Do You Consider Eazy-E As The Godfather Of Gangsta Rap? (I Don't Ever See Him Get Love Like That)

Comments

• Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Ice T was born on the east coast but started rapping from Cali as an adult. People act like Colors wasn't seen around the country. Easy did become a face (I think because he died) but he wasn't the godfather or drum major
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    waterproof wrote: »
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Gotta Love the revisionist.

Schoolly D -PSK

Ice-T - Who in his own words said, "6 in the morning" was inspired by Schooly D's PSK.

I'd also mention Just-ice who's debut album(1986) had a song called "Gangster of Hip Hop. And was well known for toting a sawed off shotty and his work in the streets.

Let's not forget one of Hip Hops founding fathers Africka Bambaataa was a warlord of the Black Spades. When Bam founded the Zulu nation many of the members were former Gang Members.

All of this preceded Easy E's rap existence but I'll let yall revel in your Hip Hop fallacy. I'll stick to the True Historical facts.

Now you know we on the same page on this hip hop.

But this is not who's the Father of Gangsta Rap or ? rap, Just Ice was the first.

But just like James Brown is the Godfather of soul, Not the Father of soul.

Eazy E is the Godfather of Gangsta Rap, Eazy E brought the visual, slang, the stories of Gangsta Rap in what we know as Today.

Eazy E became the face, spread gangsta rap all across the world.

Much respect to Just Ice, Ice T, Schoolly D and all of them.

But Eazy E took it to another level, He is The Godfather of Gangsta Rap

I'll also sprinkle KRS in this as well, strictly off of Criminal Minded.

I had this conversation with one of my southern homies. Some view it as Gangter Rap is actual gangsters rapping. Some view it as gangster themes being rapped about.

In either case the artists I mentioned cover both. So, I can't agree with Easy being a ? father. A ? Son? Sure.

• waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

Schoolly D -PSK

Ice-T - Who in his own words said, "6 in the morning" was inspired by Schooly D's PSK.

I'd also mention Just-ice who's debut album(1986) had a song called "Gangster of Hip Hop. And was well known for toting a sawed off shotty and his work in the streets.

Let's not forget one of Hip Hops founding fathers Africka Bambaataa was a warlord of the Black Spades. When Bam founded the Zulu nation many of the members were former Gang Members.

All of this preceded Easy E's rap existence but I'll let yall revel in your Hip Hop fallacy. I'll stick to the True Historical facts.

But this is not who's the Father of Gangsta Rap or ? rap, Just Ice was the first.

Eazy E is the Godfather of Gangsta Rap, Eazy E brought the visual, slang, the stories of Gangsta Rap in what we know as Today.

I had this conversation with one of my southern homies. Some view it as Gangter Rap is actual gangsters rapping. Some view it as gangster themes being rapped about.

In either case the artists I mentioned cover both. So, I can't agree with Easy being a ? father. A ? Son? Sure.

Just Ice album strictly old school dropped in 1986.

That's the same year NWA start recording NWA & The Posse in which Boyz N that Hood was making it ways through the L.A. Street.

NWA Dropped NWA and the posse in 87, which went gold real fast off of Boyz N that Hood.

? Mixmaster ? had gangsta elements in talk before all of them.

So what I'm saying what was going on in the East, The West was doing it also at the same time, and Mixmaster ? before that.

Eazy E Boyz N Tha Hood set the nation on fire, Boyz N that Hood was something they never heard in that light.
  • $tayRichROLLIN
    $tayRichROLLIN Members Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you not say Ice T isn't the godfather of this! Everyone who knows west coast history knows Ice was. And Believe it or not Ice was in them streets
  • waterproof

Schoolly D -PSK

True Just Ice was a gangsta and so was Eazy E. Eazy was from Kelly Park Crip everybody knew that. He took his ? money and made Ruthless Record
  • Kwan Dai

Schoolly D -PSK

Just Ice album strictly old school dropped in 1986.

That's the same year NWA start recording NWA & The Posse in which Boyz N that Hood was making it ways through the L.A. Street.

NWA Dropped NWA and the posse in 87, which went gold real fast off of Boyz N that Hood.

? Mixmaster ? had gangsta elements in talk before all of them.

So what I'm saying what was going on in the East, The West was doing it also at the same time, and Mixmaster ? before that.

Eazy E Boyz N Tha Hood set the nation on fire, Boyz N that Hood was something they never heard in that light.

It would be fair to say that Just Ice album being released in 1986 was also recorded before that time circa 1985. However, that doesn't remove Schooly D's PSK. "Park Side Killas". Which was released in 1985. I also would note, the cadence and beat to Boyz in the hood. It's very PSK esqe. Easy just can't get that slot fam.
  • waterproof
    How do you not say Ice T isn't the godfather of this! Everyone who knows west coast history knows Ice was. And Believe it or not Ice was in them streets

Because Ice T wasn't the torch bearer, I'm from The West and grew up off that gangsta ? .

