Is Summerslam 1997 one of the most historically important shows in WWE history?

5th Letter
5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
Even though the product on television was mostly good. 1997 was their worst year in terms of profit. And they were close to going out of business.

After a bad WrestleMania 13, they needed to hit a home run with Summerslam.

Comments

• 5th Letter
    Let's breakdown the card.

Opening match.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley vs Mankind steel cage match.

One of the best SS openers ever if not the best. This feud started at the King of the Ring when HHH beat Mankind in the finals. After their Canadian Stampede match spilled all over the arena and outside. The cage stipulation was put in place to keep them confined to the ring. This was when you started to see a different side of both these guys. Hunter looked like he could be a main eventer and Mankind was evolving into his attitude era persona.

• 5th Letter
    Goldust vs Brian Pillman

Stipulation if Pillman loses he has to wear Marlena's dress. Decent match after a hot opener.

The Godwinns vs LOD

Okay match which had real heat due to Henry Godwin breaking his neck on a botched dooms day device a few months prior.

British Bulldog vs Ken Shamrock

European title match decent match and Shamrock snaps at the end. Memorial moment btw.

Los Boricuas vs DOA

Filler match although they had a feud going on at the time.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    If HBK is Mr.Wrestlemania than Hitman is MR.SummerSlam
  • Cliff Da Mont
    Cliff Da Mont Members Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
    If HBK is Mr.Wrestlemania than Hitman is MR.SummerSlam

Bret owned summer slam, even in the 80s he had some great matches there.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hadn't really thought about what this event meant but it was indeed a huge turning point, with Bret already heel going in turning Shawn too was a big step.

Austin's nightmarish injury, Mankind beginning the split personality gimmick officially things started to turn around on a dime it seemed.
  • 5th Letter
    Owen Hart vs Stone Cold Steve Austin

This was the semi main event. Owen pinned Steve at the Canadian Stampede 10 man tag a month prior. From there the ball rolled with this feud. At this point you knew he was going to be champion very soon. So giving him the IC title was a warmup. This match was very good but gets overshadowed by the botched pile driver. Owen being the savvy vet that he was didn't panic they audibled and made the best out of the situation. You could tell Vince was shook by the tone of his voice.
  • 5th Letter
    Bret Hart vs Undertaker with special referee Shawn Michaels

This was for the WWF Championship this was a great match and was a true contrast in styles. Michaels in the mix gave Shawn something to do on this show and it also made sense from a storyline perspective. This along with Mankind/HHH and Austin/Owen. Were the matches that really set the tone for the rest of the year. This match set the tone for what would happen at Survivor Series.
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 best summerslams

02, 92, 97, 98, 08
  • 5th Letter
    Answer = no

Why not?
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 best summerslams

02, 92, 97, 98, 08

I'm bout ready to add last year's event to that list over 2008. In fact I think 2011 & 2012 were better.

1992 & 2002 are still the GOATs.

• Dave2one6
    Dave2one6 Members Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wasnt watching wrestling at all in 97. at all. 98-2003 was my years. hit a hiatus, and its been 2012-present. dont judge me. ive been to 4 events since then.
  • MrJR
    MrJR Members Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭✭
    Shawn Michaels aka HBK is the most swag out person I know
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    I remember Owen started rocking those OWEN 3:16 I Just Broke Your Neck shirts
    Owen316.jpg

MrJR wrote: »
    Shawn Michaels aka HBK is the most swag out person I know

Shawn in 97-98 in his true assholeness was the greatest heel. He was the ultimate troll and it gave birth to DX. Then Jesus had to come and ? it up.

3137708_o.gif
    shawn-shawn-michaels-29732563-237-184.gif
    triple_h_and_shawn_michaels_by_volchicasing-d4w9xdp.gif
    v45gzs.jpg
    b5rurtv5u2o.gif
    [img]http://cdn.niketalk.com/e/e7/e72c7436_hbk-? -the-flag-o.gif[/img]
    tumblr_inline_n66eb3XpFh1rnptzn.gif
    hbk_vs_laptop_by_imtheoriginallestat-d35jwsf.gif
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIsb7Daf3jo
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah HBK top 5 greatest WWE heels
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    yep, and I was there.

2wox5b6.gif

no lie, I'm pretty sure Im one of those people in that front row by the summerslam sign. maybe the guy in the black shirt. I've actually never watched the event on broadcast. Maybe I'll torrent it.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember this pay per view. This was back in the day, when you had to order pay per view just to see it

That disgusting feeling when you was watching Sunday Night Heat & at the end of the show, everything start picking up for the pay per view & they cut the cameras because yo ass didn't have pay per view to watch it

I remember when HBK hit Undertaker in the head with that chair. I was like "ohhhhhhhh shss, shss just got real".

I was happy as hell tho because I wanted Bret to win
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    I remember this pay per view. This was back in the day, when you had to order pay per view just to see it

That disgusting feeling when you was watching Sunday Night Heat & at the end of the show, everything start picking up for the pay per view & they cut the cameras because yo ass didn't have pay per view to watch it

I remember when HBK hit Undertaker in the head with that chair. I was like "ohhhhhhhh shss, shss just got real".

I was happy as hell tho because I wanted Bret to win

There was no Heat back then.
  • 5th Letter
    He probably meant the Free For All that used to be on the preview channel.