Have You Guys Ever Been To A Hip-Hop Concert? (What Was Your Experience Like?)

Comments

• nyst8ofmin
    nyst8ofmin Members Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    notable concert....

fugees, tribe called quest, busta rhymes & cypress hill

DITC (fat joe, show & AG, Lord finesse, Diamond D, OC & Big L) --- big l's last show.

Big L tribute show---gangstarr, brand nubian, DITC

Wu & Rage against the machine

some rocafella tour in the 90's

black moon/BCC

kool g rap

nas

• Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Seen them all.
    Last show I went to was rock the bells 2012. Best line up they ever had or will have.

Don't need to see anything else. But G-unit when they 1st came out and Public Enemy a couple of years ago are hands down the best shows I've seen regardless of genre.
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Dana Dane - Summer of 1987

Run DMC and Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince - Summer of 1988

Leaders of the New School, Queen Latifah, Naughty By Nature, Kid n Play, Oaktown 357, Public Enemy and Geto Boys - 1991

X Clan and Gang Starr - 1992

Wu Tang and KRS One - New Years Eve 1993

A Tribe Called Quest and Beastie Boys - 1994

Black Star - Summer 1998

De La Soul - Summer of 1999

Now that I think about it, it's been a few years since I've paid money to see a rap show.

which one of these was your favorite?
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apoptosis wrote: »
    I went to a J.Cole concert. Hoes were fainting and ? when he came out.

yeah i been to 3 cole concerts and all 3 were live as ? . its funny how people say hes boring on here but his concerts be live as ? . the females at the concerts be some bad college biddies. but you still got ? in they late teens early 20's who are knowledgeable hip hop fans as well.

I used to go to more hip hop shows back in college from 08-12. But this year i only been to see Jay-Z. Honestly there are 3 things i hate about the majority of hip hop shows even ones with crazy energy:

1. Partial performances of songs (that a rapper could perform by themselves)

2. The DJ sounds/music being louder than a live band playing

3. Lazy rappers who depend too much on backing tracks or don't have showmanship to entertain a crowd

Don't get me wrong been to some dope hip hop shows. But honestly allot of these youngn's and even some older cats be putting on some weak shows.
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last time i went to a hip hop concert was here in st. louis.. It was an award show. seen a lot of locals i've never heard of before..

The one before that was eminem performing the same day he released relapse back in 09.. Not his biggest fan but, free tickets, why would i deny that?

They had Dj Jazzy Jeff djng to get the crowd hype before em went on stage.. scratching a bunch of song from people like black moon, Nas, ATCQ etc..

Personally, i liked Dj Jazzy Jeff Djing Better
  • Intelligent_Hoodlum
    Intelligent_Hoodlum Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    T.I came down to Austin a few weeks ago and got in free. Performance was live

Goat for the Jaguar Madden cover in ya sig
    You from Jacksonville bruh ?

• Intelligent_Hoodlum
    Intelligent_Hoodlum Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went to a concert last summer with Ice Cube , De La Soul , LL Cool J, and Public Enemy.

Chuck D had Flavor Flav and Professor Griff out there too, i didnt know flavor flav could play the drums & guitar, he pretty good at it too. Cube did all the classics that ? was live af during his set and WC was out there too. LL had the old school set up, just him, a microphone , and two turntables. He did his thing too closed out the show and had the ? going crazy.

Seen Kevin Gates, Don Trip and Starlito perform at Plush last year too though idk if you consider that a concert.
    Gates crazy ass was out there in sum FSU pajamas, some house slippers and a dress shirt with a tie lol
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know if he would count, but I went to a Tech N9ne show back when he was on that Hostile Takeover show in 2012 in Baltimore. I wasn't a huge or even casual fan but I won't lie, it was pretty dope.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    goldenja wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Dana Dane - Summer of 1987

Run DMC and Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince - Summer of 1988

Leaders of the New School, Queen Latifah, Naughty By Nature, Kid n Play, Oaktown 357, Public Enemy and Geto Boys - 1991

X Clan and Gang Starr - 1992

Wu Tang and KRS One - New Years Eve 1993

A Tribe Called Quest and Beastie Boys - 1994

Black Star - Summer 1998

De La Soul - Summer of 1999

Now that I think about it, it's been a few years since I've paid money to see a rap show.

which one of these was your favorite?

Easily the KRS One/ Wu Tang show on New Years Eve. The show was in New York City and everybody knew every word to every song. The crowd was jumping up and down to the beat of the music throughout his entire performance. If you didn't jump up and down with the crowd you would have gotten trampled.
  • IAmDopeSmoke
    IAmDopeSmoke Members Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Random question but how do u make a poll thread?
  • 5 Grand
    Random question but how do u make a poll thread?

Go to where it says "new topic" and choose "new poll"
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only been to two. My first one was at my colleges home coming. It was Wayne and he had Slick Rick opening up for him. This was 05, it was a dope show. Slick Rick really killed it, he free styled over bunch of different beats including Mobb Deep's Quiet Storm.

