant attacks teachers are under from society and politicians. They are the whipping boys of the education system, I'd be ? everyday because my job is so blatantly disrespected and undervalued despite the fact it should be one of the most valued jobs.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    It shouldn't be about the money. Teaching is a service industry, you deal with real people in real situations, don't expect to be paid a lot of money.

I probably could be a halfway decent to good teacher but I wouldn't be able to deal with te constant attacks teachers are under from society and politicians. They are the whipping boys of the education system, I'd be ? everyday because my job is so blatantly disrespected and undervalued despite the fact it should be one of the most valued jobs.

Teachers have families too doe fam. I think it should be somewhat about the money. Check this out those school authority figures bring in youth speakers. They make more a year just by being on stage giving a 20 minute speech. So, I know it's a service industry, but they should get more pay. However, the rest I agree with.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They should be paid more and they should be appreciated more.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some of them do.

? , most of the teachers with Masters Degrees can get around 100k in less than 10 years once they get tenure.

As a sub, tho.....nah. Mostly cause NYC tax is ? financial rapists in action.
  • ayyubam2002
    ayyubam2002 Members Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm a 4th grade teacher here in Houston. The pay is ok. New teachers start at $49,600 for 10 months. Plus at my school they give us a $4000 bonus because it's a high risk school. There's other ways to make extra money up to $12000 if you are in a tested subject. I like teaching elementary' but I can't deal with high school kids. I'll probably stay until I'm finished with grad school and then move along to another level.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gym-PE teacher...

Just saw that i got my 30 credit hours too.

Its about to go down. I hope they put me in one of them soccoro district schools too.

They got Major Pain teaching our babies.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Long as the kids are well home trained and the parents are worth a damn, teaching is cool. My mom and aunt did that ? 30+ years. They brought home around 3-5k a month with summers off, some crucial benefits, and all the holidays.They complained more about the parents, the administration, and the school board. She couldn't stand some of them folks on the school board.

Most of the teachers at my schools were cool, though. They knew, grew up, lived around, and/or went to church with the parents of the students they taught. If I did something ? up in Ms. Williams room, she came to our house and told parents. Only a handful of them wasn't worth a ? .

Those were some good times. Man, ya'll must've had it bad to be talking bad bout teachers.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The teachers at my high school weren't worth a ? . My econ teacher used to show us hockey fights beginning of class. ? smoking weed in the back of spanish class.
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The teachers at my high school weren't worth a ? . My econ teacher used to show us hockey fights beginning of class. ? smoking weed in the back of spanish class.

Kids smoking weed in the back of class...sounds like the students in your school weren't ? either..
  • memphis2sacnicc
    memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Kids smoking weed in the back of class...sounds like the students in your school weren't ? either..
    They weren't but hell, that's they life.

• south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got two cousins that teach in Atlanta, one at a High School and the other at a Middle School, they said those kids are bad lol
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm a 4th grade teacher here in Houston. The pay is ok. New teachers start at $49,600 for 10 months. Plus at my school they give us a $4000 bonus because it's a high risk school. There's other ways to make extra money up to $12000 if you are in a tested subject. I like teaching elementary' but I can't deal with high school kids. I'll probably stay until I'm finished with grad school and then move along to another level.

almost 50 k coming fresh out of college for 10 months work?

that's actually solid
    unless the cost of living there is really bad
  • mike06
    mike06 Members Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i would but it depends on the location, the grade, my level of paitence at the time, and the pay(although i'd only really dive into it if i was already financially secure from something else)....i'd prolly rather deal with bad ass lil kids then teenagers that don't give a ? and just wanna be disrespectful and show up just to show up

i enjoy teaching my son and i had fun when i was a lil league football coach so i think i'd enjoy teaching something that's gonna change a kid's life
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    Some of them do.

? , most of the teachers with Masters Degrees can get around 100k in less than 10 years once they get tenure.

As a sub, tho.....nah. Mostly cause NYC tax is ? financial rapists in action.

Yeah over here in the Hampton Roads area in VA the teachers I know make 50,000-60,000k it's sad really. Then, like you said you gotta take in consideration the taxes. Over here at least I think the good teachers need to be paid more. However, like I said I could never do it. Too, many disrespected students. I'll rather do motivational speaker towards youth and college students when I get in my 30's. They even make more than the teachers.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    south4life wrote: »
    I got two cousins that teach in Atlanta, one at a High School and the other at a Middle School, they said those kids are bad lol

I hope it's worth the pay.
  • edwardnigma
    edwardnigma Members Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe I could do it because I gotta very Youthful Personality while being Disciplined.

Its all about what I would be teaching and where. If Im teaching a subject I like, for ex...Literature or History, I can

have fun doing it and it would create a good learning environment. Other then that, I can go from a Lamb to a Lion

instantly and you need that when dealing with Teenagers.

"THE 954" Help Us Put this MOVIE Out!
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/its-just-us-entertainment
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hells no , I'll probably "this is Sparta" kick one of those bad ass kids in the chest