Ice T, Mixmaster ? , NWA, Rodney O and Joe Cooley.

? that electro hop, L.A. Dream Team, Jimmy and The Critters etc....

Ice T was on that Punk Rap ? first. Eazy E came in gangsta ? no fillers. That Jherri Curl, Levis, T shirt that's his only disguise he wasn't lying he told Cube to write what he done and put it in the verse. All those stories from That E had Cube wrote those was his life.

E was banging, Slanging for deals but he was smart and got out of it and flipped his drug money
  • Kwan Dai

Because Ice T wasn't the torch bearer, I'm from The West and grew up off that gangsta ? .

Ice T, Mixmaster ? , NWA, Rodney O and Joe Cooley.

? that electro hop, L.A. Dream Team, Jimmy and The Critters etc....

Ice T was on that Punk Rap ? first. Eazy E came in gangsta ? no fillers. That Jherri Curl, Levis, T shirt that's his only disguise he wasn't lying he told Cube to write what he done and put it in the verse. All those stories from That E had Cube wrote those was his life.

E was banging, Slanging for deals but he was smart and got out of it and flipped his drug money

While all this is factual. Eazy did'nt come up with the genre or style on his own. The influence and inspiration came from gangster rappers that preceded him. Yes, NWA was the first to have mainstream success with gangster theme raps but they were no where near the first or pioneering.

Commercial success doesn't automagically give someone a loftier title.

• MoneyLuver
    MoneyLuver Members Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭
    NWA recorded music for tha sake of recording music, not to get a major deal (Dre even said that himself decades ago).

Eazy gets tha spot becuz he's the embodiment of it. George Washington technically wasn't the first U.S. President but we still give him that nod.

Also, the Media coined the term "Gangsta Rap" *I think it was the LA Times*. So while we shouldn't hardly forget about T, D, ? , & Ice, we shouldn't over-inflate their History.

Ain't no way u could give that title to T or any other of them ? . NWA got on and blazed trails that have embedded in Rap since theyve been on
  • MoneyLuver
    MoneyLuver Members Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭
    Also, Eazy's music is different from T's.

T was on some ? punk rock hip hop ? for the most part. Eazy is the quintessential Gangsta Rapper.
  • waterproof
    MoneyLuver wrote: »
    NWA recorded music for tha sake of recording music, not to get a major deal (Dre even said that himself decades ago).

Eazy gets tha spot becuz he's the embodiment of it. George Washington technically wasn't the first U.S. President but we still give him that nod.

Also, the Media coined the term "Gangsta Rap" *I think it was the LA Times*. So while we shouldn't hardly forget about T, D, ? , & Ice, we shouldn't over-inflate their History.

Ain't no way u could give that title to T or any other of them ? . NWA got on and blazed trails that have embedded in Rap since theyve been on

Questlove from The Roots said it the best, and we all know questions is a music head, hip hop junkie and musical Oracle.

Questlove said hip hop got two halves.....Before NWA, After NWA and when he said this quote he was talking about the Impact of Eazy E and his group NWA have on hip hop
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My two cents

Everything has already been said. The only thing I'd add on is that the NWA and the Posse version of Boys In The Hood doesn't have any 808 (same with Dopeman). If you notice, those are remixes on the Eazy Duz It LP (and Strait Outta Compton).

And don't make me bring up Melle Mel, he was talking about that street life in 1982.
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Curtis Mayfield wrote im your pusher long before all of this. He started it lol
  • level 7 boss
    level 7 boss Members Posts: 63 ✭✭
    E's voice is so dope. Contrasted nicely against Cube, Ren and them.
  • gamezpog
    gamezpog Members Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    The Godfather of Gangsta Rap has always been and will be ... SCHOOLY D!!

• waterproof
    _Lefty wrote: »
    Eazy took it to another level but I'd probably give ice-T the nod. He went into the street ? 's conciousness before Eazy put NWA together, the government was scared of Cop killer before they was scared of ? da police. They was talkin about ice-T havin the mac in the backpack in 1986, and I think he was the first person to ever have the explicit lyrics sticker that's on every album now too. You gotta give that ? his due. Once straight outta Compton hit, it was a wrap though, NWA took it to another level, and Eazy put em together, but when you talkin about gangsta ? , I think Ice-T gotta be the answer(at least on the west coast) Schooly D was poppin back then too.

You on time out, you carry yo ass in the corner and grab a Hip hop history book and study.

And put on a dunce hat while you at it, and raise your hand next time before you ask a question
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eazy took it to another level but I'd probably give ice-T the nod. He went into the street ? 's conciousness before Eazy put NWA together, the government was scared of Cop killer before they was scared of ? da police. They was talkin about ice-T havin the mac in the backpack in 1986, and I think he was the first person to ever have the explicit lyrics sticker that's on every album now too. You gotta give that ? his due. Once straight outta Compton hit, it was a wrap though, NWA took it to another level, and Eazy put em together, but when you talkin about gangsta ? , I think Ice-T gotta be the answer(at least on the west coast) Schooly D was poppin back then too.