At one point he had his wife come on stage and she brought all this jewelry up on a big ass silver platter and he took the lid off put on like 5 big ass chains and rings and a big ass watch. It was dope, his energy was crazy.

Wayne's show was on point too, he was real engaged with the crowd. He performed for about an hour. What stood out is he had about 4 or 5 snow bunny groupies on stage the whole time. I was hoping he was gonna do his part of Back That Ass up and have them shake something. Lol. No such luck tho.

What's crazy though is the very next week he dropped Fireman and his style on that joint was way different than anything else he had done. I was like damn, is this the same ? ?
  • Mr_Vicodin81G
    Mr_Vicodin81G Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw Three 6 Mafia at a club down here in Dallas. Was live as hell. Got 2 meet Project Pat and DJ Paul after it was over. Pat was cool as hell. Thanking us 4 the support. This was around When The Smoke Clears came out. They had a bus with the album cover on it. Was a trill ass night
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My most recent concert was Kendrick Lamar, this was bout a year ago. He had SBQ with him. The whole show was dope. SBQ got pretty good stage presence it's just that alotta people didn't know his catalogue and some didn't who he was. But they was rocking with him.

Kendrick was on point, he performed a bunch of his ? . He kept the crowd involved also. And the venue was crazy, imagine a K Dot and SBQ concert in a place like this

Louisville-Palace-2.jpg

1.jpg

That night this classy ass place was filled with skinny jeans, Jordan's and blunts.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
    A$AP_A$TON wrote: »
    My most recent concert was Kendrick Lamar, this was bout a year ago. He had SBQ with him. The whole show was dope. SBQ got pretty good stage presence it's just that alotta people didn't know his catalogue and some didn't who he was. But they was rocking with him.

Kendrick was on point, he performed a bunch of his ? . He kept the crowd involved also. And the venue was crazy, imagine a K Dot and SBQ concert in a place like this

Louisville-Palace-2.jpg

1.jpg

That night this classy ass place was filled with skinny jeans, Jordan's and blunts.

Cool bruh. I think I might try to go to some Battle Rap shows and Hip-Hop Expos in the future.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I been to so many shows
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    i went to that Jay & Bey at metlife joint like 2 weeks ago ? was decent
  • Rum Middleton
    Rum Middleton Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was at the Lox concert in Philly in the summer of '08 at the Trocadero Center...Tyga opened up for them...During Tyga's set, ? was yellin DDDDDD- BBBLLOOOCCCKKKKK throughout the whole ? ...? was mad funny, Tyga's boy Gata got hurt feelings, wanted to fight ? in the crowd, ? was throwin bottles and coins and other ? ...

Tyga was real professional about it, he told his boy to chill...said let's not stoop down to their level, son finished his set and bounced out.....

Now the Lox come out...they doin their thing, I notice Jada pickin ? up from the stage while he rappin, not missin a beat, in between songs this ? says, I know ya'll see me pickin this money up, ? it, stack everything (? pickin up quarters and dimes and ? and puttin them in his pockets) ? said dont get it twisted though, I get money and pulled out this fat ass wad of dough...
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does Foreign Exchange count?
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i went to that Jay & Bey at metlife joint like 2 weeks ago ? was decent

I was there too
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my favorite concert was a de la soul, dialated peoples, atcq, and little brother show. it started at 7pm on time which was shocking. ended at 5am. plug one and tip freestyled/battled which was dope. during the dilated peoples set babu rolled a blunt while scratching. that was ill. little brother performed the listening and the minstrel show in its entirety. and I was front row. well worth the $40 bucks I spent
  • 5 Grand
    I forgot to mention I took my daughter to a few old school Hip Hop shows. I took her to the Zulu Nation Anniversary in Harlem back in 2005 for her 5th birthday and DJ Jazzy Jay was spinning. She was fascinated by the people taking turns breakdancing and even went in the circle herself and tried to get down.

Then the following summer I took her to see the Cold Crush Brothers at Crotona Park in The Bronx.

Unfortunately me and her mother split up and I don't see her as much.
  • CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    schoolboy q,ab-soul and big krit on smokers club tour was live as ?
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i guess the closest thing to one were the ones where my and my boys opened up for artists in clubs, and when dj unk, baby d, and rick ross came to a homecoming at my community college, that was pretty dope, not too many concerts in the town im in tho, prolly coulda went to more when i was at ole miss, soulja boy did a show there once that was str8 too, yes i really just said that.
    Hail State! Haha
    Your from the Sipp? And if so, what city?

I've been to a few concerts. Saw Juvenile when I was a kid. Seen Big Krit a few times. He came to my university's spring fest, and I saw him perform at the club this past 4th of July weekend. He puts on a very good show.
    Also saw TI, Juicy J, Ross, and Wayne at my university's homecomings.