Daily Verse thread.

The_Jackal
The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
The amount of heathens on this board is astounding. So I dedicate this thread to you in an attempt to help you see the errors of your ways. Post your favorite verse and add context and a background as to why you like it. Ill start.

Psalm14,1
To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. The fool hath said in his heart, There is no ? . They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Most of psalms are simple praises to ? . This verse on itself sums up the foolishness and pride of men who proclaim to know better then the Lord.

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I post my favorite Bible passages too?
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    Jeremiah 17:9

"The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?"

This verse, in my opinion, describes the state of mankind. There is an inherent corruption that plagues us and there is nothing that man can ever do to remedy the condition. It also suggest that even in our most sincere quest for truth, we are prone to distort it with our own perspectives and worldviews.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    alissowack wrote: »

"The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?"

This verse, in my opinion, describes the state of mankind. There is an inherent corruption that plagues us and there is nothing that man can ever do to remedy the condition. It also suggest that even in our most sincere quest for truth, we are prone to distort it with our own perspectives and worldviews.

So your saying the self is part of the problem?
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I post my favorite Bible passages too?

By all means.

Joshua 1.9
    Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy ? is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

This verse speaks volumes and not only inspires Joshua greatly but all modern day Christians. Their is strength to be found in the Lord and as long as you have trust and faith in him he will never forsaken you
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
    I take it while I may go through different pitfalls in life I have the power to get through it with ? . I don't take it to be superhero strength but the thing you are destined to do can be accomplished
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    alissowack wrote: »

So your saying the self is part of the problem?

I'm saying we are the problem...period. A guy who became a Christian named G.K. Chesterton came to this conclusion he wrote.

“I am” by G.K. Chesterton

“When a newspaper posed the question, ‘What’s Wrong with the World?’ the Catholic thinker G. K. Chesterton reputedly wrote a brief letter in response:

‘Dear Sirs:

I am.

Sincerely Yours,

G. K. Chesterton.’

That is the attitude of someone who has grasped the message of Jesus.”