You on time out, you carry yo ass in the corner and grab a Hip hop history book and study.

And put on a dunce hat while you at it, and raise your hand next time before you ask a question

yeah, ? the Police was about 3 years before Cop Killer but he had a point.
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

5 Grand wrote: »

@waterproof‌
    That's all he had to say. I had it wrong, I thought I had the years backward, but I figured ain't no way. All that other ? is corny my man.. A good rule of thumb is, don't type ? on a message board that you won't say to a ? grill. That keeps good discussions in line, and respectful. If I say anything, i'll put a name, city, side of city, phone number and all that on it. Basically anyting but a real address. If you not willing to do the same, keep the crazy talk to yourself.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    I think Kats got the term Godfather twisted calling Eazy the Godfather of Gangsta Rap does not mean he birthed it rather he took the honor to care for it and supported it to grow and become strong which he did...

? ·fa·ther
    ˈgädˌfäT͟Hər/Submit
    noun
    a male godparent.
    a man who is influential in a movement or organization, through providing support for it or through playing a leading or innovatory part in it.
    "the godfather of alternative comedy"
  • waterproof

@waterproof‌
    That's all he had to say. I had it wrong, I thought I had the years backward, but I figured ain't no way. All that other ? is corny my man.. A good rule of thumb is, don't type ? on a message board that you won't say to a ? grill. That keeps good discussions in line, and respectful. If I say anything, i'll put a name, city, side of city, phone number and all that on it. Basically anyting but a real address. If you not willing to do the same, keep the crazy talk to yourself.

Crying and ?
  • _Lefty

@waterproof‌

Crying and ?
    @waterproof‌

Never that. Just a man of respect. Internet included. If you don't understand that. Then ig ain't nothin else to say.
  • waterproof

@waterproof‌

Crying and ?
    @waterproof‌

Never that. Just a man of respect. Internet included. If you don't understand that. Then ig ain't nothin else to say.

Look here man if you looking for respect on the internet you need to check your priorities.

2nd of all man of a structure, never lose his calm and scream respect me, a man posture speaks for itself, and emotions losing your cool is a sign of weakness.

3rd of all if your feelings was hurt, which it seems like it was with your emotional rant tough guy talk then as a Man I'm sorry to hurt your feelings, now go find somebody to stroke your ego because it ain't happening here.

You see a man don't make threats If anything under them they don't even acknowledge it.

Peace, and let's keep this moving tough guy

• _Lefty

@waterproof‌

Crying and ?
    @waterproof‌

Look here man if you looking for respect on the internet you need to check your priorities.

2nd of all man of a structure, never lose his calm and scream respect me, a man posture speaks for itself, and emotions losing your cool is a sign of weakness.

3rd of all if your feelings was hurt, which it seems like it was with your emotional rant tough guy talk then as a Man I'm sorry to hurt your feelings, now go find somebody to stroke your ego because it ain't happening here.

You see a man don't make threats If anything under them they don't even acknowledge it.

Peace, and let's keep this moving tough guy

@waterproof‌
    Bruh.....You told me to sit in the corner, put on a dunce hat, and raise my hand when I had a question, but i'm the tough guy? I never threatened you, I just told you how I move. My personality is the same on a message board as it is movin around the city. Sayin what you mean don't make you emotional either, but if you feel that way so be it, it don't change my day. Internet or not, we still men talkin to men. I'm going to give total respect to the people around me, and ask for respect if a ? out of line, I don't give a ? if we was on Mars. Frontin on ? is against the rules in any setting, and you gotta be willing to stand on it. Every thorough dude know that. When you feel free to say things on the net that you won't say IRL that says something about you. I don't need to make that distinction. We don't understand each other so lets just leave it there. You got it big homie.
  • waterproof
    I think Kats got the term Godfather twisted calling Eazy the Godfather of Gangsta Rap does not mean he birthed it rather he took the honor to care for it and supported it to grow and become strong which he did...

? ·fa·ther
    ˈgädˌfäT͟Hər/Submit
    noun
    a male godparent.
    a man who is influential in a movement or organization, through providing support for it or through playing a leading or innovatory part in it.
    "the godfather of alternative comedy"

And there you go, the definition laid it all out for y'all to see, Etymology of words need to be studied, now you know why the white man get over you because y'all don't understand the science and definitions of words.

Name one Gangsta Rapper or emcee who was more influential in the movement of gangsta rap then Eazy E.

He is the Godfather of Gangsta Rap
  • Kwan Dai
    MoneyLuver wrote: »

As usual someone brings up commercial success to discredit the true creators, innovators, and pioneers.